Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburbs that have the lowest crime rates/are perceived as safe?

Melbourne suburbs that have the lowest crime rates/are perceived as safe?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Question Melbourne suburbs that have the lowest crime rates/are perceived as safe?

Any pointers as to the safest suburbs for a family with young children?

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:50 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs that have the lowest crime rates/are perceived as safe?

Originally Posted by IndieG

Thanks
Probably the wealthy eastern suburbs, but then burglars probably target them because thats where people own the most valuables, In a large city of 4 million people its hard to advoid crime, thats why l live in country Victoria a couple of hours from Melbounre , almost no crime and a much better environment in live in.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 11th 2009 at 4:52 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs that have the lowest crime rates/are perceived as safe?

Originally Posted by mohogony
Probably the wealthy eastern suburbs, but then burglars probably target them because thats where people own the most valuables, In a large city of 4 million people its hard to advoid crime, thats why l live in country Victoria a couple of hours from Melbounre , almost no crime and a much better environment in live in.
I don't mean totally avoid crime - that's probably asking for the impossible in any big city. I'm more worried about serious assault/mugging/robbing at knife point etc type of crimes. Obviously, am going to use some common sense (am hard pressed to find it at the moment...lol) and make sure I avoid potentially dangerous situations.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I don't mean totally avoid crime - that's probably asking for the impossible in any big city. I'm more worried about serious assault/mugging/robbing at knife point etc type of crimes. Obviously, am going to use some common sense (am hard pressed to find it at the moment...lol) and make sure I avoid potentially dangerous situations.
South-east suburbs. Hawthorn has a large Indian community and is very safe, houses very expensivie though.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ossigeno
has a large Indian community and is very safe,
and you're still saying it's safe...

Actually have more or less decided to rent a smallish place (3 bed) in Glen Waverley (more convenient for school, transport and shopping). Will buy if we like it there (it did seem very very quiet to me when we visited family who used to live there) or else , once hubby joins us, in a nice suburb a bit closer to the city...

Don't really need a large house (considering that I will have to do the bl00dy cleaning myself) - 3 bed+study+rumpus+small garden would be great whenever we decide to buy....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Thanks
Its a bit vague what your looking for!
I would suggest almost all suburbs in Melbourne are safe for young children with the exception of a few in the West and Posiible a couple in the outer east! But to be honest that should be way down your list of priorities in moving to Melbourne, I would be more interested in housing affordability, lifestyle, Decent Schools Ect.
Melbourne aint an unsafe city by a long shot, but it does have its fair share of crime that is evenly distributed about the city!
But since you asked a few pointers!
Mostly all inner suburbs are safe places to live for kids, even the likes of St Kilda! Some of the Inner Northern Suburbs such as Fitzroy Brunswick, Carlton Ect, may look a little rough around the edges but dont let that fool you they probably happen to be the most cutting edge, diverse cultural suburbs in Austrlaia
Onc eyou move further out into the East and Sout East everywhere is fine, until you hit places like Noble Park or SpringVale which have probably more a repuatation than anything.
To the West probably places like Broadmeadows, Sunshine and a few others.
A cannot honestly say Melbourne has no go areas, there may be only a few suburbs, but none that you wont go to like many larger UK cities.

The good thing about Melbourne though is the diversity of the suburbs, there is somthing for everyone!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks 29P....think we've found our suburb (GW) to rent. Also chose it because I'm more familiar with the surrounds, having visited and lived there several times previously....luckily I don't plan to work for a long time (if at all), so commute to CBD/work is not an issue.

I've seen plenty of houses to rent on realestate.com and noticed they've remained vacant for over 6 weeks now - I thought there was very keen competition for rentals and they were gone within a matter of hours

Anyway, seeing that I will have no credit history, no bank history in Oz (just a balance in the a/c good enough?), no job etc, not sure how the agents are going to view my rental application - will however offer to pay 3-6 months rent in advance - hopefully this will do the trick? I could provide references easily enough.

Last edited by IndieG; Jun 11th 2009 at 7:05 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

and you're still saying it's safe...
Actually have more or less decided to rent a smallish place (3 bed) in Glen Waverley (more convenient for school, transport and shopping). Will buy if we like it there (it did seem very very quiet to me when we visited family who used to live there) or else , once hubby joins us, in a nice suburb a bit closer to the city...
Glen Waverley has one of the top performing state schools in Victoria. The other is Balwyn High. But extremely competitive approach at these schools. Very high % Chinese/Vietnamese background whose parents are very academically driven for their children.

Don't really need a large house (considering that I will have to do the bl00dy cleaning myself) - 3 bed+study+rumpus+small garden would be great whenever we decide to buy....
Probably about $550k in Glen Waverley for a unit.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Thanks 29P....think we've found our suburb (GW) to rent. Also chose it because I'm more familiar with the surrounds, having visited and lived there several times previously....luckily I don't plan to work for a long time (if at all), so commute to CBD/work is not an issue.

I've seen plenty of houses to rent on realestate.com and noticed they've remained vacant for over 6 weeks now - I thought there was very keen competition for rentals and they were gone within a matter of hours

Anyway, seeing that I will have no credit history, no bank history in Oz (just a balance in the a/c good enough?), no job etc, not sure how the agents are going to view my rental application - will however offer to pay 3-6 months rent in advance - hopefully this will do the trick? I could provide references easily enough.
Glen Waverly is a good suburb
Good Rental Properties are quite scare at the moment and you do have to look harder to find the decent ones althought they are out there.
My advice is make mutiple copies of information such as any references, can be from employers or landlords, copy of a bank statement, passport, drivers licence and y mortagage statements, basically any infor that you can submit with your application. Then when you visit an open for inspection you have everything ready and all you need to do is fill in the application form and bang is straight in no delays if you really want the place. This should be good enough to be accepted I would not recommend paying more than your first rent up front as you shouldnt have to do this. Just try and be prompt and try and give them a bit more info than they were expecting it shows that you are organised and a good canditate. Believe me it works!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Glen Waverley has one of the top performing state schools in Victoria. The other is Balwyn High. But extremely competitive approach at these schools. Very high % Chinese/Vietnamese background whose parents are very academically driven for their children.
Thanks - think my daughter will be fine then

Originally Posted by 29palms
copy of a bank statement,
passport,
drivers licence
and y mortagage statements,

basically any infor that you can submit with your application.
Thanks for that....Copy of my Oz bank statement will only show my current balance -as it would have very few transactions. I'd have to organise an account as soon as I land.

Haven't got any mortgage statements.

Cheers