Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melburne (Richmond)

Melburne (Richmond)

Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:16 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Melburne (Richmond)

Hi has anyone ANY info on this suburb, in particular schools, thanx a million
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melburne (Richmond)

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Hi Margaret

Its very very close to the CBD so is highly populated. You should ask shakamaty about the schools. We will be very close so you will have some friendly brits nearby to pop over and have a cuppa with.

We had our buyers agent over last night and in discussion like all areas there are good and bad parts - the areas in Richmond to avoid are near some social housing or think they call it Govt assisted over here.

The positives I have seen are its close to the MCG. Close to some really decent restaurants. Punt Road however is apparently one of the busiest roads in the state.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Sear...sort=price-asc

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Subu...earchTerm=3121

Kiwi

Last edited by thebears; Jul 25th 2006 at 11:35 pm. Reason: links to add
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:51 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to live in richmond, it has Lygon st nearby which means fantastic Italian restaurants. In Richmond itself you have loads of Vietnamese, Chinese and greek restaurants.

You'll also be close to Brunswick st, good restaurants and bars.

Smith st cheap sports clothing.

A stones throw from the city, the 'G' and the botanical gdns.

I have no idea about the schools but being inner city I would Imagine there would be some top ones in the area.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said it is very inner city. Do you definitely have to live there or could you travel in from another suburb? I can look up which schools are in the area on my Melways for you - do you want primary or secondary?
Hawthorn and Kew are very nice suburbs and not too far away from Richmond. PM me if you want me to find any further info for you,

Ruth
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:01 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Awright Maigret,

Although Richmond is more for DINKYS, SINKYS etc, young professionals and all that kind of stuff, there are various residential streets there.

But if I have read your situation correctly, you might want somewhere a bit quieter?

p.s. Whauraboots in Ayrshire are you guys, ah wiz doon in Maybole recently, so ah wiz.

Last edited by mackinnon; Jul 26th 2006 at 2:32 am.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I work in Richmond (just by Bridge Road) & a few of my colleagues live around here.

The general consensus seems to be that for childless couples it is great, but once the kids come along its time to move out to the suburbs where the houses & blocks are bigger, the state secondary schools are better and there are less social issues ie less junkies and other dropkicks
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:00 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pootle
As others have said it is very inner city. Do you definitely have to live there or could you travel in from another suburb? I can look up which schools are in the area on my Melways for you - do you want primary or secondary?
Hawthorn and Kew are very nice suburbs and not too far away from Richmond. PM me if you want me to find any further info for you,

Ruth

Thanks all.

Ruth after reading the replies it sounds great and ...................hectic ...............so think i would consider a suburb close by, again would be dead grateful for any info
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Awright Maigret,

Although Richmond is more for DINKYS, SINKYS etc, young professionals and all that kind of stuff, there are various residential streets there.

But if I have read your situation correctly, you might want somewhere a bit quieter?

p.s. Whauraboots in Ayrshire are you guys, ah wiz doon in Maybole recently, so ah wiz.

Hi mackinnon, as you said, it does sound a bit hectic for me, i can hardly cope with a night out Glasgow, lol,lol.

I stay in Killie and i consider this pretty big,ha,ha,ha
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Margaret

Its very very close to the CBD so is highly populated. You should ask shakamaty about the schools. We will be very close so you will have some friendly brits nearby to pop over and have a cuppa with.

We had our buyers agent over last night and in discussion like all areas there are good and bad parts - the areas in Richmond to avoid are near some social housing or think they call it Govt assisted over here.

The positives I have seen are its close to the MCG. Close to some really decent restaurants. Punt Road however is apparently one of the busiest roads in the state.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Sear...sort=price-asc

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Subu...earchTerm=3121

Kiwi

Hi thanx for that, have just answered as just managed to pick myself off the floor when i looked at the price of houses, lol
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:35 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanx for that, have just answered as just managed to pick myself off the floor when i looked at the price of houses, lol
What about seaford? its by the sea and going to boom in next 2 to 5 years with the eastern extns.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by thebears
What about seaford? its by the sea and going to boom in next 2 to 5 years with the eastern extns.

Cheers , will definately have a look, thanx again

By the sea would be my ideal

I dreamt last night i went to richmond and hated it , and was desperately looking for somewhere in Frankston
Definately getting to me, wish i was there and settled
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers , will definately have a look, thanx again

By the sea would be my ideal

I dreamt last night i went to richmond and hated it , and was desperately looking for somewhere in Frankston
Definately getting to me, wish i was there and settled
How far do you want to travel? Seaford would be at least an hour each way in non rush hour traffic. I'm not fussed with the bayside myself - quite cold and windy down that way in the winter. There are plenty of bayside suburbs further in, but IMHO it wouldn't be an easy route in to Richmond. I would look at the Eastern suburbs - Hawthorn, Kew, Glen Iris, Camberwell, Balwyn etc...
It depends on how far you want to travel, your budget for buying/renting, if you'll be travelling by car or train etc. When do you plan to move?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:27 am

How far do you want to travel? Seaford would be at least an hour each way in non rush hour traffic. I'm not fussed with the bayside myself - quite cold and windy down that way in the winter. There are plenty of bayside suburbs further in, but IMHO it wouldn't be an easy route in to Richmond. I would look at the Eastern suburbs - Hawthorn, Kew, Glen Iris, Camberwell, Balwyn etc...
It depends on how far you want to travel, your budget for buying/renting, if you'll be travelling by car or train etc. When do you plan to move?

Hi , am at work just now, and spoke to a colleague who said the same thing, but thinks i would be more suited in Franston, but i have a teen who wants the biz , thanks will look at the suburbs you mentioned Thinking of Richmond coz i have been offered a job there (am a nurse)

am planning to be there beginning Dec

Obviously will rent, to be honest , don't know if i will ever be able to buy anywhere in aus as will be coming with an absoulte max of £30,000, will really depend if hubby gets a decent job, he is a printer, with lots of experience, so near the city would probably be good for that

Last edited by Margaret2; Jul 26th 2006 at 9:30 am.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:32 am
Melbourne Australia

I thought the Richmond was just an option for a suburb not for work as well. With your budget Margaret what about Ringwood or out Glen Waverley/Burwood way?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:33 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret,

Didnae think you'd look at Richmond to move to, although I know the job might be there. ( have you accepted it? )
Look at Fitzroy,Brunswick,Clifton Hill ( where I used to live - ask me ANYTHING! )Caulfield,Elwood,Elstenwick,Brighton,St Kilda,Beaumaris,Black Rock and Bentleigh as well as what the previous poster mentioned. All are within easy travelling distance to the CBD and it's surrounds.You'll find some reasonably priced houses in those areas IF you keep your eyes peeled and check out the other sites I gave you ( buxton and realestateview )
Check out Chadstone as well ( HUGE shopping centre there and a half hour drive from the CBD )
Hope this helps gorgeous.

*pearly*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.