Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Melbourne thread

Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it

We are hoping to be going to Melbourne but not for awhile yet and there are a few on their way too.
Mandy
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:36 pm
lilyloularh

lilyloularh will become famous soon enough

yep we are heading to Melbourne the end of the year also, wonder why Perth is popular??
one site i found useful.... http://www.anewlifeinmelbourne.com
gives info on the many areas and suburbs.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:39 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

I'm just starting the process and getting my tra in order but if all goes well I'll be heading out to melbourne my sister and family are already there and loving it
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

I'll kick it off.
we're going to Melbourne too - not sure where yet all depends where hubby gets work. Would love to go to Torquay if he could get work in Geelong.

We have both spent time there and love the laid back style of the place also like the weather as its changable.

We're hoping to go in time for christmas if everything goes to plan.

KayC
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Melbourne for 5 months and love it!
This site is good for info on Melbourne http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

I'll kick it off.
we're off to Melbourne aswell, hopefully by this time next year.
Nice to see there are a few off us!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

sarah sharp is an unknown quantity at this point

hello,
we are hoping to move to melbourne in the next 18 months and are very excited, want to go now but have things to organise.
i an an ot and need to be near a hospital but also close to coast. have 2 children 6 and 10 so somewhere good for families needed.
if anyone any idea where in melbourne fits would love to hear from you.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going, all being well hoping to book flights for 10th april
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

sarah sharp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I'm going, all being well hoping to book flights for 10th april
where abouts are you going and how long did the whole process take
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sarah sharp
where abouts are you going and how long did the whole process take
We are booking into holiday accom, and taking it from there, but i'm kinda drawn to Mount Waverly area or surrounds.
For us, i would say the whole process took around 2 years, but we're lazy buggers
Seriously try, BritVic site, mentioned above, you will get lots and lots of help concerning melbourne
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We are booking into holiday accom, and taking it from there, but i'm kinda drawn to Mount Waverly area or surrounds.
For us, i would say the whole process took around 2 years, but we're lazy buggers
Seriously try, BritVic site, mentioned above, you will get lots and lots of help concerning melbourne
Hi margaret

Hope you don't mind me asking but what holiday accomodation are you booking and a guide price? It's just the subject has come up here as to where we'll stay when we get over there initailly til we sort out a rental ? Thought Mount Waverley looked nice when we had a reccie trip last year but we'll be heading to the West.

We're going on an ENS so hopefully around August time????

Jen
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hi margaret

Hope you don't mind me asking but what holiday accomodation are you booking and a guide price? It's just the subject has come up here as to where we'll stay when we get over there initailly til we sort out a rental ? Thought Mount Waverley looked nice when we had a reccie trip last year but we'll be heading to the West.

We're going on an ENS so hopefully around August time????

Jen
Jen, look here and it will reveal all, including our hol accom

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=2893
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

I'll kick it off.
I have been there four times and love it so much. Have been all over Oz as have all my Mums side of the family over in Oz, Brissy Adelaide, Sydney etc... but Melbourne has me heart. I am aiming to be in Melbourne with my hubby and two children in early 2008. We all went in 2005 Easter, hubby's first time and he loved it mind you he also loved Brisbane but said Melbourne felt more like home. We love the Dandenongs (not to be confused by Dandenong, which is not so nice (no offence meant to anyone). My Aunt lives in Drouin and my cousin lives in Mornington (which we love) Mount Martha, Mount Eliza all beautiful. Melbourne CBD just has the most amazing buzz about it and is fantastic just to sit and watch with a damm good cup of coffee. Weather! well I have not lived there but have spent long periods of time there and generally the weather is fantastic (not sticky hot like Brisbane (less humid)) and yes it gets rain (although suffering from 8 year drought at the moment)but the countryside is beautiful recognisable in a British way, rolling hills etc. The coast Great Ocean Road reminds me of the Cornish/Devon coast line (I am from Cornwall) and the green hills Devon, but all this with the Ozzy welcome and way of life. Oh how I love Melbourne/Victoria. You have made a fantastic choice!!!!!! My opinion only

Cheryl
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for 5 years 1 month and it is ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.