The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old May 2nd 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by lor
You banging on about the Basin again!!!
lor dunno about you, but i'm becoming suspicious about all this hype about the basin
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
lor dunno about you, but i'm becoming suspicious about all this hype about the basin
We own it
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:51 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shannon9
DO YOU LIVE IN BERWICK? IF SO WHAT KIND O AREA IS IT. HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CHASE IT LOOKS VERY NICE ON THE WEB. I ALSO HOPE TO MOVE TO BERWICK. IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON IT CAN YOU PLEASE COME BACK TO ME. THANKS
We're building on the Chase, as soon as the lands realised.

Here's a couple of pics of our land and its surrounds.Lor XX
Attached Thumbnails The Melbourne thread-hpim2128.jpg   The Melbourne thread-hpim2134.jpg   The Melbourne thread-hpim2136.jpg   The Melbourne thread-image005-5-.jpg   The Melbourne thread-image012-5-.jpg  

Old May 2nd 2008, 12:54 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
LOl, think the strippers went to her head!!
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NatD1978
Hi All - just posted a thread with regards to moving to Oz (we've just started to look into it) and having spoken to friends who are already in Melbourne, and think this sounds like our type of place!

We are hoping to have a Reccie out there in February.

I am just married, we are a young professional couple, but are planning to have a Baby within the next year to take with us.

Also in tow will be Hugo the Boxer.

Looking at an area Map, St Kitts and that area looks great, but again, we don't really know to much until we get out there.

Mr Anderson - I notice you have built / are getting built you own home. We looked into that in the UK, but land prices were just too much.

Any chance you can send me a PM to discuss or post information on here, as at the moment I am unable to send any messages!!!!!

Would be interested to hear peoples stories - good and bad!
All i know so far mate, is this

you go to a land office and buy the land which is suitable for the area you want to be in. Point cook was our most suitable area as its closest to the beach,city and williamstown. You may weant to tally different so do your own reasearch there as we drove around the whols of melbourne and did extensive research and what i may like you may hate

Ansd then we went around about 70 show homes all over the state every weekend here there and bloody everywhere looking for the right house

We wentr in and bought thge land in an evening with a 10% deposit and the rest to follow when the title is released in feb 09

Then we went in and bought the house we like d the best, 1500 dollar deposit
with i think 5% of cost of house on signing of contract then staged payments therein on comkpletion of various stages

We went with simonds as we found the house we like d the best and luckily hopefully, they had a good name and had the best show houses too.

Personally, id like to live in elwood,a leafy suburb by the beach and st kilda and 2 mins from my shop in a little edwardian cottage but i aint got a million and a half for a shed!

Basically we bought the best house and aland package e could afford mortgage free mall coming in at approx 400,000 turn key, landscasped fenced, with drive, air con 4 bed, 2 bath and a double eleccy garage( i love eleccy garages with a motorbike) Carpeted, tiled and ready to move furniture in. The land price has gone up 20k in 6 months too and the land is worth more than the houses on them now!

its pretty easy to doi if you dont have to arrange finance. We were lucky in that respect.

We have had to make a sacrifice of being further out from the city in an area we both wouldnt normally pick (as we are both foodies,drinkers and good time lovers,love an old house with character ) and we have ended up in brand new purpose buoilt suburbia, purely because we dont want to bust our balls on a 10% mortgage of double what we have in the bank just to live in the thick of it, as we probably wouldnt have tohe time to enjoy it as we would be busy trying to pay the bloody mortgage off.

Hopefully we can have a good life/work balance this way and its only 15-20 mins drive to these places.

like i say, everyone is different. If it were solely up to me, id keep the money in the bank and rent in elwood and live off the interest in our 8% bank accounts bringing in about 30k a year without working.

But the capital always get eaten in to and we wouldnt be asable top afford even our new house in a year or so.

We looked at buying in Altona 6 months ago. It was easily in our price braCKET BY 100K, 6 months on its not, its over our budget for old granny houses needin updating. Its really scary what you canbt afford now!

That was the other reason for buying new.

Good luck in your move and i hope i gave you enough info. We are just beginning.

all the best

al
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by murphy21
Hi all

We have just began process of coming to australia. We were hoping to go to SA as have family there. But nightmare don't qualify for PR (not got enough experience in occ) so have to go down provisional route, and Victoria is only state that offers sponsorship for my occupation - primary school teacher. So now deciding whether Victoria could be home for us and our 4 year old. We visited Melbourne whilst in Australia last year, stayed on the waterfront in the city and loved it, but thats a holiday. Any advice/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, X
itll be the same as your holiday, you will love it and you will be glad that you never had enough experience in occupation.

Having family here is one thing, them wanting /having time to see you is another.
My brother moved over. Ive seen him once in six months. We all have busy lives and even though i was here first and excited about him coming, i forgot he had to move over, settle in and get a job, settle in his job and look after his family as well as try and build new friendships etc etc. It made me really dissapointed at the time, but i understand now.

It depends on how close you are to your family member here, but in reality , we all have our own lives to lead and most arent that accomodating every minute of every day, not enough to warrant you moving anywhere near them in reality and for that sole reason. Like i say, depends hopw close you are.

If its your mums aunt you knew as a kids then id think twice, everyones different tho

Besides, melbourne is fantastic. It has it all and the weather is like northern spain, just right

al

Last edited by Mr Anderson; May 2nd 2008 at 2:25 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mr Anderson, info much appreciated!
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

murphy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
itll be the same as your holiday, you will love it and you will be glad that you never had enough experience in occupation.

Having family here is one thing, them wanting /having time to see you is another.
My brother moved over. Ive seen him once in six months. We all have busy lives and even though i was here first and excited about him coming, i forgot he had to move over, settle in and get a job, settle in his job and look after his family as well as try and build new friendships etc etc. It made me really dissapointed at the time, but i understand now.

It depends on how close you are to your family member here, but in reality , we all have our own lives to lead and most arent that accomodating every minute of every day, not enough to warrant you moving anywhere near them in reality and for that sole reason. Like i say, depends hopw close you are.

If its your mums aunt you knew as a kids then id think twice, everyones different tho

Besides, melbourne is fantastic. It has it all and the weather is like northern spain, just right

al
Thanks for replying Mr A.

Head is a little battered at the moment.

Any areas you would look advise to avoid when I am searching for places to rent/live???
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor
We're building on the Chase, as soon as the lands realised.

Here's a couple of pics of our land and its surrounds.Lor XX
Are you getting excited yet At least they've left some trees up on this development - makes all the difference
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lor
LOl, think the strippers went to her head!!
Says she, posting pics of horses willies
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:08 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Crow
Says she, posting pics of horses willies
Horses willies some how still appear more natural than that of that Basin stripper!! Hee Hee

Last edited by lor; May 3rd 2008 at 3:42 pm.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by murphy21
Thanks for replying Mr A.

Head is a little battered at the moment.

Any areas you would look advise to avoid when I am searching for places to rent/live???
Depends on what your level of rough/dodgy is

If you have lived in moss side all your life then everywhere will seem posh!

Id say everywhere is fine to live. The roughest moswt on the tv sort of area is dandenong and somewhere else up towards the airport way but in general, no not rough, not england rough

come and have a look at it yourself

there are studenty areas, leafy suburbs, beach suburbs, trendy, brand new, old and cutecottages, high rise loft style, you name it its here.

If you know what sort of area you would like to live in(as much detail as possible as in likes and dislikes) and we should find an area to suit. Most important here is budget, put what you cans tretch to too.

al
Old May 11th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
All i know so far mate, is this

you go to a land office and buy the land which is suitable for the area you want to be in. Point cook was our most suitable area as its closest to the beach,city and williamstown. You may weant to tally different so do your own reasearch there as we drove around the whols of melbourne and did extensive research and what i may like you may hate

Ansd then we went around about 70 show homes all over the state every weekend here there and bloody everywhere looking for the right house

We wentr in and bought thge land in an evening with a 10% deposit and the rest to follow when the title is released in feb 09

Then we went in and bought the house we like d the best, 1500 dollar deposit
with i think 5% of cost of house on signing of contract then staged payments therein on comkpletion of various stages

We went with simonds as we found the house we like d the best and luckily hopefully, they had a good name and had the best show houses too.

Personally, id like to live in elwood,a leafy suburb by the beach and st kilda and 2 mins from my shop in a little edwardian cottage but i aint got a million and a half for a shed!

Basically we bought the best house and aland package e could afford mortgage free mall coming in at approx 400,000 turn key, landscasped fenced, with drive, air con 4 bed, 2 bath and a double eleccy garage( i love eleccy garages with a motorbike) Carpeted, tiled and ready to move furniture in. The land price has gone up 20k in 6 months too and the land is worth more than the houses on them now!

its pretty easy to doi if you dont have to arrange finance. We were lucky in that respect.

We have had to make a sacrifice of being further out from the city in an area we both wouldnt normally pick (as we are both foodies,drinkers and good time lovers,love an old house with character ) and we have ended up in brand new purpose buoilt suburbia, purely because we dont want to bust our balls on a 10% mortgage of double what we have in the bank just to live in the thick of it, as we probably wouldnt have tohe time to enjoy it as we would be busy trying to pay the bloody mortgage off.

Hopefully we can have a good life/work balance this way and its only 15-20 mins drive to these places.

like i say, everyone is different. If it were solely up to me, id keep the money in the bank and rent in elwood and live off the interest in our 8% bank accounts bringing in about 30k a year without working.

But the capital always get eaten in to and we wouldnt be asable top afford even our new house in a year or so.

We looked at buying in Altona 6 months ago. It was easily in our price braCKET BY 100K, 6 months on its not, its over our budget for old granny houses needin updating. Its really scary what you canbt afford now!

That was the other reason for buying new.

Good luck in your move and i hope i gave you enough info. We are just beginning.

all the best

al
6 weeks in and we have spent all our time 1st looking for work, 2nd working and all other time house hunting. Have had 4 weekends of it now and its doing my head in.
You really don't get much for your money in the nice areas - even the dumps are expensive so couldn't afford to actually do them up afterwards.
I think we are going to downsize so we get a place in the right area. Going to get a small place with big land so we can grow into it later.
Fingers crossed. GL
Old May 11th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve_uk
6 weeks in and we have spent all our time 1st looking for work, 2nd working and all other time house hunting. Have had 4 weekends of it now and its doing my head in.
You really don't get much for your money in the nice areas - even the dumps are expensive so couldn't afford to actually do them up afterwards.
I think we are going to downsize so we get a place in the right area. Going to get a small place with big land so we can grow into it later.
Fingers crossed. GL

thatll be the countryside then. good luck

al
Old May 11th 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Fingers crossed. GL

in my experience its all about the land, aussies dont really give a stuff about the house its the size of the block its on, for example a house near us, looks like a static caravan (and an old one at that , lol), but its on a corner plot and a good size, has just sold (before auction), for $520,000

Lots of people are afer decent size blocks just now, to knock down the house (regardless of what its like), and build units on,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.