Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Just be warned that there is very little double glazing here and no central heating (ducted cools very quickly). For those reasons, it can seem much colder of a morning......
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:57 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

We're bringing our own combi boiler & possibly double glazing too in the container....can't be too careful with that Melbourne weather
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by itigo
Just be warned that there is very little double glazing here and no central heating (ducted cools very quickly). For those reasons, it can seem much colder of a morning......
There are plenty of companies here that sell double glazing so you could replace windows in the older homes. Also the reason ducted heating cools very quickly is the lack of insulation, another item that can be remedied. Ducted heating does heat up very quickly though, the house is warm in 5 mins from the boiler firing up which you wouldn't get with radiators.

I prefer ducted heating as I used to get annoyed at how much space the radiators took up on the walls.

BB
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer ducted heating as I used to get annoyed at how much space the radiators took up on the walls.

The ducted heating in our new house is better than our last one.

A couple of reasons for that, the house is brand new and has better insulation. But the main reason I reckon is that the ducts in this house are in the floor as opposed to the ceiling on our old house and the heat rises, making it warmer quicker. We have to turn it off after 10 minutes as it gets far too hot for us.

Just to compare Melbourne to the UK weather, I wouldn't be sitting at my desk with just a sweatshirt and a pair of shorts on in the middle of Winter in London
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by louise123
I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait ). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?
When I had my first winter in Sydney, I was standing at the train station in a T Shirt, while all the locals wore jumpers and jackets, and were looking at me in a funny way, probably thinking... another newly arrived Pom thinking its warm !

But now, not sure I could handle those southern winters

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mate, we arrived in July, and we loved the weather! Mainly I suppose because it was so sunny, unlike UK winters which can be a bit grey and are always dark!
Just because a place is sunnier than the the UK, doesn't make it 'sunny' - it's still the most overcast city in Australia
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise123
I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait ). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?
http://www.thevine.com.au/fashion/ne...emosswarmyouup

A more energy efficient eco friendly way
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Well it got to 18 degrees today
If you want to compare Melbourne winters to Uk Weather
The average so far (Melbourne) for June Max Daytime Temp: 15.0, Average Min Temp: 7.6

To Compare to London 15 degrees through the day is the average between April and May in London. 7.6 as a minimum is the average of London in May, baring in mind June is the equivilent to December where the ave in London would be 8.8 deg through the day and 3.3 as a minimum.

But as others have said Houses in Oz are built for heat and it feels bloody cold because houses are not designed for the colder months.

So if you are looking for a global comparisin then Melbourne winters are actually warmer than anywhere in europe and the nearest winter comparsison would be San Francisco in California

But by australain standards and comparison its classed as cold in Winter! Make Sense
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite warmer than everywhere in Europe. Much of Melbourne in winter is comparable to cities in southern Europe like Nice, Athens and Rome, maybe a little bit warmer on average but not much. Melbourne is at the same latitude in the southern hemisphere as Athens is in the northern hemisphere. According to the Koppen climate classification, Melbourne and the southern half of Victoria is in the same category as London,
i.e. (Cfb)- Oceanic climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

It is a lot warmer than Northern and central Europe in winter though, that is certainly a fact.

Melbourne metro is actually quite a warm part of the state in winter, most places in the north of the state tend to be a little colder and much colder at night. Place on the ranges and mountain areas are much colder. At 500m above sea level average winter temperatures are up to 5C colder than Melbourne in winter and approaching average winter temps in the mildest parts of the UK.

If you were moving to Melbourne from England and decided that the Dandenong Ranges (around 45km east of the city centre) looked like a very nice area you would find that the climate statistics are very similar to Cornwall, for temperature and rainfall.

Melbourne and Victoria are very diverse places climate wise.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Jun 24th 2010 at 10:06 am.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Just because a place is sunnier than the the UK, doesn't make it 'sunny' - it's still the most overcast city in Australia
True. Sydney is far, far sunnier. No comparison.

Originally Posted by 29palms
Well it got to 18 degrees today
If you want to compare Melbourne winters to Uk Weather
The average so far (Melbourne) for June Max Daytime Temp: 15.0, Average Min Temp: 7.6

To Compare to London 15 degrees through the day is the average between April and May in London. 7.6 as a minimum is the average of London in May, baring in mind June is the equivilent to December where the ave in London would be 8.8 deg through the day and 3.3 as a minimum.

So if you are looking for a global comparisin then Melbourne winters are actually warmer than anywhere in europe and the nearest winter comparsison would be San Francisco in California

But by australain standards and comparison its classed as cold in Winter! Make Sense
Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Not quite warmer than everywhere in Europe. Much of Melbourne in winter is comparable to cities in southern Europe like Nice, Athens and Rome, maybe a little bit warmer on average but not much. Melbourne is at the same latitude in the southern hemisphere as Athens is in the northern hemisphere. According to the Koppen climate classification, Melbourne and the southern half of Victoria is in the same category as London,
i.e. (Cfb)- Oceanic climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

It is a lot warmer than Northern and central Europe in winter though, that is certainly a fact.
Seconded to all that....Melbourne feel cold - yes. It's winter. Cold as the UK - no way. It's not the Gold Coast. It's not the Tropics. It's not Sydney sun. Mornings can be very cold. Days warm up relatively fast. In the morning, you will need to put on a jacket, or a jumper.... or you can not bother and put up with it for a few mins before getting in the car or on the train.

We've had the coldest and wettest winter in about 5 years I reckon with 2 or 3 of the coldest mornings I've experienced in that timeframe. A bit more like it used to be (apparently). We're over the hump of the shortest day.

Then you get mild days and winter sunshine, and bright days too.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just over 1 yr into relocating to Melbourne, and I still can't wear my uk coats...they're simply too thick & hot to be comfortable in. Today was clear blue sky and sunshine & I couldn't bare wearing my Aussie coat after half an hour of being out & about during my lunch break. I've found the winter here to be like early spring time in London. I live in central Melbourne, but my parents however live outside of Ballarat - and it's cold out that way!
A thicker jacket & layers would work well - considering how changable Melbourne's weather is.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiseM
Just over 1 yr into relocating to Melbourne, and I still can't wear my uk coats...they're simply too thick & hot to be comfortable in. Today was clear blue sky and sunshine & I couldn't bare wearing my Aussie coat after half an hour of being out & about during my lunch break. I've found the winter here to be like early spring time in London. I live in central Melbourne, but my parents however live outside of Ballarat - and it's cold out that way!
A thicker jacket & layers would work well - considering how changable Melbourne's weather is.
I don't think Melbourne's weather is that changeable. It's just weather. Just the way it's supposed to work. Other places obviously stay the same for months! I remember gettting wet in London on my way out and about. I never get wet here, never get caught out.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough. Not having a car myself, I've found outside of summer, the weather can be all over the place on certain days - which Melbourne is renowned for. I've headed out in sunshine & barely any clouds some days, only hours later to be trudging around with my shopping in a downpour.
I've also felt too hot some mornings & headed off in just a tshirt - only to be cold later in the day & cursing my foolishness!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:42 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Oh how I miss the extra 20 mins to release the ice to simply get into my car

I really don't find Melbourne weather a problem I want it to be colder so more snow falls and if it doesnt I just fly too Queenstown. See life is simple
And if you really need warmth there is noosa
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:40 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, with the weather we have had in the last week, I will definately say it is some of the coldest/wettest start of Winter weather we have seen in our 8 years here.

The papers agree !
Wettest Melbourne June in 9 years
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/go...0630-zmdh.html
Coldest Sydney morning for more than 60 years
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sy...0630-zk4a.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.