Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old May 17th 2008, 9:28 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by fraser
What nagiboy is trying to say is there is a forum specifically for Victoria which is http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1
Originally Posted by Nagiboy
Hi mate,

I was going for the subtle approach.

Matt
Originally Posted by fraser
So subtle no bugger had a clue what you were on about
Originally Posted by Nagiboy
I'll use the sledgehammer next time
Steady now! The warnings from the higher echelon are no doubt, winging their way to your inboxes!!!
Old May 18th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Ok we are now 6 weeks & 1 day in!

Thought I'd do a summary:

I got a temp IT job after 5 days of arriving.
The OH got a temp planning job after 12 days of arriving.
Transferred all our £'s to the Commonwealth Bank and the service they have provided has been great.
Bought a house last week and we move in 25 days time - (cant wait as am fed up of living out of suitcases). Cheltenham here we come!
Last week the OH & I got job offers where we were working as temps.
All in all its going good here.

Only downside is you dont get much for your cash anymore but we are still glad we moved.

Its a far cry from a sleepy Welsh town

PS I have a lime tree in my new garden - how good it that?? lol
Old May 18th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Congrats Steve - glad to see its going so well, sounds like you have the right attitude to make it work. Good luck with the house move.

Colin
Old May 21st 2008, 6:43 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not great news, so apologies in advance, but an accurate article I think which highlights how the Melbourne market has a very different dynamic to the others. Important to understand it if you are targeting Melbourne.

First-home buyer hopes fade
http://business.theage.com.au/firsth...0521-2gox.html

The monthly loan repayment in Melbourne jumped to $2839 in March from $2691 in December, the report said.
''In contrast to other capital cities, the Melbourne market is driven by a different dynamic,'' Real Estate Institute of Victoria president Neil Laws said.
''We have a net migration into Melbourne of about 1200 people a week. That's a couple jumbo jets of people looking for houses.''
''The simple fact is that Victorians at the moment realise they simply have to pay more for housing.''
Mr Law said renting has become more expensive with vacancy rates under 1%.
''It's almost impossible to save (for a home) when you're paying these kinds of rents (which are) up around 28-30% of disposable income,'' he said.
Old May 21st 2008, 6:52 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Ok we are now 6 weeks & 1 day in!

Thought I'd do a summary:

I got a temp IT job after 5 days of arriving.
The OH got a temp planning job after 12 days of arriving.
Transferred all our £'s to the Commonwealth Bank and the service they have provided has been great.
Bought a house last week and we move in 25 days time - (cant wait as am fed up of living out of suitcases). Cheltenham here we come!
Last week the OH & I got job offers where we were working as temps.
All in all its going good here.

Only downside is you dont get much for your cash anymore but we are still glad we moved.

Its a far cry from a sleepy Welsh town

PS I have a lime tree in my new garden - how good it that?? lol
Congratulations on the purchase - you are just up the road from us so I might be popping in for a fresh lime or two!
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Congratulations on the purchase - you are just up the road from us so I might be popping in for a fresh lime or two!
Thanks, it looks like a nice area although living close to Southland makes me nervous
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:35 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, it looks like a nice area although living close to Southland makes me nervous
You don't have to worry about Southland - it's if you lived near to Chadstone you might want to stary worrying!
Old May 24th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

You don't have to worry about Southland - it's if you lived near to Chadstone you might want to stary worrying!
Both of those places are dangerous - esp when the OH has a shoe addiction.

20 pairs and counting since Feb :-/
Old May 24th 2008, 4:33 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

have to agree, and now they are making it bigger
Old May 24th 2008, 5:41 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
have to agree, and now they are making it bigger
Been here 15 months, still not made it to Chadstone. Been to Know City lasted about 15 minutes.

....note to self, must check that I am really a woman....
Old May 24th 2008, 5:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
....note to self, must check that I am really a woman....
Note : Married men are not allowed to help check
Old May 24th 2008, 6:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Note : Married men are not allowed to help check
Darn it all to hell!
Old May 25th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

We've been here 2 weeks and got a rental 2 streets from Southland, I've only been in a couple of times!!
Old May 25th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sianystar
We've been here 2 weeks and got a rental 2 streets from Southland, I've only been in a couple of times!!

We are two streets away from Southland with family as well at the moment. Our new house will be 3 streets away so slightly safer
Old May 25th 2008, 11:45 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Southland's isn't too bad in the scheme of things

And look on the bright side. You're close to great places like, Black Rock, Hampton, Sandringham, Mordialloc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.