Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:43 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Hi guys can I get in on this thread I'm hoping to move to Melb sometime next year (as soon as poss after visa grant god willing) and be nice to get to know some people already there for when I move.
is there anything good happening for new year this year as I'm gonna be there for a month in about a weeks time for a bit of a reccie
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [MELBOURNE] Modern movers heading downtown, or up north

Originally Posted by @boy
Modern movers heading downtown, or up north
The Age
November 12, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...766508125.html

MORE than 7000 people moved to the inner city in the year to June 2006, which means the "downtown" residential area is growing as fast as some of Melbourne's booming outer suburbs, according to a report released today.

The report also said Melbourne is attracting twice the population growth of Sydney, and that most of the fastest-growing towns in Australia are on the Queensland coast.

KPMG demographer Bernard Salt compiled the Population Growth Report 2007 from data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in October and from the US and New Zealand.

Mr Salt told The Age that the downtown boom is of a similar size in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney, showing that the idea of inner-city living is now established in the Australian psyche as a mainstream lifestyle choice.

"There is no greater measure of how Australian values have shifted in a single generation," he said. "In the funkiest, hippest and most central parts of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, the number of residents moving in each year now tops 7000, 6800 and 6300 respectively."

Mr Salt assessed downtown growth by looking at population figures within a five-kilometre radius of the centre of each city. He reported that in Melbourne, the figure of 7058 city arrivals was higher than the number of people moving to any one of the three fastest-growing outer municipalities (Casey, Melton and Wyndham).

Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth are growing at close to record rates, fuelled by high levels of overseas migration, strong interstate migration and high birth rates. Sydney has an annual growth rate of less than 1 per cent, with some municipalities suffering — or enjoying — population falls.

Melbourne attracted 62,306 people compared with Sydney's 36,823. Mr Salt attributes this difference to higher housing prices in Sydney, where a three-bedroom brick veneer home in an outer suburb costs an average of $399,000 compared with $260,000 in Melbourne.

Mr Salt found the population in Melbourne's middle suburbs in municipalities such as Whitehorse and Monash is holding up better than it did a decade ago because generation Y adult children are continuing to live with their parents.

But he warned that these suburbs might become a "widow-world" by 2020, as the adult children will finally have left home, and with partners in elderly baby-boomer couples beginning to die. He predicts this will leave many older singles, mainly women, who will be socially isolated, anxious about their physical security and in need of more health services.

Mr Salt says baby-boomer parents who boast of adult children living overseas — parents for whom the distance they can "catapult" their children is a point of pride — might end up particularly lonely if those children have grandchildren overseas.

The Gold Coast was Australia's fastest-growing locale and could be the nation's fifth-largest city by the end of the century, he predicts. Seven of the 10 fastest-growing towns are on the Queensland coast.

What I find amazing in all of this, and it's very difficult for me to get my head around, is the seemingly massive difference between UK migrants and and Aussie born and breds in where they wish to live. I can cite many cases like the following, however this next example surprised even me.

Bumped into a recently married nursing couple in one of our local supermarkets yesterday. Together they would be earning between AUD 150,000 and 200,000. A a year so have a lot of buying power and choice as to where they can choose to live. Thing is they have bought an old ex commission home in Coburg, which they plan to totally renovate and extend. AFAIK, this isnt for profiteering but a lifechoice as they like being able to do the cafe breakfast and city entertainment thing. I cannot imagine any migrant from the UK moving to an ex commission area and doing it up, So why do you think the locals are more than willing, in fact doing this in droves. ? The local suburbs and now full of Medical and Teaching employees. This couple have been around, they've seen the world travelled, it's not lack of imagination, or influence. They probably know plenty of people in the outer reaches, in lifestyle type properties, so they've got plenty of comparison. It seems that the locals born Aussies aren't moving to the outer areas in the same numbers as migrants. I wonder why ? I still hardly ever hear a UK accent around these parts. Although there has been a very slight increase, I'm always pleased to hear one though.

I would imagine this situation is the same throughout the 3 main cities on the East Coast.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What I find amazing in all of this, and it's very difficult for me to get my head around, is the seemingly massive difference between UK migrants and and Aussie born and breds in where they wish to live. I can cite many cases like the following, however this next example surprised even me.

Bumped into a recently married nursing couple in one of our local supermarkets yesterday. Together they would be earning between AUD 150,000 and 200,000. A a year so have a lot of buying power and choice as to where they can choose to live. Thing is they have bought an old ex commission home in Coburg, which they plan to totally renovate and extend. AFAIK, this isnt for profiteering but a lifechoice as they like being able to do the cafe breakfast and city entertainment thing. I cannot imagine any migrant from the UK moving to an ex commission area and doing it up, So why do you think the locals are more than willing, in fact doing this in droves. ? The local suburbs and now full of Medical and Teaching employees. This couple have been around, they've seen the world travelled, it's not lack of imagination, or influence. They probably know plenty of people in the outer reaches, in lifestyle type properties, so they've got plenty of comparison. It seems that the locals born Aussies aren't moving to the outer areas in the same numbers as migrants. I wonder why ? I still hardly ever hear a UK accent around these parts. Although there has been a very slight increase, I'm always pleased to hear one though.

I would imagine this situation is the same throughout the 3 main cities on the East Coast.

It would not bother me in the least buying an x commission house and renovating, has the feel of buying an x council house in scotland, which are about rare as hens teeth these days, people realising they are better quality than new homes.

We choose where we live due to schools and schools only, we couldn't afford private, so wanted good state schools, and having limited knowledge of where these are we were directed in this direction, and although we have had teething troubles, i am 'on the whole', more than happy with the schools, i know for a fact my girls are receiving a first class education
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:39 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We choose where we live due to schools and schools only, we couldn't afford private, so wanted good state schools,
Very good point there Margaret. The attached article from the Domain section of todays Age highlights this in more detail. An interesting read and a good explanation as to why we have seen such ridiculous jumps in median house prices in a lot of Melbourne suburbs over the last 12 months.

i.e. Glen Waverley has increased 40% from 445K to 645k.

Rising demand and limited supply for homes near key secondary schools in the middle suburbs is a major contributor to the escalation of property prices.

p.s. When you click on the attached thumbnail, once the image opens, you may still need to right click on it and select 'view image' if it is still not readable (in order to be able to zoom on it)
Attached Thumbnails The Melbourne thread-home-where-school-age-dec-16th-2007.jpg  

Last edited by @boy; Dec 16th 2007 at 7:13 am.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We choose where we live due to schools and schools only, we couldn't afford private, so wanted good state schools, and having limited knowledge of where these are we were directed in this direction, and although we have had teething troubles, i am 'on the whole', more than happy with the schools, i know for a fact my girls are receiving a first class education
I thought you told me you chose it cause it was walking distance to the pub.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

I live in Melbourne and have done permantly for over 3.5 years now. I didnt plan to even see Melbourne on my travels but instead spent 9 weeks here and spent my uni placement here before emigrating here. Best city I have been to in the world and highly recommend it.

The sights, the people, the cultures, the food and wine, the shops, the beach, the cycling, the cars, the list goes on............

Melbourne is the best city in Australia in my opinion. Each city has its merits but Melbourne is the most liveable.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I thought you told me you chose it cause it was walking distance to the pub.

well obviously Hugh had to be in walking distance of the bowling club and RSL, no wonder Glen Waverly prices have jumped so much its got it all
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:47 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ulpul
I live in Melbourne and have done permantly for over 3.5 years now. I didnt plan to even see Melbourne on my travels but instead spent 9 weeks here and spent my uni placement here before emigrating here. Best city I have been to in the world and highly recommend it.

The sights, the people, the cultures, the food and wine, the shops, the beach, the cycling, the cars, the list goes on............

Melbourne is the best city in Australia in my opinion. Each city has its merits but Melbourne is the most liveable.
Welcome to BE, whereabouts are you in Melbourne
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Welcome to BE, whereabouts are you in Melbourne
He should be banned for saying those things about Melbourne. Doesn't he know he should say its boring & the weather is so cold etc etc.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:49 am
The Godfather

well obviously Hugh had to be in walking distance of the bowling club and RSL, no wonder Glen Waverly prices have jumped so much its got it all
Mags, you were in my hoose the night I hear.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:54 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

He should be banned for saying those things about Melbourne. Doesn't he know he should say its boring & the weather is so cold etc etc.
...and full of old people
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:55 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
...and full of old people
With Scottish accents.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:59 am
Take it easy

With Scottish accents.
Them too
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

With Scottish accents.
Falling over small walls drunk carrying bowling balls

Hope the ribs are getting better Hugh.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ulpul

Hi!
If you have lived there for a few years can i ask your advice?Hubbies potential employment around cheltenham/ferntree/clayton areas...
where is a nice area fairly close to the beach and not mega expensive, to bring up our 3 year old, with nice shops, cafes parks etc?
we like the sound of ferntree gulley but worried its a bit far out? what is chelsea like?
Thanks, tracey.x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.