Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne v Adelaide

Melbourne v Adelaide

Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice
Default Melbourne v Adelaide

How would you rate these two for jobs, schools, climate, general ambience?
Going for 3 weeks in July for a recce but would be nice to have some first hand info before we go
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

datacentre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne v Adelaide

Originally Posted by djfbug
Going for 3 weeks in July for a recce but would be nice to have some first hand info before we go
Where are you moving FROM? Would help anyone who comments on this thread.

Adelaide is really small and very quiet - compared with London. My sister-in-law picked us up at the airport and, driving out of the car park exclaimed that there was a traffic jam ahead. There were four cars q'ing to get out of the airport car park and she was getting stressed about the traffic!

Lovely countryside near Adelaide, laid back lifestyle, free (and good quality) tennis courts in public parks, good wine country.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by datacentre
Where are you moving FROM? Would help anyone who comments on this thread.

Adelaide is really small and very quiet - compared with London. My sister-in-law picked us up at the airport and, driving out of the car park exclaimed that there was a traffic jam ahead. There were four cars q'ing to get out of the airport car park and she was getting stressed about the traffic!

Lovely countryside near Adelaide, laid back lifestyle, free (and good quality) tennis courts in public parks, good wine country.
Moving from small town in Northern England pop 11,000
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Melbourne has a lot more going on by far.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 29palms
Melbourne has a lot more going on by far.
Well it does and it doesn't.. It depends on what you're looking for.

Melbourne is a busy metropolis with busy nightlife, shopping, restaurants and a very handy transport system to get around (trams) plus it's all on a grid system so easy to work out. It's called 'The second largest Greek city in the world' and because of that, there is a large greek influence in cafes and restaurants. I found it to be very child friendly when eating out. It's busy, bustling and interesting with lots to do...

Adelaide is more of a sprawling countrified type of city. It isn't a convict settled City, as Melbourne, being more intended for settlers. Hence it was built at the bottom of a range of hills next to a river, which the settlers agreed was a wonderful place. It's well planned, with wide open green spaces within the city, so it never actually feels like you're in a city as such. If you want nightlife, coffee places, shopping etc, then Adelaide has this too, but it just has a more laid back feel to it.
Melbourne is wonderful, but so is Adelaide. The Aus gvt is trying to encourage more young people into Adelaide as it's got itself a bit of a reputation (incorrectly I might add) as a bit of a retirement place... You need less points to go to Adelaide right now,,.,, The countryside is beautiful, the wildlife is right there and it's great wine country as is already mentioned.
I'm settling in the Blue mountains where I have family, but if I had my choice, I'd go to Adelaide. It's beautiful and charming, with a laid back big country appeal and for all of it's city excitement, it's lost none of it's smaller community feel.
Melbourne is compact and city like... Adelaide is more spread out and doesn't feel like a city.
As for climate, I'd choose Adelaide over Melbourne. It's drier and fresher in A. M gets much more rain and hence gets horribly muggy.

I don't know about work having never worked there, nor schools, but I am sure someone else can tell you.

Let us know what you think once you've been. I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Last edited by iPom; Mar 13th 2006 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

I don't know anything from visiting but what what I read from the victoria government websites about Melbourne, it seems to have a big traffic problem. I have visions of Rush hour on M25 but in Aus. I hope its not true.
They have parking levys, speed cameras and traffic calming, which are some of things I want to get away from in the UK because they really pee me off!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:11 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I don't know anything from visiting but what what I read from the victoria government websites about Melbourne, it seems to have a big traffic problem. I have visions of Rush hour on M25 but in Aus. I hope its not true.
They have parking levys, speed cameras and traffic calming, which are some of things I want to get away from in the UK because they really pee me off!
Its a city of 4 million and they love their cars here so do the arithmetic lol we get traffic congestion in perth at times, with only 1/3 the pop.

More I read of your posts the more I think regional oz or tassie might suit you better. What line of work are you in?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:31 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

When I was out a few weeks back, I did also notice the camera's etc etc, but I also noticed the more laid back attitiude on the road. It took me a few days to get used to it, but nobody is in a hurry.

It's brilliant. Ok, the traffic lights take a week to change. Read a book then.

Everybody drives at 98km when the limit is 100 (except the trucks, they drive 120) then buy a car with cruise control.
Yes Melbourne is a busy fairly congested city (in the centre) but Melbourne is big. Look at a map,and you will see what I mean. I have been offered a job in Monbulk which is almost 1 hour from the centre of Melbourne. It's almost like being in the middle nowhere, but 15/20 minutes brings you back into the hub of things.

I can't comment on Perth because I haven't looked at that as an option for me, but everything in Oz is big and spread out. Look at what you want, where the work is, and you will be spoilt for choice i'm sure.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
When I was out a few weeks back, I did also notice the camera's etc etc, but I also noticed the more laid back attitiude on the road. It took me a few days to get used to it, but nobody is in a hurry.

It's brilliant. Ok, the traffic lights take a week to change. Read a book then.

Everybody drives at 98km when the limit is 100 (except the trucks, they drive 120) then buy a car with cruise control.
Yes Melbourne is a busy fairly congested city (in the centre) but Melbourne is big. Look at a map,and you will see what I mean. I have been offered a job in Monbulk which is almost 1 hour from the centre of Melbourne. It's almost like being in the middle nowhere, but 15/20 minutes brings you back into the hub of things.

I can't comment on Perth because I haven't looked at that as an option for me, but everything in Oz is big and spread out. Look at what you want, where the work is, and you will be spoilt for choice i'm sure.
I take it that you are into Flowers!

I live just down the road from Monbulk and my best friends are Dutch.. they came here last year. If you need any info give us a shout.

As for Melb vers Adelaide..
I am a rural girl (and loving living in the hills). I went to Adelaide for a week's holiday and was bored stupid.. Yes the weather is a little better but there is no buzz or atmosphere that you get in the Melb CBD! plus there isn't the parks, lakes and sport from what I could tell. Melbourne does have it all and best of all it is fairly central so travel is easy. I think that I would be feeling very isolated in Adelaide.

For me Melbourne has the lot.. it has rural within CBD commute. Space, Mountains, nightlife in different subs but great in the CBD, sport of all types ( including skiing) and seasons... yes sometimes the weather isn't as great as Adelaide but this summer has been excellent and like a lot of people Autumn and Winter will be welcome with open arms now! I can't wait to get wrapped up. I think that we have had the better Summer out of all the States!!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Its a city of 4 million and they love their cars here so do the arithmetic lol we get traffic congestion in perth at times, with only 1/3 the pop.

More I read of your posts the more I think regional oz or tassie might suit you better. What line of work are you in?
Electronics Engineer. I basically repair circuit boards. I'm used to a relatively jam free city where I live here. Its a new city (population 250,000) built in the 70's and still being finished now, has well designed grid roads and plenty of dual carriageways. It has to be the UK's best place for getting about quickly and easily. I live in a 'suburb' just outside the city centre, close enough to get to the big shops in 5 minutes though. Ideally thats the type of surroundings I would be looking for in Aus. When you say regional Oz do you mean not in a big city like Melbourne?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:34 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by djfbug
Hi

I live in Adelaide, but just back from a weekend in Melbourne & LUVVD it.. there is a PULSE.. which Adelaide generally hasnt got

It all depends on what your used to. I lived in Glasgow city centre, worked in other various UK cities...I luvv city life. Adelaide is NICE.. but i struggle with it sometimes. It is very laid back, and probably best for families with young kids.

In saying that.. at the moment our first home in Adelaide is on 1/4 acre plot, 10 mins from the hills, 10 mins from the beach and 30 mins drive into town.. I dont think we'd be able to have that in Melbourne ( if so...i'll be there in a shot haha)

Not sure about the weather, coz everyone says Melbourne is colder, but im not that impressed with the weather in AD, so it cant be much worse that here??

Good luck, its all different, enjoy your reccie..

Karen
Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

When you say regional Oz do you mean not in a big city like Melbourne?
Firstly you do need to do a bit of research I think about where opportunities to work in your field are located (probably in major cities but some may also exist in other areas)

By regional I don't mean outback or farming areas. I mean reasonably large secondary (ie bendigo, ballarat, geelong in victoria) or smaller principal cities ( ie Hobart, Launceston in Tasmania or Darwin in NT or Canberra in ACT).

Check out this site as you may find some info that will help you find where the jobs demand in your field are located.

http://jobsearch.gov.au

Hope that helps
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:37 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I take it that you are into Flowers!

I live just down the road from Monbulk and my best friends are Dutch.. they came here last year. If you need any info give us a shout.
Good guess.

i'll be in touch. I was in Monbulk a couple of times in Feb looking around, and it would be handy to find out a bit more about Monbulk and surrounding areas.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Good guess.

i'll be in touch. I was in Monbulk a couple of times in Feb looking around, and it would be handy to find out a bit more about Monbulk and surrounding areas.
Drop me a pm anytime.
I love it up here and I have tried and tested most of the local pubs

I know that my friends hubby would like to have a male companion of his native tongue, I think that he has been a bit homesick of late. He could sure help you in your line of work anyway.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Drop me a pm anytime.
I love it up here and I have tried and tested most of the local pubs

And local BBQs & of course your love of BBq'd fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.