British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne or Sydney ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-sydney-662191/)

asamird Apr 1st 2010 11:36 am

Melbourne or Sydney ?

hey Guys ,

few months ago i was here writing also , but on a completely different topic ... on what to do ?!! and how to do ?!! how to get my qualifications assessed and how to lodge my application ?!! and what i should do ?!! and so on ..

but now guys , i have got my VISA .. :thumbsup::thumbsup: so , dont worry all of you who are working on your applications now , it is easier than you can imagine , and all of you who are still thinking , just go for it ...

but as i am still on my way forward , i wana know guys about job opportunities for Network Engineer with Juniper/Cisco Background ,, which city is more likely to have job opportunites for me ?

cheers.

msabiransari Apr 4th 2010 2:39 am

Re: Melbourne or Sydney ?

Originally Posted by asamird (Post 8465272)
hey Guys ,

few months ago i was here writing also , but on a completely different topic ... on what to do ?!! and how to do ?!! how to get my qualifications assessed and how to lodge my application ?!! and what i should do ?!! and so on ..

but now guys , i have got my VISA .. :thumbsup::thumbsup: so , dont worry all of you who are working on your applications now , it is easier than you can imagine , and all of you who are still thinking , just go for it ...

but as i am still on my way forward , i wana know guys about job opportunities for Network Engineer with Juniper/Cisco Background ,, which city is more likely to have job opportunites for me ?

cheers.

Probably you should try seek.com.au.

Coppock Apr 4th 2010 9:38 am

Hi! Congratulations on your visa!
I'd recommend checking the job sites for job info,
I guess both cities should offer plenty of opportunities.
It might be worth starting a thread with a title of network engineers or similar - you might find more people knowledgable in the field will reply,
Good luck!
Jen

JenJen Apr 4th 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 8471125)
Hi! Congratulations on your visa!
I'd recommend checking the job sites for job info,
I guess both cities should offer plenty of opportunities.
It might be worth starting a thread with a title of network engineers or similar - you might find more people knowledgable in the field will reply,
Good luck!
Jen

No contest - go to Mellie x

asamird Apr 4th 2010 7:30 pm

thanks for the advice ,,

best of luck ..
:)

The_Foulgers Apr 4th 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by asamird (Post 8465272)
hey Guys ,

cheers.

Both Melbourne and Sydney offer loads of jobs but personally we'd agree 110% with JenJen and select Melbourne without a doubt, absolutely no contest.

asamird Apr 4th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers (Post 8472013)
Both Melbourne and Sydney offer loads of jobs but personally we'd agree 110% with JenJen and select Melbourne without a doubt, absolutely no contest.

you know i ve been thinking that too , but i was about to change my mind coz i checked some job websites and found more opportunities in Sydney that suits me better .. but i guess it was just only when i looked .. may be i need to keep an eye on it for a while .. :)

meanwhile ... i guess i am gona creat this Network Engineers Thread , seems a good idea ..

The_Foulgers Apr 4th 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by asamird (Post 8472028)
you know i ve been thinking that too , but i was about to change my mind coz i checked some job websites and found more opportunities in Sydney that suits me better .. but i guess it was just only when i looked .. may be i need to keep an eye on it for a while .. :)

meanwhile ... i guess i am gona creat this Network Engineers Thread , seems a good idea ..

We're both in IT ourselves and get job listings from SEEK daily, there are always more in Sydney, however there are lots advertised in Melbourne every day. One of our friends has just moved back to Sydney (he's an Aussie) recently, end of 2009 and has just got a job a week ago (again IT) - don't know how much he was looking before though to be fair. We visited a number of agencies in Melbourne when we were there last - New Year - and they said the market was picking up there.

To be honest we, just, personally, found Melbourne a really good place, we've been three times and stayed in the city and out of it near an Aussie mate who commutes from the Dandenogs daily.
I guess it's going to depend if you are only looking at the job market or the feel of the city and surrounding area's. Sydney, we personally found to be like London, full of tourists and busy busy busy whereas Melbourne is a lot more spacious and a lot less hectic.
Hope that helps and good luck.

JenJen Apr 4th 2010 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by asamird (Post 8472028)

Possibly more jobs out there with slightly higher pay than other areas but cost of living much higher in general than mellie, certain roads if you want to drive about and visit places either commuting or just out for the day are much more gridlocked than Melbourne's...
Melbourne we found on the whole was much more relaxed, the city didn't feel like a big city, we felt comfortable exploring it...
rush hour traffic is a b***h but not as bad as Sydney where rush hour is more like rush 2- 3 hours ?
Don't seem to have to go as far out from the place of work to find affordable housing/ rentals in a nice area......
Both places have very different feels and depends what you like I guess

asamird Apr 4th 2010 9:03 pm

The_Foulgers and JenJen;

i feel like im gona move to Mellie :) you probably have convinced me guys ... ;) especially when you talked about this rush hour traffic JenJen coz i am coming from a city where traffic is something similar to hell ...

but i have one more question , do u think it is easy to find a job remotely by contacting those Recruitment agencies through Emails ? coz i dont want to risk it and move and stay there in Oz jobless for a while ..!!!

The_Foulgers Apr 4th 2010 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by asamird (Post 8472122)
The_Foulgers and JenJen;

i feel like im gona move to Mellie :) you probably have convinced me guys ... ;) especially when you talked about this rush hour traffic JenJen coz i am coming from a city where traffic is something similar to hell ...

but i have one more question , do u think it is easy to find a job remotely by contacting those Recruitment agencies through Emails ? coz i dont want to risk it and move and stay there in Oz jobless for a while ..!!!

That I can't answer, what I would say is that the feedback we got from agencies in Melbourne was honest and positive. Here' a list of agencies and some names and numbers of people that our mate in Oz uses and we also have contacted, don't think he's ever been out of work.
Joanne Sims - Hays IT - Collins Street - 0396049638
Gary Fernades - Alliant - Little Collins Street - 0396002755
Carly llorente - Talent International - Little Collins Street - 0396024222
LOuise Miles - Interpro - Bourke Street - 0396000059
Peta Murphy - Resource Agility - Albert Road - 03880463347
Jonathan Blake - William Street - 1300842687

Hope that helps, and if you get anyway don't forget us, I'm a Software Tester and my hubby Luke is in Network Support :)

Good Luck

The_Foulgers Apr 4th 2010 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers (Post 8472166)
That I can't answer, what I would say is that the feedback we got from agencies in Melbourne was honest and positive. Here' a list of agencies and some names and numbers of people that our mate in Oz uses and we also have contacted, don't think he's ever been out of work.

Hope that helps, and if you get anyway don't forget us, I'm a Software Tester and my hubby Luke is in Network Support :)

Good Luck

Oops Jonathan Blake is with M & T Resources

asamird Apr 4th 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers (Post 8472166)

Good Luck

This is awsome ... Sure it helps ,, at least it saves me bunch of hours on google to find all those agencies ... thank you so much .. and ok .. i promise i will remember that .. ;)

JenJen Apr 5th 2010 1:00 pm

It is possible - we've done it but many Oz companies like you to be in Oz or proof you're on your way if they're gonna consider employing from outside of Oz.

You do find the occasional Co. that will take what they consider is a gamble on you x

An yes having spent 2-3 hours in almost solid traffic on several occasions with 2 kids and one preschooler I would say Sydney traffic is prob worse than hell.....

The traffic in Mellie isn't fantastic but it's much more favourable in comparison x

ezzie Apr 5th 2010 10:28 pm

I'll just basically add to the one-sided argument. For jobs - definitely Sydney. Bigger events, better weather, fabulous beaches, international presence = Sydney any day.
However, arts, culture, lifestyle, humour (well, what passes for humour here), transport, fresh market food, character = Melbourne.

I think you're on the right track choosing Melbourne (& I'm from Sydney)