Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne VS Sydney!

Wikiposts

Melbourne VS Sydney!

Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:03 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne VS Sydney!

Originally Posted by renth
You're obviously not living in Cronulla.
Obviously not a Lebanese beachgoer at Cronulla.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You're obviously not living in Cronulla.

Nope, I'm not. And now I am going to shoot myself in the foot by getting involved in a discussion, which is something I HATE doing on message boards because the sincerity of how people speak does not come over in words and it can so often be misconstrued.

So here goes.......................... :scared:

Cronulla was not so much about racism, as race. Much like Everton vs Liverpool, (sorry to people who support these teams - I'm not trying to suggest they are bad in the hooligan world, I'm just trying to make an example of two rival factions - I don't even know if they fight these days - I'm going back many many years!!!!!!). Maybe England vs France or Germany would be better!!! Gang vs Gang, mindless idiotic fighting between testosterone filled idiots.

It happened to involve gangs from different countries. But that's how society is built. Look at us. We have come half way around the world and what are we doing? We are searching for something familiar by being on a site like this and going to meet other expats. People from other countries do the same thing, and so their friends tend to be from their own country. In some communities this is stronger than others. I know there are areas of Sydney where there are mini communes almost......Italians go to Leichhardt, Cambodians go to Bonnyrigg etc

Racism is more personal, comments to an individual due to their colour usually, although not always. It is also open to interpretation. I remember a comment from someone when I first arrived. I was talking about living in Cherrybrook. This person said to me "you don't want to live there, that's where all the Chinese people live". I felt this comment was racist - and believe me, I have personal reasons for being VERY sensitive to racism due to colour. What I actually think she meant was that it would be harder to fit in because the predominant culture was Chinese (I don't actually think it is, but I think this was her point). It's all a bit of a grey area - being called a POM could be construed as racism by some - for me it's not.

Anyway, we have experiences, and one bad one compared to many many good ones can sometimes completely obliterate that good. My original point was that one cannot judge the WHOLE of NSW just because of a bad experience in one area.

Sorry to the OP, we have all rather hijacked your thread. I hope someone has some useful advice for you.

Rudi

Last edited by Rudi; Jul 5th 2006 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:36 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
My original point was that one cannot judge the WHOLE of NSW just because of a bad experience in one area.

Sorry to the OP, we have all rather hijacked your thread. I hope someone has some useful advice for you.

Rudi
Well said
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia

I also know people that live in Melbourne and love it. Personally the weather in Melbourne would get me down, I spent a long weekend there last year, it was breezy, drizzling,cold and gloomy! Reminded me so much of London/UK weather.

As that is one of the things we want to escape.. we are heading to Sydney to join my Family, parents etc....

Good luck in your decision.
Well if you don't like wet weater, don't go to Sydney as it gets far more rain than Melbourne. Mean monthly rainfall for March in Sydney is 131mm vs Melbourne's 34mm ! It is also more humid in summer in Sydney than in Melbourne.

We have lived in Melbourne for just over a year and may be moving to Sydney. May take is that Sydney City centre is VERY busy and noisy as it has more traffic due to not having the trams that Melbourne has. We haven't really travelled outside of the City much and so look forward to that.
As far as I am concerned, people are people and you get idiots wherever you go. As long as you can get a place to live and money coming in, then the rest is up to you.

Last edited by BenandPam; Jul 5th 2006 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:18 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi There,

Personally the weather in Melbourne would get me down, I spent a long weekend there last year, it was breezy, drizzling,cold and gloomy! Reminded me so much of London/UK weather.
What month were you there?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

People in Melbourne are no less racist than in Sydney. I have lived in both and heard bucketloads of racist sh!t both in Melbourne and Sydney. Aussies tend to be quite open about their prejudices in my experience and IMO that's because there is so much of it.

.....pounce now.......
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
People in Melbourne are no less racist than in Sydney. I have lived in both and heard bucketloads of racist sh!t both in Melbourne and Sydney. Aussies tend to be quite open about their prejudices in my experience and IMO that's because there is so much of it.

.....pounce now.......
Ive never heard anyone in either city calling me a Scottish b***ard.

I love both cities, Melbourne to live in & Sydney for a long weekend.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:41 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

.....pounce now.......

I am soooo fed up of hearing how bloody racist Aussies are - if you dont like it why not bugger off back!!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I am soooo fed up of hearing how bloody racist Aussies are - if you dont like it why not bugger off back!!
I'm sick of people who have only lived here for a short period of time commenting on what they think Aussies are like based on one person. Take your rose tints off!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm sick of people who have only lived here for a short period of time commenting on what they think Aussies are like based on one person. Take your rose tints off!

Ive been here 7 years & have never seen it as a big problem !!!!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:47 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Based on one person?? Where the hell did you get that nugget of information from? I based my answer on my personal experience - isnt that what this site is all about??? I just dont understand why those who just sit here all day bloody slaggin Oz off dont just go home?! Simple really!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ive been here 7 years & have never seen it as a big problem !!!!

I should think any amount of racism anywhere is a problem!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:53 pm
The Godfather

I should think any amount of racism anywhere is a problem!

Ok where should I go & live then?????
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Based on one person?? Where the hell did you get that nugget of information from? I based my answer on my personal experience - isnt that what this site is all about??? I just dont understand why those who just sit here all day bloody slaggin Oz off dont just go home?! Simple really!
Maybe if you read my post you'd see that I wasn't slagging off all Aussies. I base my opinion on having lived here for 3 years and hearing all sorts of racist crap, I didn't say that ALL Aussies were racist. Having an opinion doesn't have to mean I'm slagging Oz off.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ok where should I go & live then?????
Where twgwn's living obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.