Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:33 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

We're in Melbourne and love it. We'd never been to Oz before we came to live here in November last year but we researched carefully beforehand. We dismissed Perth as thought it would be too hot (my mum is from Perth so do know a bit about it). Also not that much to do there other than beautiful beaches, it seems quite isolated. Having read the moving back to the UK forum I'm glad we didn't choose Perth! We thought Sydney would be too expensive. Also we have some family here in Melbourne (my OH's sister) so we thought it would be the best option.

I'm loving it, the scenery (we're not too far from the Dandenong Ranges which are beautiful), the CBD and everything else. The beaches aren't amazing like the ones in WA (from what I can tell by pictures) but they're ok. I like the climate too though it can be quite changeable just in one day. But I like the fact that when it gets very hot you can kind of ride it out as it soon gets cooler again after a few days. We have 2 children (aged 6 & nearly 4) and there's loads for them to do.

It has it's bad points at all but so far we feel very 'at home' here
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
Just to go against the trend...we are in Perth (been here two years) and will be heading to Melbourne in April!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We have been here 8 years come July. We live at the bottom of the Dandenong Ranges in a place called Ferntree Gully.

Melbourne doesn't have the wow factor Sydney has but it soon grows on you. Ive been to a few Aussie cities in my time here & although all very nice its always a pleasure to come back home to the best city in Australia.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:19 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Melbourne is our home. Been here for 3.5 years now, never had a regret or a days homesickness (except for when I've been on holiday in other states and after a week want to get home to Melbourne!).

Sorry what was the original question?

Good - it works for us and you can only live for yourself. Lived for a few months in Sydney and Suburbs, visited Perth, Canberra, Queensland: Whitsundays, Cairns and Beaches Mission Beach/ Dunk Island.

Kids can be kids, or certainly where we live, they seem to have a lot of the innocence for longer, I don't feel threatened when walking towards a group of teenagers, my parents in the UK get rocks thrown at them on a regular basis when they are playing bowls and they are in their 70's - know this doesn't happen everywhere but OP asked for our opinion.

We prefer the weather to UK and any other state we have visited- happy to visit other places every few years to get a bit more sun in winter as we have great weather the other 75% of the year.

Bad - Banks are appalling. Family and friends aren't here.

LJJ
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

A few reasons to live in Melbourne.

i. There's a famous quote which goes something like:

"Sydney is the girl you date at High school, Melbourne is the beautiful girl you marry and think 'Christ! I'm glad I didn't have any kids with the other one'."

(It's actually 'Sydney is the girl you date, Melbourne is the girl you marry' but I thought everyone else would jump on me and say 'she's ugly though!')

ii. Sydney, Perth and Brissy have a wow factor. Melbourne may not go 'wow' on a bad day in winter, but then its the only city in Australia to keep growing on you the longer you stay - it's like a vintage bottle of red. The other cities is what you see on Day 1 is what you get on Day 1254.

iii. It has actually reasonable salaries, reasonable (compared with Perth and Sydney) house prices and you can have city living, and country/hills living within 40mins of each other - or bayside living for that matter.

iv. It's also I reckon got good old Aussie living but less rednecks.

v. Weather is bang on for most of the year. Pleasant spring and autumn, 4 seasons is complete rubbish - long hot summer with changes, and a short winter perfect for getting the old wood burner on for that old Pommy lifestyle.

vi. VIC it seems is the 'sensible' state.

vii. Everyone I know overseas seems to think it is the 'place' to live in Australia - and they haven't even been here. Yes I know....................

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 20th 2007 at 6:01 am.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:25 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Its Melb for us aswell hopefully
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Been here for nearly a year now and we like it.

Ive had promotion at work, getting our own house built, kids are settled in school / kinder, beaches are great, and the wife is happy

Just off soccer training down the beach...should be ok as its cooled to 26 degrees

Get on the Britvics site for more info.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret, Mount waverley is very nice, schools close by railway & bus service to you can commute to the city.

we live in rowville 20 mins drive from mount waverley, we have been here now for 10 years and love the place, we like the change of the 4 seasons its hot in summer but as i say in melb you get the change.

I suppose all other states in austarlia have there attractions as you say Perth seems to attract a lot of Brits, as does the gold coast, melbourne is ideal for us.

you will love the parks in melbourne & the food variety is fantastic.

regards

arthur from melbourne
ex blackburn lancashire
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here just over 2 years now and love Melbourne! I've just gone back to work part-time, and we're in the process of building a new house! We're in the north-east suburbs.

Pootle
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

We are heading to Melbourne also! I grew up there from age 6 - after my parents made the move from England. After year 12 I came back to England about 81/2 years ago - with the idea to travel the world, but met a guy, who is now my husband! We now have a 4 year old son, & we heard back a couple of weeks ago that his spouses visa was accepted. His deadline is 31 May !!! 'Just' have the small task of selling our house in that time, & we're off!

It will be easier for me than it will be for others I admit - as I have my parents, sister & BIL already there. But believe me, I am starting to get really nervous about the move, afterall, I have lived my 'adult' life here so far!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:29 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

The reason I chose Melbourne over Perth was that there seemed to be a great deal of happier and contented expats living in Melbourne with more positive things to say about their chosen destination and to date Ive hardly read a bad word said about the place - as apposed to reading about lots of unhappy people who didnt research beyond the Western shores of Oz.

Im hoping to arrive in June Get the flags out!

Diane
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:46 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dianej
The reason I chose Melbourne over Perth was that there seemed to be a great deal of happier and contented expats living in Melbourne with more positive things to say about their chosen destination and to date Ive hardly read a bad word said about the place - as apposed to reading about lots of unhappy people who didnt research beyond the Western shores of Oz.

Im hoping to arrive in June Get the flags out!

Diane
Wow Can I ask what visa you're going on ???? that got done mighty quick???

Jen
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen
Wow Can I ask what visa you're going on ???? that got done mighty quick???

Jen
BN134 Skill Matching

Not many go on this but its the quickest route if youv'e not enough points for the 136.

Can give you more info if you'd like?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

hello,

We are hoping to go to Melbourne too. hopefully in the summer. Both of us are nurses and hubby has applied for a job at the Frankston Hospital so we are looking at the Mount Eliza, Mount Martha areas to live. We've never been to Melbourne before but were in Perth about 12 years ago for 8 months and weren't keen to go back there again.

Melbourne looks lovely from what I've seen and the locals seem friendly too!

Karen
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:20 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dianej
BN134 Skill Matching

Not many go on this but its the quickest route if youv'e not enough points for the 136.

Can give you more info if you'd like?
OH new employer in Australia is sposnoring us on an ENS 121.
Still haven't even had confirmation that the application was received and it went in on the 29th should have been received by 30 - 31st January.

Jen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.