Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mentone, Parkdale and Beaumaris...

Mentone, Parkdale and Beaumaris...

Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Mentone, Parkdale and Beaumaris...

Hi,
I was wandering if anyone could give me any information on these areas of Melbourne. Me and the wife are due to arrive on the 10th of May, we have free Accomadation for a month and then need to find somewhere to rent.
I have done some research on net and these areas seem to have a good balance. Although I won't know until i get there I was wandering what you could get for 350-400 a week (rent) and if it is difficult to rent in that area through popular demand?
Any comments appreciated!!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:55 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mentone, Parkdale and Beaumaris...

Originally Posted by 29palms
Hi,
I was wandering if anyone could give me any information on these areas of Melbourne. Me and the wife are due to arrive on the 10th of May, we have free Accomadation for a month and then need to find somewhere to rent.
I have done some research on net and these areas seem to have a good balance. Although I won't know until i get there I was wandering what you could get for 350-400 a week (rent) and if it is difficult to rent in that area through popular demand?
Any comments appreciated!!
Hi, what do you want for that price in relation to bedrooms, near schools, etc??

Lots of rental properties in this area, various prices, various states of repair.

Eg we rent a (rather dated inside) 4 bed (main with ensuite) + study, dining kitchen, dining area, lounge area, rumpus (play room), laundry solar heated pool with pool and garden maintenance included for $500 per week. It doesn't have air con and it has two gas heaters so on cold nights (on occasions over a period of about 3 months so not often) we use plug in portable radiators to heat the childrens wing and the rumpus room.

It's not beautiful but it had ticks in all our boxes. It's in a nice area just on the border of Beaumaris and Cheltenham.

If you are wanting a modern place in your price range and you don't mind a town house you should be ok in your price range. If you don't mind an older property you could get this in your price range also.

You don't state if you have been here? if you have you will know that houses the 'right side of the highway' are a lot more expensive than houses the other.

On "the other' you would find houses in this price range no problem.

What exactly do you require?

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PM melibeam (hopefully she wont mind) she lives in one of those burbs and its nice Sea's at the end of the road...
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Thanks for reply.
I have never been to Oz in my life! but have got a job there and will be
arriving May 10th.(Looking forward to experiencing Melbourne)
We don't have kids so schools are not an issue. I would be looking for somewhere modern and on the beach side of the Nepean Highway. I have had a look on realestate.com and there seems to be a few modern townhouses in mentone that have been on the website for a while as I have been keeping an eye on them. Also they seem to be coming down in price(weekly rent) every week? They look really nice and wandering what the state of play was for renting in these areas. Are they not shifting to rent or is it not a desirable demanding area.? ie it should be no problem getting somewhere decent to rent in these areas.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:25 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for reply.
We don't have kids so schools are not an issue. I would be looking for somewhere modern and on the beach side of the Nepean Highway. I have had a look on realestate.com and there seems to be a few modern townhouses in mentone that have been on the website for a while as I have been keeping an eye on them. Also they seem to be coming down in price(weekly rent) every week? They look really nice and wandering what the state of play was for renting in these areas. Are they not shifting to rent or is it not a desirable demanding area.? ie it should be no problem getting somewhere decent to rent in these areas.
You should have no probs, very desirable areas...do you want to tell me the streets? I can prob tell you if there may be a location reason (ie backing onto a railway! in flight path etc...)

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi...
Well The properties I have been looking at in Mentone are on the following streets:
Charman Road
Latrose Street
Balcombe Road
Collins Street.

Also do you know what Highett is like?

Much Appreciated

Michael
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:43 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for reply.

nice area, not absolute beachfront as it is about a 15 min walk to beach RIGHT NEXT TO RAILWAY - this may or may not be a problem to you http://www.realestateview.com.au/cgi...=729608&rev=on

Gorgeous area, only downside (if I'm clutching to find any) is that it is near a small Catholic school so may be a problem of dropping off/ picking up and parking near your house, if you are around at these times. Bonus of a tennis court there for you (as there are on every second block in Beaumaris!) Walk to beach and shops and restaurants in 5 mins - need transport to get to a train station. http://www.realestateview.com.au/cgi...=737781&rev=on

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=4640808 and pool! imagine it would be dated though and pool wouldn't be heated. Great location near shops - 15 min walk to beach 20 min walk to station.

I haven't visited any of these places just giving you local knowledge and my opinion!

If I can be of any more help (if I have been) just ask.

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:53 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Hi...
Well The properties I have been looking at in Mentone are on the following streets:
Charman Road
Latrose Street
Balcombe Road
Collins Street.

Also do you know what Highett is like?

Much Appreciated

Michael
All nice but some ends of the street more preferable! Charman Road is the main road from the beach into Cheltenham, I'd have no problem there but would check for parking in some. Latrobe Street and Collins Street, good end and the "bad end" as some would say is near the railway and Nepean - we will be buying in the really 'bad area' on the 'wrong side of the highway' so when I say bad end it is mainly in jest but how it is thought of by some in the area. You can't really get a bad area around here!

Highett, there are some very nice areas and some not so nice areas. Some of the houses are the equivalent of housing authority houses and therefore in some cases there may not be as much care taken of them as others (not in all cases).

Have you thought of black rock? http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Louise
Thankyou very much for your help. That gives me more information to take on board. Thanks for the links as well.
What area of Melbourne do you live?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:10 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Hi Louise
Thankyou very much for your help. That gives me more information to take on board. Thanks for the links as well.
What area of Melbourne do you live?
Beaumaris- just!

The side of the street I live on (even numbers) is in Beaumaris and the odd numbers are Cheltenham. So I am right on the border.

Lived here (in Beauy but not same house) for 2.5 years and love it. Hope you are happy where you settle. Happy to help out if I can. Will you be working in the city?

Louise.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Kirkcaldy fife to Perth been here almost 2 years.

Fab place to live and ever so friendly dont know if we will always remain here as we have the travel bug now.

Visited lots of places in Europe but never Australia brfore we emigrated .

it was so scary making the move to a place we have never visited before but now it makes us feel that anything is possible.

Really dont think either of us would have any reservations about up and moving again.

mags
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
Kirkcaldy fife to Perth been here almost 2 years.

Fab place to live and ever so friendly dont know if we will always remain here as we have the travel bug now.

Visited lots of places in Europe but never Australia brfore we emigrated .

it was so scary making the move to a place we have never visited before but now it makes us feel that anything is possible.

Really dont think either of us would have any reservations about up and moving again.

mags

oops one too many drinks replied to wrong thread lol
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:21 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maggy
oops one too many drinks replied to wrong thread lol

Thats ok, I love Perth too! Glad you are happy, you have a bit longer to get over the hangover on your time line don't you!

Can't believe I am still awake at stupid o'clock ...lots of things going through my mind at the moment and can't seem to settle ...
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ljj
Thats ok, I love Perth too! Glad you are happy, you have a bit longer to get over the hangover on your time line don't you!

Can't believe I am still awake at stupid o'clock ...lots of things going through my mind at the moment and can't seem to settle ...

You need some Horlicks.

Hope everything is ok.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:33 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bordy
You need some Horlicks.

Hope everything is ok.
Thanks just keep fingers crossed for me ....I was thinking more a Sav Blanc
L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.