Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne v Sydney Quarantine

Melbourne v Sydney Quarantine

Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Annette73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne v Sydney Quarantine

We've recently emigrated and decided to settle in Eastern Victoria. We're having our collie/springer X sent out shortly but don't know whether to have him sent to Melbourne or Sydney as regards quarantine. I've heard some mixed reports about Melbourne and for the most part good reports about Sydney - does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Melbourne v Sydney Quarantine

Originally posted by Annette73
We've recently emigrated and decided to settle in Eastern Victoria. We're having our collie/springer X sent out shortly but don't know whether to have him sent to Melbourne or Sydney as regards quarantine. I've heard some mixed reports about Melbourne and for the most part good reports about Sydney - does anyone have any recommendations?

Now I'm worried - what negative reports have you heard about Melbourne? Our pooch is booked to fly out on the 26th October but I haven't heard bad things about quarantine and would hate to think that she would be mistreated or anything.

Please fill me in
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Oh please don 't be alarmed!! The report which concerned me a bit about Melbourne was that they don't exercise dogs, or at least they didn't in the case of some British friends who bought their dog out about a year ago. It may well be that they don't in Sydney either but I was a bit concerned as our friends said that if they didn't go and visit their dog, he didn't get exercised. I've looked back at previous postings on this forum and have noticed a few recommendations for Melbourne (as well as Sydney), I was just hoping to get a few more opinions with this posting so I can decide on which quarantine station to send him too. Please don't be concerned by this - I am sure they are both good and both look after animals in their care well
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Annette73
Oh please don 't be alarmed!! The report which concerned me a bit about Melbourne was that they don't exercise dogs, or at least they didn't in the case of some British friends who bought their dog out about a year ago. It may well be that they don't in Sydney either but I was a bit concerned as our friends said that if they didn't go and visit their dog, he didn't get exercised. I've looked back at previous postings on this forum and have noticed a few recommendations for Melbourne (as well as Sydney), I was just hoping to get a few more opinions with this posting so I can decide on which quarantine station to send him too. Please don't be concerned by this - I am sure they are both good and both look after animals in their care well

Thanks for responding. Now that I know that we'll make sure that we visit our dog regularly so she can get a walk/have a run around. We were thinking of leaving her for the 30 days rather than popping in to see her as it would be distressing for her and us. But now I know this we'll deal with the distress if only to let her stretch her legs.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:09 am
Just Joined

No problem - does anyone else have any comments as regards Melbourne or Sydney quarantine facilities?

TIA
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

Our dog is currently in Melbourne but gets released this Saturday. We chose Melbourne rather thn Sydney as it appeared easier to get to from the city by public transport and sounded nicer on the phone. Obviously can't comment on reality of Sydney but Melbourne's staff seem v. friendly and competent. The issue is that they just aren't great places generally. Our dog had never been kennelled and so it was a shock to us the size of the runs etc. Furthermore there has been kennell cough for the last 4-5 weeks and so NO exercise has been allowed for any dogs. We have visited many times (above the prescribed limit of 2 x a week) and feel it has been beneficial. I don't believe either will exercise your dog on your behalf (just too many).

When you do visit be prepared for the noise and the shock -you can spot a first time visitor a mile off. That said dogs are hardy and ours will soon be on the beech in Queensland.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your comments. It's certainly put my mind at ease - I know it's not going to be a palace but as long as I know the staff are caring and do their best for the dogs in their care.
We originally adopted Hervey from a rescue kennels and I remember the noise then, so I've got an idea what to expect (but on a much larger scale!!)
We are nearer Melbourne (about 3 hours away) than Sydney (about 7 hours away) so it makes sense for him to come to Melbourne really - I just want to make sure he's in the best possible hands I suppose - but like you say, with quarantine I think they're all much of a muchness.
Anyway, you must be very excited about picking your dog up on Saturday. Hope everything goes well. Thanks again for the info.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the differences in the descriptions on this government link, Melbourne sounds better to me. The dog can arrive at any time at Melbourne and visiting hours are more and every day at Melbourne. All in all from these reports Melbourne sounds better.

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...9A2CA3B13296C8
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link for Melbourne - very useful