Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My 2cents: Footscray is *inner* West. By definition, it has to get better and become a success story. Professionals have been moving in (look at Seddon) this last 10 years and prices are climbing. I know a guy priced out of the inner East and North who bought there 3 years ago. He's happy to live with like-minded indivuiduals and glad to get in early. His mates bought in Seddon in the late 90s.

Give it 10 years.
That's what everyone was saying when I lived in Seddon 20 years ago....I really liked Seddon when I was there , actually

(Eeeek - 20 years ago!!!)
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone have an opinion on Emerald?

The OH has very fond memories of the place but i have never been there and whilst we already live in the country, i'm not sure whether living there would be too far away from anything.

We're not fussed about living near the beach, just a bit rural, but is Emerald too rural??
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:45 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

we looked at emerald but its way to far out unless you plan on Not really living in Melbourne
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My children have travelled on the trains at night and its fine, they reduce the number of carriages for one thing so all the people are together.

There are problems on the transport but considering the number of people who use it in a twenty four hour period there are not that many problems. Obviously its a problem for those people affected but think how many people live in Melbourne three and a half million bound to have some rat bags as well.

Fear makes things worse. Our children have more problems getting into cars with people who have been drinking than travelling on public transport.

As far as suburbs go there are good and bad in every suburb and poorer suburbs probably have more genuine people than the richer suburbs. At least they are not trying to sue their neighbours all the time.

I have not lived in bad neighbourhoods but I have had bad neighbours and they had money , does not make them good neighbours.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
we looked at emerald but its way to far out unless you plan on Not really living in Melbourne
Yup....not particularly commutable to the city - possible by car if you leave early etc etc.

If you work in say Dandy - fine.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yup....not particularly commutable to the city - possible by car if you leave early etc etc.

If you work in say Dandy - fine.

I know someone who travels from Emerald to Leongatha every day for work
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
I know someone who travels from Emerald to Leongatha every day for work

As they say:

'Gee!'

At least that is against the run of traffic and not on the busy M1.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

The OH is looking at working in Mt Waverley, which would be about 55min from Emerald.

We've also been looking at Menzies Creek, Selby, Belgrave and a few more around that area.

We've looked at Dandenong, but will look in that direction no further...

I took a look at Emerald on google maps, and took a walk around. I don't think it's done me any favours.... we're out on a reccie in May, so will be taking a better look at the place.
Apparently they have a great school. although only hearsay...
I have been making a list of your best and worst places to live, making things alot easier for me in the UK to get a better picture of Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs...

Many Thanks Guys.....
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Originally Posted by memewest
The OH is looking at working in Mt Waverley, which would be about 55min from Emerald.

We've also been looking at Menzies Creek, Selby, Belgrave and a few more around that area.

I took a look at Emerald on google maps, and took a walk around. I don't think it's done me any favours.... we're out on a reccie in May, so will be taking a better look at the place.
I have been making a list of your best and worst places to live, making things alot easier for me in the UK to get a better picture of Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs...

Many Thanks Guys.....
Hello meme,

can you to share your good & bad place list? I'm looking at areas around Narre Warren Sth, Hampton Park to be closer to me relative and close friends or maybe Boxhill really close to my sponsor ... my 80+ aunty

Cheers,
sram
Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a booklet with information on where to live in Melbourne. Quite useful - provides an insight into each and every area.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 20th 2009 at 12:45 pm. Reason: Attachment breaches copyright. Publisher has asked for removal.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:57 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Here's a booklet with information on where to live in Melbourne. Quite useful - provides an insight into each and every area.
Agree but people need to be aware most of the price guides now reflect deposits required not full price. Even taking into account the downturn and a 30% shift down.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:18 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by memewest

Many Thanks Guys.....
Emerald is a really nice area ...unsure of the schooling and infastructure there though.I quite like the look of the place myself actually

Lee
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I live 10 mins from Emerald and its a great spot. Its not part or the urban sprawl and would be hard to drive to the city everyday, (but not many people truly work in the CBD) but they have everything up there and yes, the school is good. I have a friend who is a teacher and she rates it highly enough to send her kids there

Mount Waveerly would be doable...but it depends on how long a drive you like to commute
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a look at the guide and find that the prices even though we are on the downward trend are not reflective of what I would call an average house. I think you need to add a hundred thousand on to the prices stated at least.

I know where I live two hundred thousand gets a very ordinary older seventies house which has been rented for years and would not buy a unit.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sram466
Hi,

Interesting thread ... i plan to locate to Hampton Park if my visa application pass thru.

Really Appreciate it if you can advise which place is good for young family with aged parents in Melbourne.

Regards,
sram
I think you would find Boxhill a better location my friend than Hampton or Narre Warren. Your aged parents will find it easier to meet similar people and enjoy activities to widen their social network.

This is based on our own research and feelings of my wifes parents (also from Singapore, who would be horrified if we took them out to Hampton Prk or NWarren)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.