Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne and whitsundays

melbourne and whitsundays

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:56 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough
Default melbourne and whitsundays

I am planning a trip back to auz soon (undecided as to when yet!) and this time going to add in melbourne and the whitsundays as well as sydney. Just wanting some tips on where to go and what to do in melbourne and the whitsundays. Also we r flying from sydney to brisbane and unsure whether to spend a day or two there? any advice?

We are planning 1 week melbourne 2 weeks sydney and 1 week whitsundays
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:02 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: melbourne and whitsundays

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
I am planning a trip back to auz soon (undecided as to when yet!) and this time going to add in melbourne and the whitsundays as well as sydney. Just wanting some tips on where to go and what to do in melbourne and the whitsundays. Also we r flying from sydney to brisbane and unsure whether to spend a day or two there? any advice?

We stayed near Airlie beach for a few days then got the boat out to Hamilton Island where we stayed for a week at the Beach Club.

Thoroughly recommend a seaplane ride over the island if you like that type of thing!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:03 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

sounds good to me!! Thanks for the help, i'll send u some karma
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Hayley, if you go to photopost I have stacks of pics of us lot enjoying the whitsundays. Just click on my name on the left hand side. We stayed at Adventure Whitsundays Big 4 caravan and camp site. They have villas for hire and it was great. Really good facilities, huge pool/spa area and nicely laid out kiddies play centre. Took a cruise island hopping (only 20 of us on a 90 person boat) and also stayed 3 days in the Palm Bungalows on hamilton island. Completely worth it!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hayley, if you go to photopost I have stacks of pics of us lot enjoying the whitsundays. Just click on my name on the left hand side. We stayed at Adventure Whitsundays Big 4 caravan and camp site. They have villas for hire and it was great. Really good facilities, huge pool/spa area and nicely laid out kiddies play centre. Took a cruise island hopping (only 20 of us on a 90 person boat) and also stayed 3 days in the Palm Bungalows on hamilton island. Completely worth it!
Sorry just noticed your going to Sydney too. Can recommend dinner at the Wharf Restaurant in the evening. You get to dine whilst looking out over the Harbour Bridge (actually just sitting underneath all its glory, its fantastic). Take in sunset over the city in the revolving tower thingy! Got some fab shots of the city (someone will know the name). Pick up some pressies for friends back home at the Haymarket, definately take in a harbour cruise and, if you can tolerate it, the bridge climb. Kangeroo Valley, Leura, Katoomba, the Blue Mountains and the Megalong Valley are also worth a visit!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 10:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Whitsundays are beautiful however I cannot recommend Hamilton Island as I found the place very expensive and the service was lacking. The best part of the visit was sailing around on an old square rigger, diving at Bait Reef and seeing a pair of humpbacks swim under and around the boat for 30 mins. Hamilton island seemed plain boring after that.

http://www.barefootcruises.com.au/ did the cruises.
http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/def...ticle&ID=15612 for Hamilton Island.

You can fly into Hamilton Island airport or Proserpine airport for the Whitsundays. Proserpine is nearby Airlie Beach. Airlie is cheaper and has a backpacker party reputation however if you stay in one of the resorts you will be a long distance from the noise.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:05 pm

thanks everyone