British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   melbourne weather in march (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-weather-march-278369/)

rubbeldiekatz Jan 18th 2005 1:26 pm

melbourne weather in march

I need sunshine !!

The weather here in europe is crap but it looks like the earliest I can come back to melbourne is march....does anyone know what the weather is supposed to be in march ? Maybe a late summer ? I need sunshine bad, the weather here is killing me...ok, thanks guys.

lauralollipop Jan 18th 2005 1:50 pm

Re: melbourne weather in march

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
I need sunshine !!

The weather here in europe is crap but it looks like the earliest I can come back to melbourne is march....does anyone know what the weather is supposed to be in march ? Maybe a late summer ? I need sunshine bad, the weather here is killing me...ok, thanks guys.

hi

I have never been to Melboune but it says in my book that March weather is nice and is the best time to go, i hope so as we are arriving there on 4th Feb and I need the nice weather to last a while...............

can anyone verify this?

Pollyana Jan 18th 2005 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi

I have never been to Melboune but it says in my book that March weather is nice and is the best time to go, i hope so as we are arriving there on 4th Feb and I need the nice weather to last a while...............

can anyone verify this?

Been there twice so far, both during the first week of March - each time there has been at least one day of high 30s, and at least one of 20-22 degrees. A few showers, nothing amazing, but be prepared for a big range of temps. :)

Bordy Jan 18th 2005 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi

can anyone verify this?

I know its always lovely around about Easter time. Not to hot like the 30s & 40s we are getting just now but long calm days in mid 20s with great sunsets at night. Yeah it sure is a great time in Melbourne, I'm sure you will love it.

lauralollipop Jan 18th 2005 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
I know its always lovely around about Easter time. Not to hot like the 30s & 40s we are getting just now but long calm days in mid 20s with great sunsets at night. Yeah it sure is a great time in Melbourne, I'm sure you will love it.

see you soon boardy, not long for us now, God I'm so excited........ :D hope to go to the surfing comp on Bells beach at easter, so hope its nice, cant wait!

laura
x

Badge Jan 18th 2005 7:10 pm

Last March, actually was the best. We had no rainfall at all, to speak of, it was one of the lowest on records...

I remember roasting in a suit in 25 degrees going for interviews and days and days of sunshine.

It is very settled on the whole. Mid April, it starts cooling off fast, my wife needed the fire on for the first time at the end of April when she arrived - and you lose the light rapidly in the evenings as the clocks go back at the end of March.

I highly recommend March.

Badge :)

Shellfish Jan 18th 2005 9:53 pm

March and April in Melbourne are OK but by May you are well on your way into Autumn/winter which lasts 6 months (cold and rain). Perhaps access whether it's worth 2 months of summer followed by 6 months of cold when you would be moving into spring in Europe. It's just something to bear in mind because we did that and I found back to back winters a real killer.

Badge Jan 18th 2005 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shellfish
March and April in Melbourne are OK but by May you are well on your way into Autumn/winter which lasts 6 months (cold and rain). Perhaps access whether it's worth 2 months of summer followed by 6 months of cold when you would be moving into spring in Europe. It's just something to bear in mind because we did that and I found back to back winters a real killer.

Very sensible, very sensible. One way of looking at it, is that Melbourne cools off very quickly and it can seem like a 6 month winter. (Its not that bad though, June July - and yes - August can seem cold).

Adelaide, Sydney and Perth (and Brissy obviously) get a lot more daytime winter sun which can make the autumn winter much more bearable. The good thing about Adelaide and Perth is that a lot of their rain is at night. Melbourne is much more uniform.

Badge

hevs Jan 19th 2005 3:52 am

March is my favorite month here weatherwise:)