Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Women's Drinking Club?

Melbourne Women's Drinking Club?

Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:15 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne Women's Drinking Club?

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yes, me too! 1800 is perfect.

Now can anyone suggest a good place to meet up? Should we meet up somewhere non-bar-ish (eg under the Flinders St Station Clocks on the corner of Flinders St/Swanston St - or anywhere else you like better) then we can go attack the boozy fleshpots of Melb en masse

We'll have to agree how we'll recognise each other (unelss of course you are coming to the meet on 4 Sep!)

Anya.

Im not at the meet due to other plans. Will it be busy under the flinders street clock at that time? But I am not the best person to suggest somewhere else either as I hardly know the city.

Now you have me thinking what can we wear so we recognise each other?

I'll think it over and get back to you

Jo
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, me too! 1800 is perfect.

Now can anyone suggest a good place to meet up? Should we meet up somewhere non-bar-ish (eg under the Flinders St Station Clocks on the corner of Flinders St/Swanston St - or anywhere else you like better) then we can go attack the boozy fleshpots of Melb en masse

We'll have to agree how we'll recognise each other (unelss of course you are coming to the meet on 4 Sep!)

Anya.
I can't make it sorry but I do have a top tip for bar hopping (if you don't know ths already). Buy a pack of bar cards from any bookshop/newsagent. They are 10 bucks. They enable you to find all the cool bars and pubs all over the city - and believe me some of them are really difficult to find. A couple of my favourites are Cookie which is a Beligan beer pub, the Champagne Lounge, and the Supper club (for late late night drinks....) Cookie is on Swanston Street and I can't remember where the Supperclub is (it was a long late night!). Can also highly recommend 'Bond' for dancing to 80's cheesy hits (if this is your thing)

Have fun
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:21 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helenmaine
I can't make it sorry but I do have a top tip for bar hopping (if you don't know ths already). Buy a pack of bar cards from any bookshop/newsagent. They are 10 bucks. They enable you to find all the cool bars and pubs all over the city - and believe me some of them are really difficult to find. A couple of my favourites are Cookie which is a Beligan beer pub, the Champagne Lounge, and the Supper club (for late late night drinks....) Cookie is on Swanston Street and I can't remember where the Supperclub is (it was a long late night!). Can also highly recommend 'Bond' for dancing to 80's cheesy hits (if this is your thing)

Have fun
We don't need to buy the cards as Linda has a pack of them. But thanks for the tip. We used them the last time we were out in the city. May get myself a pack for future reference though!!! We ended up in a really strange bar that looked like a chemistry lab down some alleyway nr chinatown the last time we were out in Melbourne with these cards

Jo
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:12 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking forward to this now.

I didn't know about the cards, but it sounds like a great idea, get to check out some new places.

If under the Flinders Street station clocks is too busy, which is a good chance at that time of night, how about crossing the road to Fed Square, and standing under the big i on the tourist info building. It was there last time I looked, but you can easily miss it if you are just strolling past.

Now to ponder how to recognise each other

Cheers
Jo
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:54 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by percyp
I'm looking forward to this now.

I didn't know about the cards, but it sounds like a great idea, get to check out some new places.

If under the Flinders Street station clocks is too busy, which is a good chance at that time of night, how about crossing the road to Fed Square, and standing under the big i on the tourist info building. It was there last time I looked, but you can easily miss it if you are just strolling past.

Now to ponder how to recognise each other

Cheers
Jo
That sounds like a better idea than my original suggestion. I'll go look for it next week when I'm in the city & make sure I know where it is.

As for recognising each other, what we really need is a big green & purple banner (like the ones the Suffragettes used to march behind) with our coat of arms for 'Melbourne Women's Drinking Club' on it Or those lovely sashes that the Pankhursts etc used to wear....

Or alternatively, how about if I try & get there first & hold up a bit of card/paper with 'MWDC' on it??

Anya.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:06 am
Pass The Post

That sounds like a better idea than my original suggestion. I'll go look for it next week when I'm in the city & make sure I know where it is.

As for recognising each other, what we really need is a big green & purple banner (like the ones the Suffragettes used to march behind) with our coat of arms for 'Melbourne Women's Drinking Club' on it Or those lovely sashes that the Pankhursts etc used to wear....

Or alternatively, how about if I try & get there first & hold up a bit of card/paper with 'MWDC' on it??

Anya.

He he!! There can't be that many women standing under the i at the tourist info. I know where that is by the way. And you will hear a northerner with a scots having in depth conversations about do you think they are meeting us???

Roll on the 1st oct. Not wishing the month away or anything.

Jo me and Linda are out tomorrow night for drinks if you fancy joining us. I posted last weekend but only anya replied saying she couldn't make it.

Jo
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you gals meet up at the Age Good Food Guide Restaurant of the Year and get your partners to pay?

http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=30350583

OzTennis
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a good plan, but whose gonna carry me home

I can spot a pom a mile off, so no need for gay banners Anya

Poll simpering girly, still LOL at that one
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Poll simpering girly, still LOL at that one
So is The Bloke, Hevs!!! I don't think in my wildest dreams I could be sompering and cutesy! Jaykay was a little closer to the mark
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:05 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Bumping this one back up to the top, as there's a lot of women in Melbourne and by FRIDAY 1 OCT, I bet a lot of them will be desperate for a night out & few bevvies.

Friday 1 Oct, meet at 1800, under the the big 'i' on the tourist info building on Fed Square.

See ya there!

Anya.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

My missus would absolutely love to be a part of this but we wont be there by then. I have to say though you girls are not the best timekeepers in the world so surely it would be better to meet inside somewhere (a hotel bar or something) so you are not stood around for ages waiting on others who have taken too long to put on their slap or forgot their lippy !!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:02 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by eintracht
My missus would absolutely love to be a part of this but we wont be there by then. I have to say though you girls are not the best timekeepers in the world so surely it would be better to meet inside somewhere (a hotel bar or something) so you are not stood around for ages waiting on others who have taken too long to put on their slap or forgot their lippy !!!!!
Actually I plan to get there good & early & hang around in my fishnets & stilletoes, in order to make some cash to go drinking with.

IME it is *men* who take far longer to get ready for going out.... All that fiddling about with cufflinks, hair gel & underpants that they have to do seems to take them forever...

Anya.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

have to say though you girls are not the best timekeepers in the world so surely it would be better to meet inside somewhere (a hotel bar or something) so you are not stood around for ages waiting on others who have taken too long to put on their slap or forgot their lippy !!!!!
Cutesy simpering Polly here( :scared: ) just butting in from the more experienced Brisbane end of the Drinking Organisation! I would actually agree with this - every meet we have had, people have turned up at various times, and some of us have had 3 or 4 drinks before the last people drift in. i really don't want to take over organisingfor you, Anya, but its a good point
Inless you plan on standing at the tourist info with stubbies in your hands.... !!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Wonder if I'd get away with it if I came in my Kilt. :scared:
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:39 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by Bordy
Wonder if I'd get away with it if I came in my Kilt. :scared:
Did you *really* write that, Bordy....?

Mind boggles...

Anya (bringing the smutty element of the forum to a thread near you!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.