Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it. We don't have to validate until the 21st Jan so think we'll leave it as late as possible so we don't have to "hang around" too long.

Great to know it fires back up quickly in Feb though.

Carolyn, any comments on Doreen? I see your in the NE suburbs, where abouts (if you don't mind me asking)?

Anyone able to offer any advice on Yarrambat primary school? I've heard its quite a good school. We have two boys and the eldest will start school end of Jan so hoping to speak to a few schools before we get there.

Thanks again everybody.

Colin
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi Colin

I've never been to Doreen though I made a couple of enquiries about the area six months ago. A real estate agent whose daughter lived there told me it was very new so schools and transport systems were still under development but that it was a nice area.

Apart from that Domain have a suburb profile on it as follows:

http://www.domain.com.au/public/subu...arch#mapanchor

We live in Donvale which is probably the same distance away from Eltham in the opposite direction. We're less than 5 minutes from the end of Eastlink and the Eastern Freeway and absolutely love it.

Click on the link under my signature if you'd like to find out more about the place.

Check on melways on line and you'll get maps that'll show you the area.

I've no connections over near Doreen and I've done a search and no-ones previously discussed it so can't comment on Yarrambat without a bit of research - sorry. It may be worth you opening a thread with the school name as a title as many people may not check out a general melbourne thread of hundreds of pages while they may notice a reference to something they recognise.

Hope this helps and good luck with all your plans

Carolyn

Carolyn
Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it. We don't have to validate until the 21st Jan so think we'll leave it as late as possible so we don't have to "hang around" too long.

Great to know it fires back up quickly in Feb though.

Carolyn, any comments on Doreen? I see your in the NE suburbs, where abouts (if you don't mind me asking)?

Anyone able to offer any advice on Yarrambat primary school? I've heard its quite a good school. We have two boys and the eldest will start school end of Jan so hoping to speak to a few schools before we get there.

Thanks again everybody.

Colin
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Originally Posted by flip
Hi Colin

I've never been to Doreen though I made a couple of enquiries about the area six months ago. A real estate agent whose daughter lived there told me it was very new so schools and transport systems were still under development but that it was a nice area.

Apart from that Domain have a suburb profile on it as follows:

http://www.domain.com.au/public/subu...arch#mapanchor

We live in Donvale which is probably the same distance away from Eltham in the opposite direction. We're less than 5 minutes from the end of Eastlink and the Eastern Freeway and absolutely love it.

Click on the link under my signature if you'd like to find out more about the place.

Check on melways on line and you'll get maps that'll show you the area.

I've no connections over near Doreen and I've done a search and no-ones previously discussed it so can't comment on Yarrambat without a bit of research - sorry. It may be worth you opening a thread with the school name as a title as many people may not check out a general melbourne thread of hundreds of pages while they may notice a reference to something they recognise.

Hope this helps and good luck with all your plans

Carolyn

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

My Dad is currently speaking to a few of his neighbours whose kids go to Yarrambat to find out what they think. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'll post the thread. Yes, Doreen is still 'under construction' the shopping centre and local school are due to open January 09, just not sure if we should be going to the new school or a more established one that comes with recommendations.

Thanks again,

Colin
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi Carolyn,

My Dad is currently speaking to a few of his neighbours whose kids go to Yarrambat to find out what they think. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'll post the thread. Yes, Doreen is still 'under construction' the shopping centre and local school are due to open January 09, just not sure if we should be going to the new school or a more established one that comes with recommendations.

Thanks again,

Colin
Colin, if you don't mind, would you post the comments that come from your Dads neighbours because we'd still be interested to hear more about Doreen, it would be very close for my husband to get to work. Although we are looking more around The Basin etc at the moment.

Thanks!!
Martine
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by milliewoos
Colin, if you don't mind, would you post the comments that come from your Dads neighbours because we'd still be interested to hear more about Doreen, it would be very close for my husband to get to work. Although we are looking more around The Basin etc at the moment.

Thanks!!
Martine
Hi Martine,

Is it specifically about the schools or anything to do with Doreen? We've been looking at this area for a while so know a bit about the housing and shopping centre, etc.

Cheers,

Colin
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Colin lay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The Melbourne thread

We are a family of 4 (2 boys 14 & 17). We moved from Northants over to Perth 4 years ago, then over to Melbourne 1 year ago. Perth has a warmer climate and great beaches, but a dodgy nightlife! Melbourne has 4 proper seasons, all the music, nightlife, shopping, Art and sport you could want. Moving here from Perth was the best move we ever made and i would recomend it to anyone who doesn't mind the winter(it's nowhere nearly as bad as a uk winter) and is not too bothered about the beach.Check out the great ocean road (Torquay) for world class surfing ect, only about 1 hour drive from melbourne.. Dining out is cheap and easy, but beer is more expensive than UK(around $8 a pint). Getting around is cheap and easy, $6 gets you on the tram and train all day. I was totally homesick for the uk until moving to Melbourne. It has loads to offer for everyone!! I read lots of peoples bad experiences on this site and would like to point out to those of you waiting to come over that most of us love it here and wouldn't move back for the world.. Colin, Preston...BritVic and proud of it!!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Colin, Melbourne is so different to the other places in Aus and has something for everyone.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Colin lay
We are a family of 4 (2 boys 14 & 17). We moved from Northants over to Perth 4 years ago, then over to Melbourne 1 year ago. Perth has a warmer climate and great beaches, but a dodgy nightlife! Melbourne has 4 proper seasons, all the music, nightlife, shopping, Art and sport you could want. Moving here from Perth was the best move we ever made and i would recomend it to anyone who doesn't mind the winter(it's nowhere nearly as bad as a uk winter) and is not too bothered about the beach.Check out the great ocean road (Torquay) for world class surfing ect, only about 1 hour drive from melbourne.. Dining out is cheap and easy, but beer is more expensive than UK(around $8 a pint). Getting around is cheap and easy, $6 gets you on the tram and train all day. I was totally homesick for the uk until moving to Melbourne. It has loads to offer for everyone!! I read lots of peoples bad experiences on this site and would like to point out to those of you waiting to come over that most of us love it here and wouldn't move back for the world.. Colin, Preston...BritVic and proud of it!!
SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh..keep it quiet!

We can only agree. After living in Sydney (twice), Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra..and a few places in between, we are now well settled with Melbourne as our Australian home.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:56 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Well said Colin, Melbourne is so different to the other places in Aus and has something for everyone.
Another vote from us to back that up
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:22 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Get ready for a tough week - El SCORCHIO !

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587112
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Another vote from us to back that up
Yes Melbourne is the place to be. We moved 3 years ago from Scotland and I was very homesick until we bought here in Williamstown, a very pretty place to live and only 25 mins from the city.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi...We lived in Perth for 3 years and still wonder why it's so popular! Came over to Melbourne on holiday about 2 years ago and couldnt wait to sell up and move over. We miss the quartely trip to the beach and the quiet roads and the sunshine, but Melbourne is a fantastic city to live in.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 1:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Colin lay
Hi...We lived in Perth for 3 years and still wonder why it's so popular! Came over to Melbourne on holiday about 2 years ago and couldnt wait to sell up and move over. We miss the quartely trip to the beach and the quiet roads and the sunshine, but Melbourne is a fantastic city to live in.
err you can still go to the beach in Melbourne can't you? One of the reasons we chose Melbourne was the ease with which we could live by the beach.

Buzzy
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Oh yeah! Sorry ..i meant on the coastline..i forget people class the bay as beachside living! i got a sandpit next to my pond does that count??
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Hi All

We hope to one day be in Melbourne.

Had our visas granted in Jan 2008 and validated in Perth in July 2008 as that was originally where we wanted to head as hubby has relatives there. However, Perth really didn't do anything for us (in our opinion we found it very boring) hence the decision to go to Melbourne.

Despite never having been to Melbourne all our research and talks with people who have lived in both Perth and Melbourne has made up our minds that Victoria seems to have everything our family is looking for in a new life downunder.

I think we're going to look to live in the East, maybe out as far as the Dandegong Ranges, as we want a property with a bit of land and we have friends who live in that direction who hopefully will be able to help hubby with finding a sparks job.

If all goes to plan we hope to finally make it over to Aus this year

Great thread

Kari

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.