Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne weather?

Melbourne weather?

Old May 19th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Default Melbourne weather?

Hi,we are going to Melbourne in September,after getting our visas today!!!!!Whats the weather like around September there and what are the winters really like?Cheers Dave
Old May 20th 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne weather?

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,we are going to Melbourne in September,after getting our visas today!!!!!Whats the weather like around September there and what are the winters really like?Cheers Dave
Only been here for 17 months...so have only experienced one winter...obviously now starting the second. From what we've experienced, winter here is like an English spring - last winter we got the lowest daytime temp for 25 years...and that was 10C - not bad really !! Can be windy and rainy...but also plenty of days inbetween where it is 18/20C and sunny skies (which makes it feel warmer...the winter sun here is still warm, unlike a winter sun in UK).

September is probably the rainest month....

Congratulations on getting your visas
Old May 20th 2006, 3:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne weather?

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Only been here for 17 months...so have only experienced one winter...obviously now starting the second. From what we've experienced, winter here is like an English spring - last winter we got the lowest daytime temp for 25 years...and that was 10C - not bad really !! Can be windy and rainy...but also plenty of days inbetween where it is 18/20C and sunny skies (which makes it feel warmer...the winter sun here is still warm, unlike a winter sun in UK).

September is probably the rainest month....

Congratulations on getting your visas
Thanks CG, as it looks like we will now be arriving in Melbourne in May 2007 that is most encouraging.

Plus I get to go skiing!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 20th 2006, 6:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

When I was there in Nov 2004, it chucked it down for 3 days straight and was pretty damn chilly
Old May 20th 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

We were there in November 2004 too and it was cold, very windy and wet for for the whole week we were there but I'm sure there are many sunny days that make up for that!
Old May 20th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I think it's probably the most unpredictable of the main Aussie cities for weather. It can go from 15 degrees one day to 25 the next then back down again the next
I was there for a week last August and it was pretty cold, but have just spent six weeks there early in the year and it ranged from around 30 degrees during the Comm games in March to bloody freezing a month later!
Outside of the main summer months it can be very warm during the day then freezing at night - all the heat seems to be in the sun so it can get very cold very quickly once the sun goes in.
But as someone else said, you can get plenty of bright sunny days even in the middle of the winter which is very pleasant.
I'm hoping to move there in September too if everything goes according to plan so might see you there weeman.
Congrats with the visa
Old May 20th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I think it's probably the most unpredictable of the main Aussie cities for weather. It can go from 15 degrees one day to 25 the next then back down again the next
I was there for a week last August and it was pretty cold, but have just spent six weeks there early in the year and it ranged from around 30 degrees during the Comm games in March to bloody freezing a month later!
Outside of the main summer months it can be very warm during the day then freezing at night - all the heat seems to be in the sun so it can get very cold very quickly once the sun goes in.
But as someone else said, you can get plenty of bright sunny days even in the middle of the winter which is very pleasant.
I'm hoping to move there in September too if everything goes according to plan so might see you there weeman.
Congrats with the visa
Hi,thanks forthat,what part of Melbourne would you be going to,we have family in South Frankston area so we are going there at first,cheers Dave&Claire
Old May 20th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Hi,thanks forthat,what part of Melbourne would you be going to,we have family in South Frankston area so we are going there at first,cheers Dave&Claire
Well, I'm waiting to see if a company in the CBD, who have offered me a job and are willing to sponsor me, get clearance by the immigration people to sponsor overseas employees. If so, I'll be hopefully going a 457 visa and living in one of the inner suburbs.
I spent six weeks in Prahran and loved it. I really love the buzz of the inner city suburbs - great cafe/bar/restaurant/live music/shopping culture!
Also, don't want to spend too much time travelling to work so want to be in zone 1.
We'll probably rent somewhere like that for six months and then see - if we decide to buy we may have to live further out so we'll have a good look round.
You'll love it - there's always something go on in Melbourne, and it'll just be coming into spring/summer then so weather should be warming up nicely. Good luck with the move
Old May 20th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Was in Melbourne 2004, cold and wet almost down to zero once sun went down. Reminded me of Manchester wet, grey and cold. Don't forget your woolies
Old May 20th 2006, 7:08 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne in quite possibly the finest city in Oz (IMO! LOL). Don't worry about the weather.

When we lived there in '98-'99 it was 42C on Christmas day and then 18C and pissing it down for the boxing day test at the MCG. Needless to say, we didn't see much cricket. I think that that was one of the biggest 'swings' in Melbournes weather records from one day to the next...

Fantastic city though...

Graham
Old May 21st 2006, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Having experienced 5 springs here in Melbourne I can tell you that in September there will definitely be some weather and lots of it.

We have seen lots of rain (spring is the main time for dams to fill) and also one year with not much rain.
Temp can vary between 15 to 30 deg- my hairdresser also told me that the year she was pregnant (about 12 years ago) Sept/Oct was high 30's.

At worst it will be like a wet UK spring, at best like early summer days- but a great time here as everything should be green and lush (which unfortunately does not last)
Old May 21st 2006, 1:02 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Having experienced 5 springs here in Melbourne I can tell you that in September there will definitely be some weather and lots of it.

We have seen lots of rain (spring is the main time for dams to fill) and also one year with not much rain.
Temp can vary between 15 to 30 deg- my hairdresser also told me that the year she was pregnant (about 12 years ago) Sept/Oct was high 30's.

At worst it will be like a wet UK spring, at best like early summer days- but a great time here as everything should be green and lush (which unfortunately does not last)
All I can say is it's alot bloody better than bloody here - -its bloody raining you know!!!

And bloody cold

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 1:03 am

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
All I can say is it's alot bloody better than bloody here - -its bloody raining you know!!!

And bloody cold

xRachx
And did i mention it's bloody raining?
Old May 21st 2006, 1:05 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
And did i mention it's bloody raining?
Blue skies here....shit winter this year
Old May 21st 2006, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Blue skies here....shit winter this year
Bloody bugger!!!!

xRachx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.