Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Originally Posted by SamSi
Or, you can also find 3 bed houses in likes of Port Melbourne, South Melbourne - even better location-wise
And expect to be paying upwards of $700/week.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
and it is not the case that you are guaranteed to see a member of the mafia every time you go to lunch.
Unless you head down to Lygon street.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Agn4y7rv8g

2008 was a bad fly year ! Not been too bad since.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Frankston, Glen Waverley and Oakleigh all do have hight streets but they're not places you want to go to spend an afternoon out. Shops at Glen Waverley are rubbish and Frankston is a shithole with Oakleigh being not much better. Not even comparable to places such as Toorak, St. Kilda, Sth Yarra, Elwood, Hampton etc.
It just depends what people like. And not many people can afford to buy in Sth Yarra!
Clayton's also a shithole. Can't speak for Berwick, haven't been down that way for years but Narre Warren is a shithole.
Narre and Claytons are not shit holes! They are older and not nearly as posh as the ones you mention before, however they have some character and most people can afford to shop there...

And Berwick is certainly NOT a shit hole...

So? Unless you live in the city or on the beach, there are no high streets and everywheres a shit hole? OOookkaayyyy
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hevs
It just depends what people like. And not many people can afford to buy in Sth Yarra!

Narre and Claytons are not shit holes! They are older and not nearly as posh as the ones you mention before, however they have some character and most people can afford to shop there...

So? Unless you live in the city or on the beach, there are no high streets and everywheres a shit hole? OOookkaayyyy
I think most Aussies would disagree with you. Actually, Narre Warren and Clayton are younger suburbs than most of the ones I mentioned before. I remember when Narre Warren and Berwick was all paddocks.

There is no need to buy/live in Sth Yarra to go to the shops.

Berwick has always been considered a posh outer eastern suburb.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

You're probably right - Narre's a dump. I worked there for a year, never again.

Its not a dump by UK standards mind, its cleanish, reasonably low crime, presentable houses, etc, but by Melbourne standards its a characterless shithole dominated by a faceless, sprawling shopping centre, no high street, no heart and no reason to be in the place other than to shop. Full of chavs to boot.

Berwick used to be quite genteel by all accounts, but these days its an adjunct of Narre. The centre's quite decent, but overall its just part of the Casey sprawl. Posh no more.

Its interesting though - we probably tend to view these places through UK eyes - at least for the first couple of years. Someone drove me through Dandenong when I first came out - just to show me how 'awful' it was. I'd just come from a community development job in Glasgow - it was all I could do not to laugh in their face.

Shitholes? Maybe - maybe not - all in the eye of the beholder I suppose and depends on what you were used to before you came out.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Phlanger

Its not a dump by UK standards mind, its cleanish, reasonably low crime, presentable houses, etc, but by Melbourne standards its a characterless shithole dominated by a faceless, sprawling shopping centre, no high street, no heart and no reason to be in the place other than to shop. Full of chavs to boot.

Berwick used to be quite genteel by all accounts, but these days its an adjunct of Narre. The centre's quite decent, but overall its just part of the Casey sprawl. Posh no more.

Its interesting though - we probably tend to view these places through UK eyes - at least for the first couple of years. Someone drove me through Dandenong when I first came out - just to show me how 'awful' it was. I'd just come from a community development job in Glasgow - it was all I could do not to laugh in their face.

Shitholes? Maybe - maybe not - all in the eye of the beholder I suppose and depends on what you were used to before you came out.
I think you're right. Looking through UK or Aussie eyes makes a difference. I've lived in Australia since I was 11 so I view it with Aussie eyes and I agree, Berwick has been tarnished by it's proximity to Narre.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think most Aussies would disagree with you. Actually, Narre Warren and Clayton are younger suburbs than most of the ones I mentioned before. I remember when Narre Warren and Berwick was all paddocks.

Berwick has always been considered a posh outer eastern suburb.

I think you're right. Looking through UK or Aussie eyes makes a difference. I've lived in Australia since I was 11 so I view it with Aussie eyes and I agree, Berwick has been tarnished by it's proximity to Narre.
I agree with parts you all say.

My view is that Berwick is the stand-out suburb in the SE as evidenced by the demographics even on the train. See for yourself! I know people who live in Beaconsfield or edge of Narre but insist on going to Berwick stn. They all cling on to the notion of Berwick.

There are posh pockets of Berwick which will remain so.

The only downside is that Bwick has become part of a larger SE sprawl in Casey and there might be some sort of decline - how you choose to measure this is by the by.

I personally believe that Narre is in decline, or will be in decline and that the fast food and Fountain Gate culture tarnishes it - even though there are pockets that were fine 10 years ago. There are hoons and bogans around there - or FG attracts them from elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that the demographics would indicate that it is probably headed south.

I think that Berwick's reputation is still seen as a nice town by the genteel people of the city! People may not realise it is now part of the SE expansion corridor - which it is becoming part of - make no mistake.

It's all relative. It's nothing other than demographics.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

True Badge. You can measure these things by the numbers by looking at ABS quickstats or SEIFA indices - but the immeasurable things probably matter as much to the housing market.

Berwick's holding its own for now (going to Berwick from Narre used to make me think of going from Milton Keynes to Stony Stratford) - and you're right, for that part of Melbourne it's still seen as the prestige location.

Not that it has much competition....
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

True Badge. You can measure these things by the numbers by looking at ABS quickstats or SEIFA indices - but the immeasurable things probably matter as much to the housing market.
And just the feel of the places....there would be people in Narre feeling like the people in the UK feel who want to move to quieter, more pleasant locations..

Berwick's holding its own for now (going to Berwick from Narre used to make me think of going from Milton Keynes to Stony Stratford) - and you're right, for that part of Melbourne it's still seen as the prestige location.
Yes.

And then there are places which pretend to be Berwick but are not.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

ok...some perspetive. I would choose not to live in Narre...To sprawly for me and I dont like it. However the old part (shops) has a nice community feel and people are friendly, that said I wouldnt want to be down there on a friday night. This doesnt, however IMO make it a shithole. I came form a nice market town in the UK BTW, not a slum

Now...I'm not so subjective about HP, Doveton, Dande....IMO they ARE shitholes

Berwick Its self...OLD Berwick is still doing very nicely, a lot of properties are very expensive and the people who can afford those houses shop in and around Berwick, to me it shows in the town, definately!

The sprawl, like Badge says, that is called Berwick as far as the eye can see is doing Berwick no favours, it taking away the charecter that defined it. Thats why my house is on the market NOT because its a shit hole...I just want somewhere with more character
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

I think most Aussies would disagree with you. .
I've been here 7 years mate, do you seriously think I dont know any Aussies? Some of them actually live quite near to these shit holes! Gasp..... Guess what, not a commadore in sight
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok...some perspetive. I would choose not to live in Narre...To sprawly for me and I dont like it. However the old part (shops) has a nice community feel and people are friendly, that said I wouldnt want to be down there on a friday night. This doesnt, however IMO make it a shithole. I came form a nice market town in the UK BTW, not a slum

Berwick Its self...OLD Berwick is still doing very nicely, a lot of properties are very expensive and the people who can afford those houses shop in and around Berwick, to me it shows in the town, definately!

The sprawl, like Badge says, that is called Berwick as far as the eye can see is doing Berwick no favours, it taking away the charecter that defined it. Thats why my house is on the market NOT because its a shit hole...I just want somewhere with more character
Agree.

I would hesitate to recommend Berwick to people from out of town because they have a tendency to migrate to the cheaper places, or getting the value, and not seek out the places with character. Of course this may not bother them but it might eventually. I know of one family, who 5 years on, are starting to realise this.

We're staying put because although we are part of the SE we feel divorced from it, sort of out of sight, out of mind(!) But we got lucky with location.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I've been here 7 years mate, do you seriously think I dont know any Aussies? Some of them actually live quite near to these shit holes! Gasp..... Guess what, not a commadore in sight
The ones in the know wouldn't be seen dead there and the ones that are seen wish they can get out (but can't afford to).

Commodore's are so passe. Even the bogans hate them now. The new bogan drives a Beemer or Audi.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Whenever in Narre Warren just think of Kath & Kim...

Agreed!

Housing is bloody expensive everywhere in Melbourne now with the median house price c$630,000.

Ah... You've seen the light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.