Melbourne verses the UK

Wikiposts

Melbourne verses the UK

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Melbourne verses the UK

Ok guys

Make sure that you read to the very end!!

Getting Down!!

I have to say that for the last month I have just been so close to tears and wanting to go home!!
I have missed the family so much that I was surprised that my feelings for them were so strong. What has been the hardest is drinking with my best mate… I need her laughter at my jokes as if they are really funny….I need her shoulder for when I feel I hate my husband (1 week of every month), I need her to be my rock in losing weight (just to put it back on again with a curry and pint). I hit rock bottom, that's for shore… then it all changed in one dream!
I saw it all again, the large greyness of the over populated English towns… the area’s of country side that you can do nothing in apart from walk along the dangerous narrow roads, the pathetic parks that consist of a rusty slide and swing…and I compared it to Melbourne…

Low level houses giving you a feel of space, wide roads lined with tree’s, a sun that warms you the instant it shines, massive park area’s in every suburb with kids fortresses to play on and bbq’s and picnic benches, and just 10 mins outside the city the most perfect natural beauty. Lakes and reservoirs the size of small counties…with play area’s, beaches, bbq’s and free parking… Waterfalls, and one of the best beaches in the world. Now lets not forget the skiing in the winter.. The birds also deserve a mention:- fantastic colored Rosella, Kookaburras laughing in the trees and Cockatiels swooping in the air. I have only been here 2 months some I am sure there is a lot more to see yet. Am I still missing the UK – NO I love it here!!! :-}
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melbourne verses the UK

Hi ya,

Everyone has days, (even after years) when you can miss family, think of all the bad bits in one place then all the good bits in the other.

The next week you can reverse the list and apply it to the other place. Take a grey cold rainy traffic jammed day in Melb same thing. Take a walk in an English lane in spring and OZ looks very ugly.

Fact is neither place will ever be perfect or have ALL the right bits with the other having all the WRONG bits.

What you have to do is work out which bits are more important to you. Unfortunately thats a bit hard at first, most people are either on cloud 9 at the holiday mode, or worried sick at jobs or something. After a while a clearer picture emerges, you have a real picture of what both places are like and the answer comes along.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:07 am
Badge

great posts!!

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't it been the moved gorgeous day in Melbourne? It's been a fair few months since I've seen a crystal clear blue sky with not a single cloud.

We had our first Melbourne BBQ of the spring - couldn't ask for more (actually I would have liked TWO glasses of wine instead of one but I'm not allowed!!). How was your BBQ?

I love waking to the sound of the birds - the crows crack me up, and the first time I heard a kookaburra I thought there were monkeys living in the trees. One of the other great things about here are the possums...I love watching the possums in the moonlight.

(Remind me again why I am moving back to UK!!)
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Clare Everest
Melbourne…

Low level houses giving you a feel of space, wide roads lined with tree’s, a sun that warms you the instant it shines, massive park area’s in every suburb with kids fortresses to play on and bbq’s and picnic benches, and just 10 mins outside the city the most perfect natural beauty. Lakes and reservoirs the size of small counties…with play area’s, beaches, bbq’s and free parking… Waterfalls, and one of the best beaches in the world. Now lets not forget the skiing in the winter.. The birds also deserve a mention:- fantastic colored Rosella, Kookaburras laughing in the trees and Cockatiels swooping in the air. I have only been here 2 months some I am sure there is a lot more to see yet. Am I still missing the UK – NO I love it here!!! :-}

Thanks for that Clare, that has really cheered me up.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:10 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by dotty
Hi ya,

Everyone has days, (even after years) when you can miss family, think of all the bad bits in one place then all the good bits in the other.

The next week you can reverse the list and apply it to the other place. Take a grey cold rainy traffic jammed day in Melb same thing. Take a walk in an English lane in spring and OZ looks very ugly.

Fact is neither place will ever be perfect or have ALL the right bits with the other having all the WRONG bits.

What you have to do is work out which bits are more important to you. Unfortunately thats a bit hard at first, most people are either on cloud 9 at the holiday mode, or worried sick at jobs or something. After a while a clearer picture emerges, you have a real picture of what both places are like and the answer comes along.
Very sound advice Dotty. As Neil Diamond said in one of his songs - LA is fine but it ain't home, New York's mine but it ain't home no more - I am, I said ..... or something like that.

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:12 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hasn't it been the moved gorgeous day in Melbourne? It's been a fair few months since I've seen a crystal clear blue sky with not a single cloud.

We had our first Melbourne BBQ of the spring - couldn't ask for more (actually I would have liked TWO glasses of wine instead of one but I'm not allowed!!). How was your BBQ?

I love waking to the sound of the birds - the crows crack me up, and the first time I heard a kookaburra I thought there were monkeys living in the trees. One of the other great things about here are the possums...I love watching the possums in the moonlight.

(Remind me again why I am moving back to UK!!)

How did the Melbourne Cup go? First Tuesday in November. I think it was on Sky here but I forgot to set the video to record it.

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
How did the Melbourne Cup go? First Tuesday in November. I think it was on Sky here but I forgot to set the video to record it.

TennisOz
The most fantatstic weather for starters! 24 was the forecast but temp gauge was 29 at about 3pm (not in the sun).

I can't rememebr who won but it wasn't the favourite. There was a record crowd of 123,000. I didn't go tho (as you can gather).
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:28 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
The most fantatstic weather for starters! 24 was the forecast but temp gauge was 29 at about 3pm (not in the sun).

I can't rememebr who won but it wasn't the favourite. There was a record crowd of 123,000. I didn't go tho (as you can gather).
H/P

Thanks for that. It's just over 29 here (fahrenheit!). 123,000!! I've only been the cup twice. I remember a group of us went when I was at 'uni'. We wore dinner suits, bow ties etc and it was over 30 (celsius!).

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

great day for a bike ride hardly any cars on the road and a cool breeze not into this Melbourne cup thing perhaps next year.
David
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohh My God!!

Sorry guys I forgot that we had the day off because of the racing!! I just got drunk and had a bbq the OZ way with some friends..... I think that we went to a lake but i am not sure!!!

Can i please ask what bird makes a very loud buzzing noise when being disturbed in a nest near to where you are mowing!!

Hidden Paw..... I am not sure why you are going back!!! a baby on the way can change a lot, and family may be what you need right now!! if you decide to change your mind I will love to keep in touch and be a friend!

I have to say that even when the weather is rubbish like 4 weeks ago at least you had the option of skiing on your doorstep..... i have really had my down days but all in all Melbourne is the place for us as a family.... it does has its down side and I think that it is more expensive than the UK especially with kids but the natural beauty can't have a price tag on it!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:10 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Clare Everest
Ohh My God!!

Sorry guys I forgot that we had the day off because of the racing!! I just got drunk and had a bbq the OZ way with some friends..... I think that we went to a lake but i am not sure!!!
It sounds as though even Melbourne can look good after a drink or two

The sun has come out in Perth today and it is set to be between 30-33 for the next week. About bl***y time too.

Glad your feeling better about being in Melbourne, I expect the days will be up and down, we haven't experienced any extremes as yet just a gentle (g)rumbling.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:10 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Mikaybe Diva ... the one I backed!

Happy days.

Originally posted by tennisoz

TennisOz
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:17 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Mikaybe Diva ... the one I backed!

Happy days.
Well done, you'll be giving discounts on your schedule of fees Alan? I can remember a long time ago backing a NZ horse called Van Der Hum but haven't had a winner since

TennisOz