Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a row

Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a row

Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, think that was last year's.
Well that must be last years link then with this years date
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree we need to look at the people subjugated and deprived, but I'm willing to listen to any original viewpoint - especially on BE! I happen to agree, or see where Zulu is coming, (or infer) that perhaps History is written not only by the winners, but also against the backdrop of what ever is intellectually in vogue - the current crop of revisionists make interesting reading.

I also think in the West we have become so politically and educationally centrist or Left that conversative forces tend to be deemed to be 'extreme right-wing' when they are just that, conservative, and in some circles, anything 'left' is automatically considered to be superior intellectually to 'right'. But the debate is partly philisophical of course.
A 'shit happens, means justifies the ends' attitude is not just conservative and conservative or Conservative can mean many different things anyway. Dave is left wing Conservative (but right of centre) for example; Enoch Powell was far right wing Conservative; diametrically opposed views on many issues, same party, same label.

A 'shit happens, means justifies the ends' attitude has been behind a lot of what has gone wrong and will go wrong in the world; as well as what has gone right in some instances I do admit.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Well that must be last years link then with this years date
I'm lost; I just searched the EIU and came up with that top 10, I didn't see the date. Whatever, Aussie and Canadian cities predominate! I must say having been to Vienna a few times that it takes the biscuit for a place to visit out of the top liveable cities.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lost; I just searched the EIU and came up with that top 10, I didn't see the date. Whatever, Aussie and Canadian cities predominate! I must say having been to Vienna a few times that it takes the biscuit for a place to visit out of the top liveable cities.
There was a link to a newspaper story in the first post - has top and bottom 10 listed
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:38 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Vienna is on my to-do list, along with Berlin, Prague and Copenhagen. Sadly, these are not places the average Aussie can just nip over to...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Vienna is on my to-do list, along with Berlin, Prague and Copenhagen. Sadly, these are not places the average Aussie can just nip over to...
Unless they are on tour with their choir/orchestra in which case its all part of the itinerary.....:_)
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Had to laugh at the CourierMail - brisbane's main newsrag

Recently declared Queensland Great and renowned Brisbane identity Stefan Ackerie, labelled those responsible for the survey "uneducated", saying their priorities were wrong.

"I think when God made the world, he made Australia last, he made Queensland very last and he made Brisbane for himself," he said. " Brisbane has everything. It has weather, beautiful people, facilities like no other city in Australia so it (the survey) is just uneducated.

I thought this guy must be someone really influential, but when I put his name into Google it seems he is a local hairdresser No offence to hairdressers amongst us, but was he really the best identity they could find to defend Brisbane? Did the others all agree with the survey?!!!
It's this rag that just about typifies Brisbane thinking i.e. small-minded and insular.

Hence why this particular study has re-ignited my interest in seeking a relocation to somewhere with a more balanced perspective of life
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There was a link to a newspaper story in the first post - has top and bottom 10 listed
Yep, I must have got last year's rankings.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:14 pm

Yep, I must have got last year's rankings.
I wouldn't have realised at all if it wasn't for the radio
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True, I still think the budget thousands blow on going to Bali, Thailand etc would stretch to a European jaunt though. Whether new world colonists are truly interested in olde world charms is another matter. (that's tongue in cheek btw)

Andre Rieu of course, in a mountain to Mohammed act, brought the Schonbrunn Palace, Viennese waltzers, choir etc to Australia and had his most successful tour ever so there must be a demand for the old worlde charms!

Here's the real Schonbrunn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEEj75qvoY

And the Melbourne concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzOROxPugp8

(my nephew is in the pipe band at the end)

The Austrian Habsburgs left a lasting legacy throughout Europe in a similar vein to way the Brits did in the new world. (Vienna, Salzburg, Prague, Budapest etc).

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 29th 2013 at 12:38 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:03 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

The differences between the top 10 cities are practically insignificant.

MEL is a bit gloomy for me. I can't leave sunny SYD - love it here!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:02 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

This is my concern with Adelaide. We lived in London for many years so after that it's a case of eaten the pie and got the t-shirt as far as big cities are concerned, so Adelaide is a good compromise between the big smoke and a small town. My concern is that one day it's going to be as big as Melbourne, then as big as Sydney, and so on. That's when I'll move to Hobart!
Zen, I don't think you need to worry!

Population growth 2001 - 2011

Hobart - 9.1%
Adelaide - 9.4%
Sydney - 11.6%
Canberra - 16.9%
Melbourne - 18.4%
Darwin - 20.8%
Brisbane - 25.2%
Perth - 26.2%

By the time you feel the need to move to Hobart it will be growing faster than Adelaide anyway!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
It's this rag that just about typifies Brisbane thinking i.e. small-minded and insular.

Hence why this particular study has re-ignited my interest in seeking a relocation to somewhere with a more balanced perspective of life
People take potshots at all proud Australian cities and commentators, but I suppose if you lived in QLD you'd get peeved from time to time.

There is criticism occasionally levelled at Melbourne - it seems though that it tends to be people from outside the city - and to be brutally honest, I think bits of Melbourne deserve a sort of pat on the back.

I was looking at the map the other day and observed my haunts of the CBD, inner E and SE, and I realied I knew little about the N - Ozzie's N - then there are huge areas to the NE, twice the size of the CBD bordered by Carlton, Carlton N, Fitzroy, Fitsroy N and on to Thornbury etc.

You could spend years getting to know these places!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
People take potshots at all proud Australian cities and commentators, but I suppose if you lived in QLD you'd get peeved from time to time.

There is criticism occasionally levelled at Melbourne - it seems though that it tends to be people from outside the city - and to be brutally honest, I think bits of Melbourne deserve a sort of pat on the back.

I was looking at the map the other day and observed my haunts of the CBD, inner E and SE, and I realied I knew little about the N - Ozzie's N - then there are huge areas to the NE, twice the size of the CBD bordered by Carlton, Carlton N, Fitzroy, Fitsroy N and on to Thornbury etc.

You could spend years getting to know these places!

Even Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds are worth a look, and then you move on West to places like Flemington, Kensington, Yarraville, etc etc... I've not been to some of those inner western places in years... save for Footscray.

They are bound to have changed for the better.

Oz Tennis will love this one....Fawkner is getting trendy type Cafes now

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 30th 2013 at 8:15 am.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Even Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds are worth a look, and then you move on West to places like Flemington, Kensington, Yarraville, etc etc... I've not been to some of those inner western places in years... save for Footscray.

They are bound to have changed for the better.

Oz Tennis will love this one....Fawkner is getting trendy type Cafes now
Ears burning!

I've seen a lot happen to Melbourne in my lifetime OE! Such as:

The population more than doubling from 2 million.

Friends of my parents wanting a 'tree change' and moving out into the bush and building at - Heathmont! Melbourne now goes out much further than there.

Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, North Melbourne, West Melbourne, Footscray, Yarraville etc, etc, nobody wanted to live there, property was cheap, head for the hills was the dream. In time the predominantly working classes have been forced out (my offers from yuppies too good to refuse) or passed away and their properties bought up and done up or knocked down and new properties built.

I can remember when there were warehouses along the Yarra and docks (at Victoria Docks), now Southbank, Southgate, Docklands, Etihad, Bourke St extensions, thousands of flats.

Essendon, Ascot Vale and so on have changed out of all recognition since I was courting a Strathmore girl. It comes as no surprise to hear about Fawkner then.

That's the ever continuing, changing dynamic of the metropolis. Tree change, sea change, inner city living ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.