British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne's Most Liveable Suburbs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbournes-most-liveable-suburbs-354887/)

DJMA Feb 13th 2006 8:24 pm

Melbourne's Most Liveable Suburbs

1 Attachment(s)
I found the attached study giving a guide to how liveable each of the Melbourne suburbs is. Based on my knowledge of Melbourne, picked up over the last 4 months, I would agree with a lot of the scores. It rates each suburb on 14 different criteria, with 5 being the best score and 0 the worst. I don't know what the source of the data is, but it might help people narrow down the areas they are looking at or add some they hadn't even thought of.

I hope it is of some use, and appologies if someone has already posted this.

DJMA

rcladin Feb 13th 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Melbourne's Most Liveable Suburbs

Interesting it would be useful to be able to manipulate to see the best performans, i wouldn't mind living in prahan or south yarra according to the figures

ljj Feb 13th 2006 11:33 pm

I can't open it??? can you just post the web address for me?

Louise

haggis supper Feb 13th 2006 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by ljj

Louise

Not that useful Louise. Beauy rates high (good) for congestion, schools and beaches proximity but low on tram, CBD proximity, shops (have they ever been to the councourse ?!) and cafes/restaurants. Also we have lots of trees.

ljj Feb 13th 2006 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Not that useful Louise. Beauy rates high (good) for congestion, schools and beaches proximity but low on tram, CBD proximity, shops (have they ever been to the councourse ?!) and cafes/restaurants. Also we have lots of trees.

Trees are bad???

Pootle Feb 14th 2006 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ljj

Louise

Try here:
http://www.theage.com.au/ed_docs/indicatordata2.pdf

Ruth

haggis supper Feb 14th 2006 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ljj
Trees are bad???

Apparently not, we scored high for trees. Not entirely clear why.

ljj Feb 14th 2006 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Pootle

thankyou. :)

BadgeIsBack Feb 14th 2006 1:31 am

To a point, it's meaningless, just a list of features, really, not 'liveability' (desirability)
IE you may live in a 1m$ home but you score 0 for trees and transport. I suppose though if you add up all the points then the total would be indicative.

There are crap suburbs on there, scoring high even though noone wants to live there just because they have shops and 'open space' (my arse). THe survey does not capture subjective 'feel'.

My suburb is not even on the list. Good. ;)

amendoza Feb 14th 2006 4:18 am

Originally Posted by DJMA
I found the attached study giving a guide to how liveable each of the Melbourne suburbs is. Based on my knowledge of Melbourne, picked up over the last 4 months, I would agree with a lot of the scores. It rates each suburb on 14 different criteria, with 5 being the best score and 0 the worst. I don't know what the source of the data is, but it might help people narrow down the areas they are looking at or add some they hadn't even thought of.

I hope it is of some use, and appologies if someone has already posted this.

DJMA

Glad to know my choice of suburb is ok - Essendon North. Particularly valuable if you look at the crime rate rating esp since we have kids. Not much open space, well, probably, the trees took over the spaces! :) Still ok to me! Of course, data are still data. They can still be erratic.
But DJMA, it still is valuable info. Thanks...

Cheers,
Hannah

jskogsta Feb 22nd 2006 10:19 am

Originally Posted by rcladin
Interesting it would be useful to be able to manipulate to see the best performans, i wouldn't mind living in prahan or south yarra according to the figures

No wonder as they are probably the most expensive and "cool" places to be in Melb. :) Toorak is just .. VERY likable. If I had 1MAUD to pay for a decent apartment, we would live there too! :)

/Jorgen