British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   MELLY TRAMS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melly-trams-741937/)

MUST LEAVE UK Dec 14th 2011 7:53 pm

MELLY TRAMS

So how easy it is to get about Melbourne CBD. I'm fine with London underground, hell I think it's fab.
So how does it work on the trams. The routes seen hard to get my head around looking at a map. As I don't know the street names (stations are easier).
Do you just hop on an off onto another one to get places ??.

Also I take it they don't run very late ??. So getting from Southern cross to hotel in Prahran after late night flight arrival, will be taxi only ??:)

bcworld Dec 14th 2011 8:06 pm

Re: MELLY TRAMS

If there is more than one of you you should just get a cab from the airport as the price difference will be small compared to bus + tram tickets / taxi fares.

You will probably run out of public transport options shortly after midnight.

Most trams out to Prahran, South Yarra area run down Swanston St rather than past Southern Cross. If you are planning before midnight then it would probably be an easy tram change. Bear in mind there are train stations at Prahran & South Yarra which might be better options if you're at Southern Cross.

ozzieeagle Dec 14th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK (Post 9788804)
So how easy it is to get about Melbourne CBD. I'm fine with London underground, hell I think it's fab.
So how does it work on the trams. The routes seen hard to get my head around looking at a map. As I don't know the street names (stations are easier).
Do you just hop on an off onto another one to get places ??.

Also I take it they don't run very late ??. So getting from Southern cross to hotel in Prahran after late night flight arrival, will be taxi only ??:)

Should be less than 60 bucks for your Taxi ride from the airport... Hence if there are Two people in the cab it's a cheaper option. The Sky Bus goes every 15 mins to Southern Cross and thats only 16 bucks.

http://www.skybus.com.au/

Got to admit I hardly know the Tram Network out of my area... I'd use them at least once a week and I've been here 30 years. So It's not that easy to learn. Not like the London Underground at anyrate.

PompeyRMNinMelb Dec 15th 2011 4:10 am

Hiya
your train ticket, can be used on all public transport. So regardless of where you bought it, you can use train ticket for bus/tram or train. Great eh?

Trams run very regularly pre midnight.

Public transport is the only way to get around the city (called CBD-central business district) as car parks are very ltd, and pricey.

Get a cab from airport to city, as bus/tram/train will be roughly the same amount, and YOU have to lug the suitcases.

Tram's for tall people who are new to Melbourne: they stink like a cab drivers armpit. You cant see out the windows as they've got posters blocking your view unless you are sat down. The driver will pretend not to speak english so that he does not have to assist you. Best to ask a fellow passenger to nudge you to get off.

And the friggin trains....
I used to get very confused, as most places have 2 names, its old one, and the new one. The train timetable uses the new one, the passenger info uses the old name. Watergardens and Sydenham for instance are the same place.
Also, instead of telling you all the stop between where you are, and where you want to be, so you can count the stops, and get up n off at stop 8, your given the info "stops all stations to xxx" helpful huh?

YOu get used to it, eventually, or you get even and get a car.
I chose to get a car.

MUST LEAVE UK Dec 15th 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info. At least if I get lost, I won't end up to far out.

Wouldn't even dream of driving in the CBD.

Anyone know why all the flight seem to arrive at stupid times. Seems to be either 6am or 10pm. Must be a reason ??:o