British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-suburbs-agents-again-305784/)

pandya_m May 29th 2005 8:33 pm

Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Hello Folks:
I have decided to move to Melbourne... This time I am making it sure and investgating more on this. I have identified few areas
Mornington/ Frankston/ CANTERBURY/ BURWOOD/ Ivanhoe/ flemington. but still not sure where... :confused:

I am alone migrating so staying will not be a problem. If I can save some rent and spend more on hardward and useful stuff like night-school, college and books it will be just good.
1. I want to be find with CDB travelling should not be an issue. Does any know good and cheap suburbs other than those...?
2. V IMP Question for me: If I dont have my pc handly when I come how can i investigate Agents for rental housing.. Will yellow pages help a lot or there are other sources where I can find agents (if I dont internet)? If there are other sources what are those? Can anyone list those?

Expasts please help

HUP May 29th 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Will yellow pages help a lot or there are other sources where I can find agents (if I dont internet)? If there are other sources what are those? Can anyone list those?

Expasts please help

Just walk into any real estate agent (theres no shortage :D), in the areas you like, and ask for the rentals list

fireeater May 29th 2005 10:05 pm

Hello Folks:
I have decided to move to Melbourne... This time I am making it sure and investgating more on this. I have identified few areas
Mornington/ Frankston/ CANTERBURY/ BURWOOD/ Ivanhoe/ flemington. but still not sure where... :confused:

I am alone migrating so staying will not be a problem. If I can save some rent and spend more on hardward and useful stuff like night-school, college and books it will be just good.
1. I want to be find with CDB travelling should not be an issue. Does any know good and cheap suburbs other than those...?
2. V IMP Question for me: If I dont have my pc handly when I come how can i investigate Agents for rental housing.. Will yellow pages help a lot or there are other sources where I can find agents (if I dont internet)? If there are other sources what are those? Can anyone list those?

Expasts please help

Hi there,

Mornington and Frankston are a fair way from the CBD if that is an issue for you.
Canterbury looks ok (but just further out, Boxhill looks a dump) as does Flemington (but further out west Sunshine is a dump), don't know about Burwood. Ivanhoe and the North East suburbs are really nice and easily accessible to the CBD. Greensborough, Eltham, Lilydale are all NE suburbs worth looking at. Yarraville is ok. Just to the south of Flemington, it's really close to the CBD and fairly cheap. The SE is all mostly nice, but I can't say about the rents.

In Melbourne estate agents have rental properties and the Herald Sun and Age can both be consulted. When are you coming to Aus, and do you have a place to stay for a short time when you arrive? In a couple of weeks, you should be able to find somewhere with some footwork and effort.

Shellfish May 30th 2005 5:17 am

Hi

I like Burwood, it's a nice area and reasonable but getting to the city may be an issue as it doesnt have a direct train station. You can get the train but you would need to drive. Mornington is lovely but pretty far from the CBD.
Box Hill is good in terms of location because it's accessible to city (train and tram) and is pretty close but you need to do your homework, there are good bits and not such good bits.
Canterbury is expensive..
There are other areas called Mount Waverley/Glen Waverley. They are out in the suburbs but are reasonable for buying and renting and also have a direct train to the city.

pandya_m Jun 1st 2005 11:44 am

Thank you all...
Thanks HUP.
Fireeater, as usual very informative post.
Shellfish, thanks for putting your experience...
Hope to see more information or experiences...

fireeater Jun 2nd 2005 6:18 am

Thank you all...
Thanks HUP.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Trading Post. Besides selling just about everything, there's a housing section in there.

JackTheLad Jun 2nd 2005 10:28 am

Thank you all...
Thanks HUP.

The gay scene isn't as lively in Melbourne... apparently :eek:

JTL

NJJ Jun 2nd 2005 10:34 am

flemington.

Excellent choice. I live near Caulfield but Flemington would be creme de la creme!!

Bordy Jun 2nd 2005 10:43 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The gay scene isn't as lively in Melbourne... apparently :eek:

JTL

Gimmie a kiss & I'll tell you if it is or not. ;)

JackTheLad Jun 2nd 2005 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Gimmie a kiss & I'll tell you if it is or not. ;)

If you're that desperate, it can't be good :p

JTL

JackTheLad Jun 2nd 2005 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fireeater
Sorry, I forgot to mention the Trading Post. Besides selling just about everything, there's a housing section in there.

Does it have a Dating section?

JTL

CasG Jun 2nd 2005 11:51 am

Does it have a Dating section?

JTL

Yes it does - you lucky lad :D

Cas (Mrs fireeater)

JackTheLad Jun 2nd 2005 11:57 am

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Yes it does - you lucky lad :D

Cas (Mrs fireeater)

I'm in Brisbane, and married, and definitely not gay, I'm just trying to source useful contacts for pandya :)

JTL

CasG Jun 2nd 2005 12:03 pm

I'm in Brisbane, and married, and definitely not gay, I'm just trying to source useful contacts for pandya :)

JTL

Poor joke :o

Very good of you :) Trading Post is very useful for many things. Has a website as well. http://www.tradingpost.com.au/default.asp

Cas

JackTheLad Jun 2nd 2005 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Poor joke :o

Cas

:rolleyes: You've stumbled across a joke with history between me and pandya. But thanks for grading it anyway :rolleyes:

I'll rate more of your posts in future :p

JTL