Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne, Vermont

Melbourne, Vermont

Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice
Default Melbourne, Vermont

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about Vermont?

How easy is it to commute to the CBD and would anyone recommend it to rent in to begin with?

We are looking for an area in the east (working in Boxhill) Not too built up, with plenty open spaces without being too remote, any suggestions guys!!

We plan to have a good look around when we arrive but knowing a few key areas to look at would help lots!!

Roni
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne, Vermont

Originally Posted by Aus4us
Hi,

Yes, it's where they film Neighbours !

I don't knwo anything else about the area tho (altho did go house hunting there at one point)
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:21 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm living just south of there in Glen Waverley. I did look at a few houses in Vermont South.

Commuting to the CBD there are a couple of options. The Monash freeway, about 35 mins to CBD in peak hour, 20 mins out of peak. The last section to the city is a toll road so you need an e-tag for your car and an account with citylink ( www.citylink.com.au ) . The nearest train line runs from Glen Waverley into the city and takes about 30-40 mins, runs regularly, bout every 30 mins out of peak times and more frequently during peak. Think a day ticket costs about $8 but there are season tickets available.

They are just completing a tram line extension to Vermont on the Burwood Highway, it will run out to just east of Springvale Road, is due to be finished later this year, will probably be a bit longer than the train but same ticket for all public transport so shouldn't be any dearer.

Metlink website: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/splash.php

Public Transport map of the area: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/l...City+of+Monash

I was told by friends of mine from Melbourne that Box Hill, Vermont South, Glen Waverley, Mt Waverley are all reasonable areas. Glen Waverley has a large Asian (Chinese/Japanese) community, not sure about the other areas. Was told to avoid Springvale, Clayton and Noble Park which are a bit further south.

If you have kids then Glen Waverley has some very sought after schools, houses in the school zone go for a premium.

There are plenty of amenities around, to the east along the Burwood Highway is Knox City, http://www.knoxcity.com.au/ a huge shopping centre/entertainment complex/cinema and most suburbs have a local mall (I have two decent shopping malls available withing five mins drive). Not sure about Vermont but Glen Waverley has a large public pool/sports centre, library, council offices, all the usual stuff you need. Vic Roads which you will need for driving licence etc is on the Burwood Highway just west of Springvale Road.

The main roads are pretty busy during the day (Springvale Road and Burwood Highway being the main routes through this part of town) and a lot of rental properties are on these roads so would suggest avoiding them.

To give you an idea of property I am renting a 2 year old, 3 bed unit (in UK would be a decent sized bungalow), open plan living area, fitted kitchen, separate laundry and garage with a small but adequate garden on a quiet residential street for $300 pw.

If you look on www.realestate.com.au and search for Box Hill, Vermont South, Glen Waverley, Mt Waverley and surrounding areas should give you a good idea of what's around to rent. To find out where somewhere is if you don't have a map then use http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/home.jsp

As far as open spaces go there is the huge Jells Park with bike trails, walking, bbq areas etc just east of Springvale Road and a 30-40 minute drive east will see you in the Dandenongs which are beautiful. Most suburbs have plenty of smaller parks dotted about with play areas for children, skate parks etc.

When are you moving out? I assume you have your visas all sorted. If you want any more info PM me, will gladly find out anything you need to know.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:07 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I know about the area is that it's where Mr. Mundy's Tavern is. Corner of Springvale & Hawthorne roads, next to the Ch. 10 Studios. One of my mate's used to work there. Quite possibly the best pint of Guiness in Melbourne, and at the best price ($5 a pint). Mr. Mundy is an expat too, from Kent. He's been in Aus about 25 years.

NJJ
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:12 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Yes, it's where they film Neighbours !

I don't knwo anything else about the area tho (altho did go house hunting there at one point)
Thought that was Erinsborough?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Aus4us
Hi,

How easy is it to commute to the CBD and would anyone recommend it to rent in to begin with?

We are looking for an area in the east (working in Boxhill) Not too built up, with plenty open spaces without being too remote, any suggestions guys!!

We plan to have a good look around when we arrive but knowing a few key areas to look at would help lots!!

Roni
If you look at a Melways, the easiest option would be to look at the Lilydale train line and suburbs along this line.

Box Hill is on the same line. There is a fast train from Box Hill to Flinders Street which takes approximately 25 minutes.

Nice areas to live near Box Hill include Mont Albert, Balwyn, Surrey Hills, Doncaster, Mitcham, Blackburn, Heathmont, Forest Hill.

Box Hill is dominantly an asian community. The majority of shops are run by Asians, and the market inside Box Hill Central has every type of asian food and condiment that you could ever want. Prices are very reasonable too.

I love going there on a Saturday and buying all my fruit, veggies, meat and fish there.

Regards
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Thanks for the replies!!

'Flying banana' thanks for the web links - very helpful.
(Sent you a PM)

Roni