Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Living in the SE I can sort of confirm that Dandenong is the pits.
If you are going to live SE, (E of Warrigal rd) I recommend living N of the Princes Highway.
The SE of Melbourne after Oakleigh is a bit crap. It only improves once you get to Narre Warren and even then problem is a lot of new estates which are crap to be honest.and then Berwick is the jewel in the crown.

I actually recommend due E rather than SE.

Just out of curiosity, what's up with Berwick? family and I will be arriving in Jan
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haktahsin
Just out of curiosity, what's up with Berwick? family and I will be arriving in Jan
Berwick reminds me of South Woodford if that helps?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:54 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing's wrong with Berwick, except for the commute on the Monash Freeway during peak hours....but that's only a hassle if you are commuting to the city. No, Berwick is a beaut, but a bit out in the sticks for some of us.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Berwick reminds me of South Woodford if that helps?
Thanks that does help, having just moved out of Chingford!!!

But moved back to my mums house where I grew up in Tottenham, surely it cant be any worse can it??

Last edited by Haktahsin; Dec 8th 2008 at 11:04 am.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Nothing's wrong with Berwick, except for the commute on the Monash Freeway during peak hours....but that's only a hassle if you are commuting to the city. No, Berwick is a beaut, but a bit out in the sticks for some of us.

Ah, I see, cheers, checking the train times from Berwick to city ranges from 55mins to just over an hour, hope O got hat right, which for me isn't that bad, it used to take me from Chingford to Chancery Lane, about an hour, and it's only 11 miles!!!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

But moved back to my mums house where I grew up in Tottenham, surely it cant be any worse can it??
Theres nothing wrong with Berwick persay...apart from the fact its sprawling massively and its all getting ugly with its crammed in Mc mansions..
But as Badge says, its the Jewel in the crown, nice high street which is very rare in this part of Aus! Good train service and lots to do in and around.

I would avoid Dandenong, Hampton Park, Narre South (at its side where it reaches HP) Noble Park, Doveton.....

Just look for the burn out marks on the roads, unmown lawns and grafitti, litter etc, Its all a bit of a give away...you just get a feel.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Sun yesterday the happiest people live in Eltham, Warrandyte and must admit very nice areas. Too far from the beach for me though.

Beaconsfield is nice if Berwick is too busy. I am just so appalled at how Berwick has been ruined by over development and think that it will have the problems Endeavour Hills faces as children become teens. Miles of houses and nothing to do. Same with Mornington, Mount Martha over developed as well they lose their identity.

I have no problem with a cross section of the community and live in a place where we have all different types of housing and it works and it feels like we belong. Also we were saved from over development when it was seen what had happened at Mornington.

The problem with living in a very new area is that often the schools are spilling over as is the child care and demand for kindergarten. Also if you have to sell you are still competing with the builders and therefore prices are not what people hope for.

If you emigrate and one of you stays home it can be very very lonely in the new suburbs because everyone works paying for the house.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Beaconsfield is nice if Berwick is too busy. I am just so appalled at how Berwick has been ruined by over development and think that it will have the problems Endeavour Hills faces as children become teens. Miles of houses and nothing to do. Same with Mornington, Mount Martha over developed as well they lose their identity.

I agree to a point..however Berwick is split by a freeway and on the northside everything is accesable, either by walking or a very good bus and train service. Theres childcare, sports clubs/ fields etc and the houses are older so more established, less full time working families and so on. However its no utopia and, like anywhere (except where Badge lives) there are problems. Lets face it, wherever there are teens theres problems
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Berwick is quite sterile, heaps of new housing estates. I wouldn't compare to South Woodford, more like Basildon/Laindon.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

So right Hevs teens problems and they keep becoming teens We have problems here in Somerville not with our teens but with people who come over from other suburbs. As there is no police presence we are fair game I guess.

Its true it is a two sided thing in Berwick and the east side is the nicest side with a nice cross section of houses. Narre Warren North is nice around A'Beckett Road.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sr71
I'm not convinced about Footscray, if anything it is worse than when I last went there 8 years ago (just went at the weekend). Much less Vietnamese and Asians there now, it seems to be being taken over by African/Indian immigrants and I would expect the crime rates to go up accordingly. (quite a few Somalians)

Unfortunately I witnessed someone get dragged from their car and get beaten up by 4 men (all ethnics) so am not in a hurry to go back there.
It's unfortunate that this is your experience of Footscray, but I do find that it's on the up. Parts of west footscray are now very nice as of course is seddon. I still wouldn't live in footscray propper and I think it wll remain very multicultural but is definately becoming mre prosperous.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
It's unfortunate that this is your experience of Footscray, but I do find that it's on the up. Parts of west footscray are now very nice as of course is seddon. I still wouldn't live in footscray propper and I think it wll remain very multicultural but is definately becoming mre prosperous.
Well I didn't think so, but must admit that I used to be around Footscray a lot because an ex-girlfriend lived there and can't say that I ever had any problems there. Seddon was already on the up 8 years ago. I certainly didn't notice any gentrification of the main shopping strip.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:15 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torcraw
what suburbs should I absolutely AVOID living in down in Melbourne (i.e. what are the very dodgy ....)?
Malvern - I had a dodgy curry there once.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sr71
Well I didn't think so, but must admit that I used to be around Footscray a lot because an ex-girlfriend lived there and can't say that I ever had any problems there. Seddon was already on the up 8 years ago. I certainly didn't notice any gentrification of the main shopping strip.
No I agree with you on the shopping strip- but quite a few of the residential areas are (slowly) getting better I think.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Avoid living in Notting Hill/Clayton/Mulgrave

You'll die of boredom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.