Mentone, Melbourne

Mentone, Melbourne

Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:10 am
JP1
Forum Regular

JP1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mentone, Melbourne

Hi,

Me and the missus are living in Sydney at the moment but are considering moving to Melbourne, mainly due to the (slightly) more reasonable house prices. We were there over the New Year and the Mentone area seemed pretty good. We are looking to get on the ladder and would prob want to spend no more than $400,000 ($450,000 at a push). We would be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house. It would not need to be next to the beach (fat chance), just in reasonably good condition and not on a major road etc etc. Does this sound like a reasonable proposition in Menton or surrounding areas? If not, where else in Melbourne should we consider?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mentone, Melbourne

Originally Posted by JP1
Hi,

Me and the missus are living in Sydney at the moment but are considering moving to Melbourne, mainly due to the (slightly) more reasonable house prices. We were there over the New Year and the Mentone area seemed pretty good. We are looking to get on the ladder and would prob want to spend no more than $400,000 ($450,000 at a push). We would be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house. It would not need to be next to the beach (fat chance), just in reasonably good condition and not on a major road etc etc. Does this sound like a reasonable proposition in Menton or surrounding areas? If not, where else in Melbourne should we consider?

Many thanks.
Hmmm seems to be affordable -

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:18 am
JP1
Forum Regular

Default Re: Mentone, Melbourne

Many thanks for that. I have seen a few places on housing sites which look fine, just not too sure if they match up to the blurb!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmmm seems to be affordable -

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mentone, Melbourne

Originally Posted by JP1
Many thanks for that. I have seen a few places on housing sites which look fine, just not too sure if they match up to the blurb!

I honestly don't think you can tell this until you see them "in the flesh". Estate Agents details will obviously present a property in the best light.

eg Large 5 bedroom house with good sized garden, while truthful, could mean -

Poorly kept up wreck overlooked by factory on motorway.

But you don't need me to tell you that!!!

Treat Estate Agents websites as a guide only!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 5:17 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Couple of members live in Mentone, Vanessa & Melibeam. I think Melibeam might be on holiday up at the Gold Coast but I'm sure if Vanessa is not out on her new bike all day she will answer you later.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:02 am
JP1
Forum Regular

Just moving this back up in case anyone living in the Mentone area is on-line. Any info will be gratefully received!!

Many thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Mentone median price is approx $500K which was up 43% on 12 months before! Surrounding suburbs are more expensive eg Parkdale to south $510K Beaumaris to the northish $710K but if you move inland eg Dingley ($320K) you can see what that does to prices. $400K would be possible in Mentone but as you say it won't be near the water and it might be near or on a main road. There must be property at this price though - check domain.com.au, realestate.com.au and realestateview.com.au. I could suggest other areas but I'll see how you react to this.

OzTennis
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:27 pm
Lotto = tax on dumass's

ur_a_noob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Mentone median price is approx $500K which was up 43% on 12 months before! Surrounding suburbs are more expensive eg Parkdale to south $510K Beaumaris to the northish $710K but if you move inland eg Dingley ($320K) you can see what that does to prices. $400K would be possible in Mentone but as you say it won't be near the water and it might be near or on a main road. There must be property at this price though - check domain.com.au, realestate.com.au and realestateview.com.au. I could suggest other areas but I'll see how you react to this.

OzTennis
i live in mentone it is nice but expensive there is nice shops and not much crime and lots of schools ps i am melibeams son
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ur_a_noob
i live in mentone it is nice but expensive there is nice shops and not much crime and lots of schools ps i am melibeams son
Nice to see you posting. I agree, Mentone is a very nice suburb. If you can look across the water to Williamstown you will see where I come from but I live in Scotland at the moment. Are you living close to Beach Road or are you a bit inland?

OzTennis
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:17 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ur_a_noob

Not much crime until you came along you mean.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:34 pm
Lotto = tax on dumass's

ur_a_noob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Not much crime until you came along you mean.
live near the beach just 1 minute walk down the road.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:00 am
JP1
Forum Regular

Great - thanks for the info. What do you think a "reasonable" 3 bedder house might cost in the Mentone area? Just looking for a very ball park figure.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Couple of members live in Mentone, Vanessa & Melibeam. I think Melibeam might be on holiday up at the Gold Coast but I'm sure if Vanessa is not out on her new bike all day she will answer you later.
I was out on it and got all the way to St Kilda and got a bloody puncture. Had to walk back to Mentone as I didn't take any money with me so couldn't get it fixed and hubbie in meetings all day.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:31 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I was out on it and got all the way to St Kilda and got a bloody puncture. Had to walk back to Mentone as I didn't take any money with me so couldn't get it fixed and hubbie in meetings all day.
That's one way of getting fit
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:33 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JP1
Great - thanks for the info. What do you think a "reasonable" 3 bedder house might cost in the Mentone area? Just looking for a very ball park figure.
You could get something that is set back from the Beach Road for about the money you are looking for which I believe you said about $400,000 but it wouldn't be very big.

Lots of agents around here - Hocking Stuart, Buxtons are two of the most popular. Property prices start to drop once you pass Beaumaurice.

We are only renting at the moment and the owner has sold the property so in July when the lease is up we will be looking to move nearer to town.

There are a few BE around here but not met any of them except Melibeam (sp) who is lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.