Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne weather

Melbourne weather

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:43 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Sparkley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne weather

Almost scared to ask after some of the comments I've read on here but....

As some of you know, I'm visiting Melbourne for nearly 3 months (with Aussie b/f) then applying for DeFacto on my return.

His family have been telling us how dreadful the weather is recently - plllleeeeeasssssee tell me it's likely to brighten up by the time we get there - late Nov! (will be in Queensland for 10 days beforehand)

I know it's erratic, but does it settle AT ALL in Dec/Jan?

Desperately needing some sunshine
Sparkley
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We had stinking 45 degrees last January!!

It's changeable - that's just Melbourne! But true to it's description "4 seasons in one day" one minute it will be pouring with rain and 5 mins later blue skies and glorious sunshine (and 5 mins after that hail stones and thunder!!!) Just bring a brolly and take it everywhere with you.

After QLD in Jan, you'll be glad to be in Victoria!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:54 pm
Melbourne wannabe

45 degrees!
After QLD in Jan, you'll be glad to be in Victoria!
Scuse my ignorance but what's QLD HiddenPaw?

End of Jan I'll be back to sunny N Ireland Shouldn't mock it really - been surprisingly gorgeous here lately.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 2:33 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sparkley
45 degrees!
Scuse my ignorance but what's QLD HiddenPaw?

End of Jan I'll be back to sunny N Ireland Shouldn't mock it really - been surprisingly gorgeous here lately.
QLD = Queensland.

Think HiddenPaw is refering to the heat and humity of QLD in the summer. Some like it, she obviously does'nt!

Melbourne should be warming up nicely for your arrival in Novemeber.

And yes....throughout the summer the weather is generally pretty settled.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:42 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Cheers Pete
Old Oct 25th 2003, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I read it that you were coming in Jan.

Pete's right - I was referring to the humidity in Queensland in the middle of summer, especially the tropical north (I'm a wuss when it comes to handling it, I admit!)

It will be a nice time of year in Mel in Nov/Dec - end of spring / early summer so can still be cool at times but also lovely and hot. You will get plenty of sun, that's for sure. Jan willbe even better

Last summer seems like a distant memory but I remember cycling to work and some days being thankful of the down hill bits where the breeze would cool me down (and this would be 7.30am!)

Oh roll on summer.....I'm excited now!!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 9:20 am
Badge

When I first arrived in Melbourne in December it was 40 degrees.
The next two weeks it was humid, overcast and drizzly like the UK - which momentarily put me off a tad I have to admit.

Surprising how Melborne seems like the UK when the weather turns for the worse but you DO get used to it. Still better weather than UK overall.

Badge

Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:23 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Ho No!!!

Don't tell me I'm emigrating to a place just like the UK:scared:

That's it I'll have to go inland.
Thare must be something to do in that big outback appart from counting sheep.

Bye
Markeh