Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Men's advice needed......

Men's advice needed......

Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:14 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Men's advice needed......

Okay, this isn't the original article, but says the same stuff

Why do men keep flicking through the channels with the remote control?

FOR thousands of years, men
would return from the hunt
at the end of the day and
spend the evening just gazing
into the fire for long periods,
without communicating.

Fire-gazing was a valuable
form of stress relief, and a
way to recharge his batteries.
For the modem man, fire-
gazing still occurs at the end
of the day, but now Involves
tools like remote controls.
Actually the whole article is a bit disturbing

http://www.zakie.fsnet.co.uk/ChatRoo...deadlysins.htm

It would seem we have been sussed
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by brisnick
i used to think that there were these things you could put on a gas bbq that gave the food the 'wood smoked' falvour of a wood/charcoal bbq. it sat underneath the grill, but over the flame. anyone know if i dreamt this up, or maybe this is how i can make my millions....

and what's with the hotplate on a bbq?? might as well fry your food.

i have a charcoal bbq right now, and it takes too bloody long to get going. so when i get a gas one i'm gonna make sure it doesn't have a hotplate, or it's at least removable.
You were not dreaming, and you can get them here. I saw some bags of it in KMart last year.

Most gas BBQ have the removable grills and/or hotplates, so you can choose which one to use. The flat hotplate is better for doing fried eggs than the open grill option

Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
As a Saffa I'm a purist when it comes to Braaiing (BBQing). Gas BBQs are for Aussies & Poms because they don't know how to BBQ properly & any monkey can cook with gas. Get a proper BBQ (Weber is a good make) that uses Wood or failing that, charcoal. The best BBQ is make from half an oil drum with some legs welded on & some steel mesh to put the meat on, but that might be a hassle to make.

Resist the gas, they are for Aussies.
I'm with you Amazulu, I deeply regret allowing my wife to nag me in to getting a gas one - it's crap. Well, it's actually better than the electric hob we have in our (rented house) kitchen, so I often use it for general cooking.

However I'm going to be looking to get a "proper" Weber barbie or the like for this summer, you just can't beat cooking with charcoal. Everything else is an imitation.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brisnick
i used to think that there were these things you could put on a gas bbq that gave the food the 'wood smoked' falvour of a wood/charcoal bbq. it sat underneath the grill, but over the flame. anyone know if i dreamt this up, or maybe this is how i can make my millions....

and what's with the hotplate on a bbq?? might as well fry your food.

i have a charcoal bbq right now, and it takes too bloody long to get going. so when i get a gas one i'm gonna make sure it doesn't have a hotplate, or it's at least removable.
Here yer is:

"The Original Ceramic Barbecue Grill!

The Kamado excels as a charcoal grill, a gas grill, or a combination of both!
Use your Kamado as a smoker, grill, or oven.
Enjoy the flavor of charcoal cooking with the convenience of propane, natural gas, or electricity.

Food smoked, broiled, or baked in our original ceramic Kamado has always tasted different and better.
"

Whack a bit o' gas in 'er, light blue touch paper and run like bloody 'ell.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:51 am
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough

I am going to be buying a BBQ soon as the weather hots up and live the australian dream of BBQing in the back yard with all my mates around for a bite and a swig.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Megalania
Here yer is:

"The Original Ceramic Barbecue Grill!

The Kamado excels as a charcoal grill, a gas grill, or a combination of both!
Use your Kamado as a smoker, grill, or oven.
Enjoy the flavor of charcoal cooking with the convenience of propane, natural gas, or electricity.

Food smoked, broiled, or baked in our original ceramic Kamado has always tasted different and better.
"

Whack a bit o' gas in 'er, light blue touch paper and run like bloody 'ell.

OOOOH!! I LIKE THAT ONE
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:44 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

BBQ are about the plate and the output of the burners. If the output is too low you wont get enough heat through and therefore you will be stewing the meat rather than getting that sizzle. The plate is just like your pots cheap thin ones burn unevenly and cool down quickly. The rest is just looks and ease of cleaning etc.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:47 am
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough

Who let Uri Geller in here?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
BBQ are about the plate and the output of the burners. If the output is too low you wont get enough heat through and therefore you will be stewing the meat rather than getting that sizzle. The plate is just like your pots cheap thin ones burn unevenly and cool down quickly. The rest is just looks and ease of cleaning etc.
Ahhhh! will point that out to Mr L. cheers
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:12 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by logan
megalania...now we're talking!! could double up as a sunbed too :scared:

Well, we visited BBQ Galore... he was in heaven...but slightly disappointed in a couple of things in comparison to a slightly more expensive one in K-mart. ie. the hinge action on the lid...bit wobbly, not too robust and the drip tray was like you'd get a chinese takeaway in?! Went to Bunnings, who favour one brand only, and were slightly torn till I pointed out it wasn't so robust either......

sooooo....big drum role...(oh the excitement ) I think it's gonna be a Jackaroo (think that was the name) 6 burner with side burner, little cupboard at the bottom, a set of big wheels one end and wee wheels t'other, all for $599 reduced from $799.

Well glad that's sorted...now just need the outdoor furniture set, the pool recliners, etc, etc........................
Hi Logan,

Ours is a Jackaroo 6 burner with side burner, big wheels etc etc - alas no cupboard underneath - but we got that for the fab price of $329 reduced from $599 from KMart. Not worth paying $599 for one just for a cupboard eh!!!

Is the one you've decided on from Kamrt???

Shell
x
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Logan,

Ours is a Jackaroo 6 burner with side burner, big wheels etc etc - alas no cupboard underneath - but we got that for the fab price of $329 reduced from $599 from KMart. Not worth paying $599 for one just for a cupboard eh!!!

Is the one you've decided on from Kamrt???

Shell
x
Yeh, but I don't think he could find yours! It's a Jackaroo too....only paid so much attention!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:46 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
BBQ are about the plate and the output of the burners. .

No you are thinking of an outdoor gas cooker.

BBQs are about charcoal, and fires and smokey flavours etc etc....