Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:59 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
No worries. Don't discount renting around Glen Iris/Burwood/Ashburton/Ashwood etc, while you're looking for an area you want to permanently settle

These are the areas my sister is pushing for. Is rent high in these areas do you know

and is she right in saying that most houses come unfurnished?
Cheers
Irish Gal
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:04 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
These are the areas my sister is pushing for. Is rent high in these areas do you know

Cheers
Irish Gal
The further out from the CBD you go, the cheaper the rent....generally. Some area, especially catchments for desirable schools such as Mt Waverley and Balwyn, have skyrocketed in rents and house prices. But there'll be reasonable rents for inner(ish) suburbs in these areas I'd imagine.Check out these suburbs on the real estate sites, and you may find it much cheaper to rent than to buy at the moment.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Norry_Lar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Our application was submitted in April last year unfortunately we've been held up by the bonus points of investing scam. So at the moment we don't know how long its going to be until we get the final go ahead.

However thinking positively I've been doing tons of research on suburbs and have been looking at Frankston. I've been wanting somewhere that you get more for your money but still get good amount of restaurants, near to beaches, Parks, shops, and is still lively enough. I didn't think it was too far from the CBD or the mornington (which is where my auntie is based) so thought it was a good inbetween.

Never having been there however it could be entirely different from my mind Any advice people can give would be welcome...
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

shannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
Hi,

Born and raised in melbourne living in ireland for 4 years going back at the end of this year. What do you want to know.

4 seasons in one day but not as bad as ireland or uk. i have travelled extensively around oz and melbourne is definatley the place to go.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

shannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really nice

Cheers
Irish Gal
yes rent is high in these areas and yes 99% of homes come unfurnished. However just going 10-15 minutes further out can make a big difference in rental prices. Roads into town are good (obs you have peak times) so travelling is not as bad as they say. YOu would have trams and buses in these areas to get around also.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I lived in North Melbourne for 5 months last year. Leveson St to be exact. It had a bad rep a few years ago apparently but there is a lot of renewal. Errol St is the main strip for laundry,food,library etc. The Queen Vic market was 10 mins away as well!!

It is close to CBD (20-25 min walk)and the North Melbourne rail station was 10 mins walk away.

Areas that I heard mentioned as decent places to rent were Box Hill,Balaclava,Kew but dont ask me what the rental prices were

There is a pub that I visited The Drunken Poet, 65 Peel St West Melb, and it is a home away from home for Irish & British expats who can steer people in the right direction for info on Melbourne.

Hope it helps.
Keith
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Originally Posted by posh10
hi everyone

we are heading to mornington in may, just got visa grant today. its gr8. anyone going to mornington area kep in touch, can meet for nights out or in as they do in oz.

Diane

Hi Posh,

We too are hoping to move to Mornington as soon as house is sold!!! Would be great to know someone already there! Are you moving out with your family? Congrats on your visa - its a fantastic feeling!

Ange x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MillsyandtheTroop
Hi Posh,

We too are hoping to move to Mornington as soon as house is sold!!! Would be great to know someone already there! Are you moving out with your family? Congrats on your visa - its a fantastic feeling!

Ange x
Hi Ange

yes me oh and our boy hoping to move early may. Visa is a gr8 feeling just waiting on approval letter then it will more real collecting it tomo so can then send my passports off to get it stamped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then its party this weekend !!!!!

Diane.

Oh Frankston area some areas nice some not as nice, my m8 lives in mornington. i think frankston south is nice.

Diane xx
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:43 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
The further out from the CBD you go, the cheaper the rent....generally. Some area, especially catchments for desirable schools such as Mt Waverley and Balwyn, have skyrocketed in rents and house prices. But there'll be reasonable rents for inner(ish) suburbs in these areas I'd imagine.Check out these suburbs on the real estate sites, and you may find it much cheaper to rent than to buy at the moment.

And Glen Waverley carl, just had 30 bucks per week slammed onto our rent
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Cheers
Irish Gal

Do you have kids Irish Gal, if so , this was how we decided where to live, we researched the 'good state schools' and are happy with our choice of schools in glen waverley, however am not to fond of the suburb, but we are here until teen finishes vce

There was an interesting article in a the age not long ago titled 'Home is where the school is', how true for us, lol

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 12th 2008 at 5:50 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:05 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Do you have kids Irish Gal, if so , this was how we decided where to live, we researched the 'good state schools' and are happy with our choice of schools in glen waverley, however am not to fond of the suburb, but we are here until teen finishes vce

There was an interesting article in a the age not long ago titled 'Home is where the school is', how true for us, lol

Yes, we have three kids. I had heard Glen Waverley was one of the top areas for schools but the property prices there have gone through the roof.

We are aiming to settle in a more affordable area (rent for a year) so that when we DO buy, it won't be such a big upheaval for the kids - again!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

hi, hoping someone can help me?

we have our 175 visas and just got the house to sell (just)! initially we were thinking of melbourne but then oh had friends from perth who persuaded him to look at perth, so we did a reccie last feb. although we liked it i keep thinking the children would have more to do in melbourne than perth (they are 16 and 14 and do not want to move)!

what will sway our decision will be the affordability of a house within a reasonable commuting distance for oh, he works in it so will work in the cbd.

basically is there anywhere in melbourne for family quite near to the coast with a max of 45 mins commute or is this just a dream? (not a rough area please) liked the sound of mornington but seems this is too far

any advice appreciated
vicky
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyandrob
hi, hoping someone can help me?

we have our 175 visas and just got the house to sell (just)! initially we were thinking of melbourne but then oh had friends from perth who persuaded him to look at perth, so we did a reccie last feb. although we liked it i keep thinking the children would have more to do in melbourne than perth (they are 16 and 14 and do not want to move)!

what will sway our decision will be the affordability of a house within a reasonable commuting distance for oh, he works in it so will work in the cbd.

basically is there anywhere in melbourne for family quite near to the coast with a max of 45 mins commute or is this just a dream? (not a rough area please) liked the sound of mornington but seems this is too far

any advice appreciated
vicky
Vicky, what's your budget? You can get a 3 bed house where we live in Mordialloc for 500k, within the 45 min commute, walking distance to the beach.

Buzzy
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Vicky, what's your budget? You can get a 3 bed house where we live in Mordialloc for 500k, within the 45 min commute, walking distance to the beach.

Buzzy
sorry forgot that important info, max 600,000, would prefer 4 bed as also have a 2 year old, but the 2 girls could share if it comes to getting them all settled and not wanting to come home!

thanks for your reply, will look in more detail at this area
vicky
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Yes, we have three kids. I had heard Glen Waverley was one of the top areas for schools but the property prices there have gone through the roof.

We are aiming to settle in a more affordable area (rent for a year) so that when we DO buy, it won't be such a big upheaval for the kids - again!
we cant afford a house anywhere, so we can stay anywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.