Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne's Best Restaurants?

Melbourne's Best Restaurants?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:30 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne's Best Restaurants?

I'm looking for some opinions on Melbourne's best restaurants. I'm looking for central locations with top quality food and service.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne's Best Restaurants?

Originally Posted by herrchook
I'm looking for some opinions on Melbourne's best restaurants. I'm looking for central locations with top quality food and service.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Gosh Gill that is a difficult question - one man's meat is another man's poison or so they say. Personally and probably not in order are

Pearl (fabulous duck curry)
MoVida and now they new one MoVida Aqui (not terribly 'posh' setting but quality food)
Rockpool - a bit blokey but great steak and service - their 4 tastes of the sea starter is really good (if you like raw fish)
Cumulus - ate there for the first time a couple of weeks ago - no booking taken but food was really really good - shared plates and wine not to badly priced - lunch for two was $160 and we ate quite a bit
Guiseppe Arnold and Son (GAS) again no bookings - food good but ambience for a fun informal evening great
Vue De Monde - food fabulous however, I do get a bit fed up with being interupted for every course to be told what we are about to eat and drink
Ezards - Can't fault the food or service - they do one of the best martinis you will get - you won't be disappointed with either the degustation and carte menus.
Taxi - mix of Japanese and European - great food and views of the city.
Maha - informal food sharing - you won't be disappointed.
Press Club - I think a little overated but of course it is now a 'Celebrity restaurant"
Grossi Florentine (sp?) Upstairs not really impressed - I think trading on an old name

I could go on but I won't
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:46 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Panama Dining Rooms, Smith Street.. Its not got much of a street frontage but great food and view of the city and a great atmosphere. Typical of Melbourne you have to be in the know.. to know its there...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:07 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, some great ideas there and one or two I had on my list already so it's good to see I'm on the right track.

Gill
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Number 8 is one of my favourites. Rockpool is good, will agree with above though it is a blokes sort of place, and we often use it for work guests.

Also like Groucho's on southbank

Pete
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:54 am
Just Joined

TrollToy is an unknown quantity at this point

Flower Drum in China Town in the heart of the city is reputedly amongst the best Chinese restaurants in the world. Service is second to none, but fundamentally Melbourne is a great place for restaurants. This means it is difficult to go wrong. Take a taxi to Lygon Street. Its a short ride. Great atmosphere reasonable cost. Lunch or dinner its there are some wonderful places to eat especially in the summer when you can dine El Fresco at the sidewalk tables.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:17 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by TrollToy
Flower Drum in China Town in the heart of the city is reputedly amongst the best Chinese restaurants in the world. Service is second to none, but fundamentally Melbourne is a great place for restaurants. This means it is difficult to go wrong. Take a taxi to Lygon Street. Its a short ride. Great atmosphere reasonable cost. Lunch or dinner its there are some wonderful places to eat especially in the summer when you can dine El Fresco at the sidewalk tables.
We love Lygon Street and often dine there. The evening we're planning is something to rival an evening at Claridges in London so we felt Lygon Street wasn't quite right for the occasion.

Thanks for the tip re Flower Drum
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Coda is relatively new and it's brilliant. We happened to stumble upon it on it's second night of opening and it had a really good vibe (as well as good food and very good wine selection from their sommelier).

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/c...ant-review.htm

p.s. i've just seen your claridges thing and this is nothing like claridges so may not suitable for this occasion. :-)
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:36 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Been to the Rockpool a few times and rate it highly. Great steak
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:58 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

In the CBD it would be Movida and Scusami for me. Outside the CBD I would highly recommend The Point on Albert Park lake, and Circa at The Prince in St Kilda.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about Coda - terrific restaurant

I know not CBD but if after claridges type experience then try Jacque Raymond in Prahran - only other 3 hat in Melbourne. Not cheap but neither is claridges!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I love food inspired by the French. (I'm a bit over Asian and pasta). Lygon is great for family outings and for visitors. So I love the very, infact, ordinary French cafe food, if then not cheap, that France Soir (Toorak Road) plates up. I'm a steak and pomme frites man followed by a Creme Brulee or tart. One of the best wine lists in Melbourne too. I like the fact there is not quite enough space in there - and the way you can have a bit of a yarn with other diners and the staff.

Can anyone recommend any restaurants that are very intimate.

I remember eating in a restarurant in Luxembourg set up in a house in the city battlements. Not much space but nice atmosphere.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:35 am
Just Joined

itsallcool is an unknown quantity at this point

hows the Stoke House?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itsallcool
hows the Stoke House?

Upstairs restaurant is good but I think lacks a bit of ambience - views are stunning but can be difficult getting a seat next to the window
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:16 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hebe
Upstairs restaurant is good but I think lacks a bit of ambience - views are stunning but can be difficult getting a seat next to the window
Spot on, and they also don't take bookings for parties of less than 6.