Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne's The Age discusses Tesco(UK) vs Coles (Aus)

Melbourne's The Age discusses Tesco(UK) vs Coles (Aus)

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne's The Age discusses Tesco(UK) vs Coles (Aus)

i) They're taking an interest out of Australia.
ii) They're commentating essentially on the superior results of British supermakets (yes really)

On a customer survey, of Brit supermarkets vs Coles/Woolworths duopoly:

iii) Price is a big big factor - Australian supermarkets lose handdown - other factors are more level:
iv) Fresh is considered better in the UK - however it's pointed out this is a perception due to packaged foods (which I agree on)
v) Even service is considered (a bit) better, Australian friendliness clearly not making up for the variety of product lines in the UK

vi) Bit of balance : A brit journo criticises the ruthless of Brit chains and the demise of local shops

cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:18 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne's The Age discusses Tesco(UK) vs Coles (Aus)

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
i) They're taking an interest out of Australia.
ii) They're commentating essentially on the superior results of British supermakets (yes really)

On a customer survey, of Brit supermarkets vs Coles/Woolworths duopoly:

iii) Price is a big big factor - Australian supermarkets lose handdown - other factors are more level:
iv) Fresh is considered better in the UK - however it's pointed out this is a perception due to packaged foods (which I agree on)
v) Even service is considered (a bit) better, Australian friendliness clearly not making up for the variety of product lines in the UK

vi) Bit of balance : A brit journo criticises the ruthless of Brit chains and the demise of local shops

cheers

I quite like Safeway's over here but there again I like food and cook from scratch. The cheese section is good and the only thing I can't find is really good meat...Serrano Ham, Pruscuttio etc.

I think those reliant on the Tesco's finest glammed up TV dinners are in for a shock over here though....there aren't aisles of that type of stuff.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:24 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I like food and cook from scratch.
Well done! I'm impressed. Cooking from scratch is the absolute best for your wallet/purse, taste buds and health (once you have a few decent recipes sorted).
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

I prefer to cook from scratch too.

I don't find Tescos to be all that great - their fresh stuff doesn't last long, their shelf stackers are always in the way (nearly got hit by the big plastic trays that they slid across the floor in front of me today with no warning) and they move things around the store so often I can't find what I'm looking for sometimes.

When I last in Aus I used Coles, which is bit like Netto really, rather than like Tescos. Woolies was much better and in my opinion more comparable to Tescos. I like the markets and the bakeries, butchers etc available in Aus.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I used to shop in Waitrose ... only downside to the sensational food was having to remortgage before every Friday big shop.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I used to shop in Waitrose ... only downside to the sensational food was having to remortgage before every Friday big shop.

When we lived in Lincoln, the local supermarket was still a Safeway's. When it became a Waitrose, the 4x4s, Mercedes etc became too many to count and for the first time in my life I went shopping with 'the list'.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
A mate of mine used to go in 10mins before closing time and snatch up all the markdowns - very successful he was, too.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:05 am
A rather curious boy

A mate of mine used to go in 10mins before closing time and snatch up all the markdowns - very successful he was, too.

What a trog!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:14 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yep, markdowns are definitely the way to go! Especially if you're on a fixed income or have a tribe to feed

I find woolies/safeway tends to have more of them than coles overall.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Sometimes there are reductions on sundays!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:18 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like Safeway's over here but there again I like food and cook from scratch. The cheese section is good and the only thing I can't find is really good meat...Serrano Ham, Pruscuttio etc.

I think those reliant on the Tesco's finest glammed up TV dinners are in for a shock over here though....there aren't aisles of that type of stuff.
You need to find yourself a local butcher or deli.

The thing I love about our locals is that we run into each other outside of the shop and still chat - its like having the advantages of a small town (everyone being friendly and taking time for conversation) but not the disadvantages of everyone knowing your business (and telling you how to run yours).
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraC
Sometimes there are reductions on sundays!
Sunday shopping. That would be a novel idea in Northern Qld
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by framac
Sunday shopping. That would be a novel idea in Northern Qld
Oh yeah! I forgot they don't do sunday shopping there do they?

Anyway, the Tesco here does reductions on Sunday.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

i always thought you could get thing like proscuito from victoria market, i remember when i went last year the market food area had some really cool shops with cheeses and meats. Got the impression that with the migrant communities from the med then italian and greek foods were common.

I was only on holiday though
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:40 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Sugo
i always thought you could get thing like proscuito from victoria market, i remember when i went last year the market food area had some really cool shops with cheeses and meats. Got the impression that with the migrant communities from the med then italian and greek foods were common.

I was only on holiday though

Unfortunately, I live some way away but it is a good tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.