Reload this Page >

Melbourne. Veiw From A Train

Melbourne. Veiw From A Train

Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

April11 is on a distinguished road
Default Melbourne. Veiw From A Train

Hi Guys,

My Husband arrived in Melbourne yesterday and we are going to join him on the 13 March. Giving him enough time to find us somewhere to rent hopefully.

He took a train ride into the city from Tullamarine and was surprised to see how bad some of the area’s looked and how much graffiti there was. He has decided straight away that he wouldn’t like to live around there. I just wonted to know what your views were on the subject Do places look a lot better the further out of the city you go.

We have two boys age 13 and 9 and we are currently trying for number three, so we need a place that looks nice and clean and has good schools, and also parks for them to play on. I hope this isn’t asking too much.

We are not bothered about living right in the city but would be nice if a beach was no more than an hours drive at the weekends, and not to far from where my husband will be working which is near Tullamarine airport.

Any views would be great.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melbourne. Veiw From A Train

We lived in Melbourne for about 18 months before moving 'up the road' to Brisbane.... Have to agree with your Hubby, the graffiti - certainly on the train lines was disgusting. Mind you, I'd say no more so than say Manchester or London.

There are lots of very nice areas in close proximity to the CBD with good schools but prsonally I preferred the areas a little further out - Mount Eliza, Mornington etc. - then you have the issue of commuting....
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of places look ordinary from a train(!)

My line heads through some of the poorest suburbs on the way out to the nicer country areas.

Looking at the industry, the graffiti and the occasional weirdo, through the window, and also the cheaper, blander, suburban blocks built facing the line you'd be forgiven for thinking that Melbourne is crap.

Reminds me of the lines that go through parts of S London compared to SW London.

Reminds me of the lines that head SW out of Sydney compared to the nicer N shore lines although my memory lets me down here now.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think you'll get the best view of any city from a suburban train (other than perhaps going over Sydney Harbour bridge). I commute into Sydney from the North Shore and much of the line has terrible graffitti. However many of the areas the line passes through are really nice. I think unfortunately railway lines seem to act as a magnet to the idiots who are into graffitti, maybe they think the people on the trains will be impressed
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.

Houses that back onto railway lines are hardly prime real estate - in any country.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

flip60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ever travelled into liverpool st London on the train , its horrendous, do you think your moving to the garden of eden , get real!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flip60
Have you ever travelled into liverpool st London on the train , its horrendous, do you think your moving to the garden of eden , get real!
anyone been to Berlin & took a ride on the train ? , now thats graffiti
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
We lived in Melbourne for about 18 months before moving 'up the road' to Brisbane.... Have to agree with your Hubby, the graffiti - certainly on the train lines was disgusting. Mind you, I'd say no more so than say Manchester or London.

There are lots of very nice areas in close proximity to the CBD with good schools but prsonally I preferred the areas a little further out - Mount Eliza, Mornington etc. - then you have the issue of commuting....
Not sure the OP wants to live in Manchester or London funny you should mention it! I don't think they were asking for a comparison! But very typical of this site!

Back on subject, yes there's lots of lovely scruffy looking graffiti all over when traveling by train in Melbourne, seems like everywhere there's a space someone has daubed on it! But lots of nice places to live in, just shop about a bit!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:39 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Hmmm.

Houses that back onto railway lines are hardly prime real estate - in any country.
Well it does drop the price from in the tens of millions to hundreds of thousands in our area.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

We lived right on the intercity line into Euston when we lived in Wembley. You had to stop talking when a train went by, and the house would start humming about 5 minutes before the train actually reached us strangely enough you get used to it. Also lived in the flight path of Heathrow, got used to low flying planes we well! Live in the countryside now, the loudest noise we hear is the odd tractor driving by!

Dolly
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My flat was near a railway line in London.

Every time a train went by, the flat shuddered - it was slight but you felt it!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Not sure the OP wants to live in Manchester or London funny you should mention it! I don't think they were asking for a comparison! But very typical of this site!
)
Nice...

Actually I think that Manchester and London are great comparisons to Melbourne - cold, wet, overcrowded and bleak, as such I felt it was appropriate to mention both places just to make sure the OP know's what they're coming to ...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:48 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Nice...

Actually I think that Manchester and London are great comparisons to Melbourne - cold, wet, overcrowded and bleak, as such I felt it was appropriate to mention both places just to make sure the OP know's what they're coming to ...
You are kidding aren't you?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Nice...

Have to disagree with your assessment of Melbourne, weather wise it's not a tropical climate but it's hardly cold and wet all year round, and I'd never describe it as bleak.

Forget about the graffiti along the railway line, it's not a realistic way of judging what a suburb/area is like.

There are plenty of places that would fit the bill for you, some websites below to help with issues like affordability, travel, amenities, etc.

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1

http://www.vicnet.net.au/government/localgovt/

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Alot of places look ordinary from a train(!)

My line heads through some of the poorest suburbs on the way out to the nicer country areas.

Looking at the industry, the graffiti and the occasional weirdo, through the window, and also the cheaper, blander, suburban blocks built facing the line you'd be forgiven for thinking that Melbourne is crap.

Reminds me of the lines that go through parts of S London compared to SW London.

Reminds me of the lines that head SW out of Sydney compared to the nicer N shore lines although my memory lets me down here now.
My train into London Bridge used to go through some choice areas of South London. Bermondsey looks like the Luftwaffe had just finished a raid. I've taken commuter trains into Paris and Milan and they went through some terrible suburbs. So the same as Melbourne, sydney etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.