Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburbs, Anyone there?

Melbourne Suburbs, Anyone there?

Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs, Anyone there?

Woohoo I see my 'long post' has appeared and in the right place! (very cunning)

posted by Buzy Bee

WithIce - are you a refugee from NZ like us and Geelong Gent?
Not so much a refugee as just plain restless. I'm currently in NZ, previously UK. I tend to like most places I live but once I get 'use' to them I get this feeling that I might be able to find somewhere better/more interesting/more suited to the stage of life I'm at, in fact any excuse I can think of according to the long suffering OH!

Johnsyweb - thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them. And I'll check out South Melbourne now I know its a place and not a general direction!

Out of interest do any of the suburbs have particular identities? Like 'ladies who lunch' (Kensington in London), 'alternative' (Camden in London), yuppies (City in London) etc etc?

WithIce x
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:30 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WithIce
Out of interest do any of the suburbs have particular identities? Like 'ladies who lunch' (Kensington in London),
High street - Armadale
Glenferrie Road - Malvern
Glen huntly road - Elsternwick
Malvern road - Hawksburn

'alternative' (Camden in London)
Fitzroy

, yuppies (City in London) etc etc?WithIce x
South Yarra
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

I think the map question has been answered but here is another one from a company I work with:

http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/mapsearch.cgi

I typed in Melbourne, VIC and then zoomed out to Level 4 which gives you quite a few of the suburbs.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:58 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Maybe I am 'justifying' why we so 'stupidly' bought in the west- close to city, good transport, close to beaches, good sized blocks, friendly neighbours etc- but obviously our local estate agents and the purchasers for the last year have been wrong. Not surprisingly- we do actually like it here.

House prices in our area (Newport) have gone up by 20pct in a year- but I will tell the EAs and purchasers that they have overpaid as prices apparently are declining!!!!
We like some parts of the west too, and it's within easy reach of the Gt Ocean Road too.. We just spent the last 2 days down there and it's stunning.

Just discovered Taylors Lakes the other week. There's some beautiful homes there and it looks like a really established leafy burb with good rail links to the city and shops/schools nearby. Essenson in the north has great schools too and isn't there also a fantastic private school in Tarneit?

It's not all black and white. You really need to get out and about and feel the places for yourself. We haven't bought anything yet, still to make up our minds 100% as to where we'll buy, but from a day to day living point of view, we are really happy where we are. We get a real sense of community here in Caroline Springs and above all else, the flies aren't too bad as it's breezy lol
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:10 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Hi withice

I am in Taylors lakes, its 22km (15 miles) NW of the CBD, I have a 800 square metre section (they call it a block here) and a 330 square metre 4 bedroom house (single storey)
It has been valued recently at $450,000, while i do not have a pool that's an awful lot of house for the money.
the commute is about 30-40 minutes by train into the city and you are at the end of the metro line, that ensures you get to sit down for the journey in.

the schools are quite numerous in this area due to it being a "growth corridor"
the main drawback as far as i can see is that you can easily be in a flightpath from the airport, but, being 5km from that the aircraft are at a reasonable height when they pass overhead. so the noise is not as intrusive as you would think.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

New Years Resolution 1): Well, finished off a Chocolate Orange (UK one) last night, so that I could start properly in the morning. Not quite New Year yet so just getting it out of my system - honest!

New Years Resolution 2):

Thanks, I'll order a map. Any idea of a suburbs map online? I don't want roads, trainlines etc, just something that shows the general position of where all the suburbs are?

I've checked out realestate, I just suspect, with it being Christmas, it may not have the most representative properties. March is quite a good time for house selling/buying in NZ, is it similar in Oz?

Thanks, I'll check it out. Do places nearer the CBD have smaller gardens/plots? Is the style of housing townhouses and apartments etc?

Thanks! If searching on the realestate sites what suburb names would I put in for South Melbourne, which might be suitable? Also would you say that area is quite self contained? I'd prefer to live somewhere that has a bit of an identity and where you don't have to go elsewhere for local facilities, if that's possible?

Thank you for such a comprehensive list of suburbs! I'll have a look into the house buying process, as although we plan to rent first, we will want to buy sooner rather than later, if it all works out.

Do you have a problem with leaky buildings in Oz? Also do you have micro climates in Melbourne? Where we live at the moment if you have your windows facing the right way and live on the right side of the hill then it can make a big difference to how warm or damp your house feels.

Is Melbourne experiencing a housing boom in terms of prices, or just particular areas?

Thanks I'll PM you!

Big thank you for all the replies, we do plan on coming for a reccie next year so I'm hoping to get a shortlist together of areas to go and see. Would ideally have a top 5!

WithIce x
WithIce,
I think the best way is renting a car and having a look at 4-5 famous suburbs. DO IT YOURSELF! - that's what we did and many other friends preferred to follow what they were told...

Saturdays are usually the best time for getting such things done. Agents are available and you might get a good chance to inspect some cases on the spot (Sats are inspection days!)
Good luck,
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:42 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest do any of the suburbs have particular identities? Like 'ladies who lunch' (Kensington in London), 'alternative' (Camden in London), yuppies (City in London) etc etc?

WithIce x
Church Street, Brighton and in particular The Pantry. If you drive a 4x4 have some sort of plastic surgery, blonde, have a OH who earns lots of money then you should fit right in! Oh sorry - one more thing - play tennis!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:36 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Just to add on what herrchook has hinted at.

I have noticed that in Melbourne, the weather patterns are roughly divided between east and west.
the west is windy and the east is wet
so if you do end up buying here, please keep in mind to avoid high exposed positions in the west and low lying depressions in the east, these are the most likely areas to suffer damage in any extreme weather.
we dont get the kinds of extremes that happen in Sydney, Brisbane etc.. but it does happen every now and then wherever you are.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

posted by GG

High street - Armadale
Glenferrie Road - Malvern
Glen huntly road - Elsternwick
Malvern road - Hawksburn
Wow the 'ladies who lunch' sure do get about!

posted by Vanessa

Church Street, Brighton and in particular The Pantry. If you drive a 4x4 have some sort of plastic surgery, blonde, have a OH who earns lots of money then you should fit right in! Oh sorry - one more thing - play tennis!
Have we met?

WithIce x
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Meant to add, has anyone done a Top 3 Melbourne Suburbs list?

If not, if money was not a problem, which would be your top 3 and why?

WithIce x
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:44 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

WithIce

Judging by your info i would actually recommend looking south of the yarra for a place for you.
Possibly Elsternwick/Elwood area would be a good starting place, if that doesn't look family friendly enough for you then possibly looking out towards caulfield through to camberwell .
Mind you in that band it is becoming harder to find decent housing for under a million dollars.
the schools are fairly universally good in that area but you wont be able to get the kids in unless you pull up in a BMW X5 minimum

Happy hunting

Rab
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:10 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to add, has anyone done a Top 3 Melbourne Suburbs list?

If not, if money was not a problem, which would be your top 3 and why?

WithIce x
Its not just about money. Some prefer the beach some prefer the river and inner more traditional areas. Also when looking at property it might be say $1.6m+ but because someone with very deep pockets wants the place for a pool ie the neighbours it will go for $3.2m - nothing to do with market value just an individuals value on the place and ability to pay.

Transport Bottlenecks also play a part in your consideration - you can end up spending 20 mins stuck at a railway cross over in the morning - especially when you get one train from each end. - Trust me Toorak junction with the Monash in the morning is a right pain.

Toorak is your traditional Remuera
Malvern, Armadale being your surrounding areas and similar to the better parts of Ponsonby, Parnell, Newmarket, One tree Hill. They also contain the better private schools - think Auckland Boys Grammar,

Brighton is your Takapuna and Devonport - (Actually Williamstown is more Devonport)
Surrounding areas work the same as Browns Bay - to Orewa - the further from the CBD the lower the prices. Bucklands Beach and Howick are similar but are less pretenstious.

Something you might also want to think about are the different councils rather than just a specific suburb - they are all so close together rather than limit yourself. Once here you will still find a bit of post code snob value - but its more street by street.

PS The west is like south Auckland - Ti Rakiau Drive with a lot of Manurewa/Papatoetoe/Otahuhu. There are some good areas though like Willamstown but many so called good areas are pockets like Hillpark in Manurewa.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

posted by derab

Mind you in that band it is becoming harder to find decent housing for under a million dollars.
the schools are fairly universally good in that area but you wont be able to get the kids in unless you pull up in a BMW X5 minimum
At the moment my kids turn up to school the NZ way - shoeless! Do kids walk to school in Melbourne or do people drive everywhere?

You're a star GG, your giving me some really useful info! It terms of councils are some worse than others in terms of building restictions etc, are some areas known for being heritage zones?

Also one thing that I hadn't allowed for when I came to Auckland was how hilly it was - you can't tell on those street maps! Its a bit of a pain as I do like to walk and I'm normally pushing a buggy, dragging a toddler - is it very hilly in Melbourne?

WithIce x
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment my kids turn up to school the NZ way - shoeless! Do kids walk to school in Melbourne or do people drive everywhere?

You're a star GG, your giving me some really useful info!
WithIce x
oh he has his moments

my kids walk to school, but in this suburb they are in the minority, reason i know this, my 9 year old had to do graphs about it and i was very surprised how little walk, however there are lots of pupils from neighbouring suburbs who go to both the state primary and secondary here because of the schools good rep.

I would say most peope drive everywhere, bit of a change for us coming from scotland, the public transport in this suburb is excellent, thank god as 16 year old always on the move, and at least she can easily get from a to b , without relying on us.

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 31st 2007 at 12:28 am.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, topics really do disappear off the bottom of the page really quickly! I don't suppose anyone has considered making 'area sub forums', so you can find all the info in one place and it doesn't disappear quite so quickly?!

posted by Margaret3

I would say most peope drive everywhere, bit of a change for us coming from scotland, the public transport in this suburb is excellent, thank god as 16 year old always on the move, and at least she can easily get from a to b , without relying on us.
I'm surprised seeing as its got such good transport - just something people have got use to there I guess?

I would hope to be in a situation where my kids will be able to walk. My oldest is already practicing on his scooter for next term - he's not very good, so it might actually take longer than walking - bless!

WithIce x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.