Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about
Default Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

There are quite a few threads on places to live, but my question is the opposite: what suburbs should I absolutely AVOID living in down in Melbourne (i.e. what are the very dodgy or high-crime areas)?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Originally Posted by torcraw
There are quite a few threads on places to live, but my question is the opposite: what suburbs should I absolutely AVOID living in down in Melbourne (i.e. what are the very dodgy or high-crime areas)?
Altona, Hoppers Corossing, Weribee, Craigieburn, Thomastown, Sunshine, Dandenong, Springvale, Resevoir, Coburg, Oakleigh, Hampton Park, Croydon for starters.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:15 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Altona, Hoppers Corossing, Weribee, Craigieburn, Thomastown, Sunshine, Dandenong, Springvale, Resevoir, Coburg, Oakleigh, Hampton Park, Croydon for starters.
Faulkner
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why Altona is there- the blue rinse brigade attacked you with a handbag perhaps?
Oakleigh is nice, but personally I would avoid Footscray like to plague...too many druggies for my liking.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with Croydon Seems perfectly pleasant to me whenever I've been there.

You could add Noble Park. Close to me, I wouldn't live in Bayswater (but I'm sure there are still nice streets within the suburb - as is the case with many areas).
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

Well having lived in Coburg for 2 years and Altona for the past 6 months I would have to disagree I'm afraid.

Certainly in comparison to England and Ireland, I don't really think any suburb in Melbourne could be considered "high crime".

In the case of Coburg and Altona specifically, the lack of security alarms and triple locked doors on nearly all houses, or indeed the absence of people taking their staffordshire bull terrier (or other scary looking guard dogs) out for walks, may be some indication of how safe these areas are. We've never had a break in, car's never been stolen/ vandalised (street parked in both suburbs), and I'm very comfortable walking home from our nearest train station after dark - things that I couldn't say about many urban parts of England or Ireland.

The only suburb I would say in Melbourne that would be a bit dodgy especially for people with kids is perhaps St. Kilda: a very backpacker orientated suburb (so lots of noise) but sadly there is a very visible substance abuse problem there. (Lots of drug paraphernalia left around the beach and plenty "smack heads" wandering around, in stark contrast to the more family orientated beaches over at Altona.)
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

would have to agree with Pomster on footscray
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Today there is an article about South East Melbourne and crime in the Sun.

I think most suburbs have problems. I personally would not live in the Pines, North Frankston, Dandenong, Hampton Park. However where I live we have had a a few murders one just down the road, a young man, another woman, both of these were found in dams and a druggie killed his grandparents around the corner.

So no area is crime free or drug free. You never know who lives in the Street
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Coburg is part of Moreland, the average price here is now well over 500,000, and hardly affected by the downturn So I doubt if the OP would easily afford it.

Moreland is not a high crime area.... mmm except for the real Mafia and Carl Williams mob, who were only interested in each other and are now banged up.

Reservoir also has some good areas, especially around Oaklands.

Heres a couple of 1 mil plus properties and a renovators delight at 800,000 in Coburg.

Now where did you get the Idea that Coburg was to be avoided ? Considering it sits on the Longest shopping strip ...the 6 kilometers of Sydney Rd... In Australia. Saying Coburg is a bad area, is a bit like saying Shoreditch and Camden in London are to be avoided, both of which have a lot in common with Moreland. I'd say calling Coburg a dodgy area, would have been apt 30 years ago, when the now closed Pentridge prison was the main reason the area was known.

People around here, would think anything beyond Box Hill in the East was to be avoided... who wants to spend an over an hour in the car every day... Plus all the train lines in the east have far more crime on them than over this region.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1217389041

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007259711
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007175936

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 30th 2008 at 4:09 am.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:07 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with croydon IMO
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hastings
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a fan of Tullamarine mainly because of the plains not the people.

Hastings has only one dodgy area and has now been discovered unfortunately its sad that little coastal towns are being yuppyfied.

Hastings is now becoming a retirement place for the elderly.

Not a fan of Sunshine either.

Near the city Collingwood used to be dodgy still bit dodgy on Smith St. However its discovered too, like everywhere up to 10 ks from the city.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hastings has only one dodgy area and has now been discovered unfortunately its sad that little coastal towns are being yuppyfied.

Hastings is now becoming a retirement place for the elderly.

I spend too much time around Hastings and there is more than one rough area, sure West Park is the worst but the rest of the place isn't much better.

I would rather live in North Frankston than there, as for retirement places the biggest by far is going up in Mornington on the corner on Bungower and Racecourse rd.

Have to agree about Sunshine, it's the pits.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Today there is an article about South East Melbourne and crime in the Sun.

I think most suburbs have problems. I personally would not live in the Pines, North Frankston, Dandenong, Hampton Park. However where I live we have had a a few murders one just down the road, a young man, another woman, both of these were found in dams and a druggie killed his grandparents around the corner.

So no area is crime free or drug free. You never know who lives in the Street
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
People around here, would think anything beyond Box Hill in the East was to be avoided... who wants to spend an over an hour in the car every day... Plus all the train lines in the east have far more crime on them than over this region.
Living in the SE I can sort of confirm that Dandenong is the pits.
If you are going to live SE, (E of Warrigal rd) I recommend living N of the Princes Highway.
The SE of Melbourne after Oakleigh is a bit crap. It only improves once you get to Narre Warren and even then problem is a lot of new estates which are crap to be honest.and then Berwick is the jewel in the crown.

I actually recommend due E rather than SE.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input so far, I'll summarize it all and come up with a good "avoid list" for when I look for a place to live in Melbourne.

If anyone has any additional advice, please continue to post!!

Last edited by torcraw; Jul 30th 2008 at 1:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.