Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You've stumbled across a joke with history between me and pandya. But thanks for grading it anyway

I'll rate more of your posts in future

JTL
Totally confused me now...

Oh, well - Pandya has asked for help from us before, and we're more than happy to help him with anything we can.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Totally confused me now...

Oh, well - Pandya has asked for help from us before, and we're more than happy to help him with anything we can.
Just a shame he chose a gay icon as his avatar. I preferred his old avatar,

JTL
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

JTL
LOL - never noticed, as I don't come here often (usually the Lounge)

Golden God(ess)

Cas
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

jaswebpics is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I live an hour from Melbourne now, but have spent some years living there before. Some of my opinions:
Mornington/Frankston - too far from city if you like the shopping/night life/or just want to work in the city. There is a fair crime rate in Frankston, but the coastal area there is a nice place to visit on a warm weekend.
CANTERBURY - Close to trains, little expensive for housing, clean, some nice tree-lined streets. Not too far to commute to city.
BURWOOD/ Ivanhoe - Nothing exciting there, could probably find some reasonably priced places but you will have to commute by tram or bus (slow)
Flemington - can walk/short tram ride to city, some busy roads there so will have to find a good street.

Depending on your age and needs, you can find cheap shared housing through noticeboards at the universities (see RMIT or Melbourne University). The unis may also have some good contacts for 'foreigners'. Expect a room for $80-$120 with 3-4 others not far from the city in places like Carlton, Brunswick, Fitzroy. <http://131.170.43.250:1080/listinter.html> There is usually a 'bond' where you pay 4 weeks upfront to cover possible damage etc - you will get this back when you leave if you're good!

Going through real estate agents may be difficult as you don't have any local references or rental history. Enough money though and they might not care!

Feel free to ask any questions!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jaswebpics
Hi there, I live an hour from Melbourne now, but have spent some years living there before. Some of my opinions:
Mornington/Frankston - too far from city if you like the shopping/night life/or just want to work in the city. There is a fair crime rate in Frankston, but the coastal area there is a nice place to visit on a warm weekend.
CANTERBURY - Close to trains, little expensive for housing, clean, some nice tree-lined streets. Not too far to commute to city.
BURWOOD/ Ivanhoe - Nothing exciting there, could probably find some reasonably priced places but you will have to commute by tram or bus (slow)
Flemington - can walk/short tram ride to city, some busy roads there so will have to find a good street.

Depending on your age and needs, you can find cheap shared housing through noticeboards at the universities (see RMIT or Melbourne University). The unis may also have some good contacts for 'foreigners'. Expect a room for $80-$120 with 3-4 others not far from the city in places like Carlton, Brunswick, Fitzroy. <http://131.170.43.250:1080/listinter.html> There is usually a 'bond' where you pay 4 weeks upfront to cover possible damage etc - you will get this back when you leave if you're good!

Going through real estate agents may be difficult as you don't have any local references or rental history. Enough money though and they might not care!

Thank you for sharing that with US,

What do you think anout Preston Or Cuborg?

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samer
What do you think about Preston or Coburg?
Well I was born in Coburg, so it can't be all bad! Again, it should be pretty affordable suburbia and would have plenty of cheap 'student' accomodation or low-midrange houses. Not that far out and you have trains and trams to get around. Plenty of major roads out that way and you're starting to get closer to the airport too, so some places could be a bit noisy. There is a large contingent of turkish, greek and lebanese in the area. Crime level is probably about average, but the further west you go, the worse it gets.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:06 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by fireeater
When are you coming to Aus, and do you have a place to stay for a short time when you arrive? In a couple of weeks, you should be able to find somewhere with some footwork and effort.
Sorry, did not ans your previous question...
I am not sure, where to stay for short when I arrive.... Still looking out for details on web. I think best idea is to finalize on couple of location and then book hotel/ suite or apts around that place. This will help me to hunt down good rental places....
Thanks for the reply & concern...
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:08 am

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Wink Re: Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

JTL
Whatever you say JTL... He is a man who is Master of universe... Anyways couple of things:
I lost my old avtar with that old company.
And other thing... dont hijack my threads .. We will have enough time to ramble over he-man....
I too loved your old avtar, did you bring it back ?????????????
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about

Well I was born in Coburg, so it can't be all bad! Again, it should be pretty affordable suburbia and would have plenty of cheap 'student' accomodation or low-midrange houses. Not that far out and you have trains and trams to get around. Plenty of major roads out that way and you're starting to get closer to the airport too, so some places could be a bit noisy. There is a large contingent of turkish, greek and lebanese in the area. Crime level is probably about average, but the further west you go, the worse it gets.

Thanks for the info,

I had checked Preston & coburg and i see what you are saying.
have not decided yet.

Trip starts Saturday, wish me luck.

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by samer
Thanks for the info,

I had checked Preston & coburg and i see what you are saying.
have not decided yet.

Trip starts Saturday, wish me luck.

Cheers
Hey Sam. All the Best to you and take care.Have a safe journey...
Do keep us updated about you..
All the Best Mate..
- Muks
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:20 pm

Thanks Jaswebpics for the comment on RMIT or Melbourne University, I was not aware of those...

As I will be immigrating does my local rental history still prove useful. Since it wont be of Australia? I can ask for some rental history (for precaution) that should not be a problem.
Moreover, I know some in QLD for a year now. If it fine for him to give refernce it will be good I will ask him. But, is it ok to give his reference in Melb? Do owner accept this since the person is in QLD?

Yest to visit the link: http://131.170.43.250:1080/listinter.htm Its aint loading
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:19 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Sorry, did not ans your previous question...
I am not sure, where to stay for short when I arrive.... Still looking out for details on web. I think best idea is to finalize on couple of location and then book hotel/ suite or apts around that place. This will help me to hunt down good rental places....
Thanks for the reply & concern...
If you're travelling light, you could stay in a backpacker's hotel in central Melbourne. They are a lot cheaper, a good way of meeting some people, and they have noticeboards with accomodation, temp jobs etc....
Old Jun 4th 2005, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Yes your UK history will be good and the personal ref in QLD too, no dramas there I don't think.

That page link, try from here:
http://131.170.43.250:1080/accrmit.html
Then search all accomodation...
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by fireeater
If you're travelling light, you could stay in a backpacker's hotel in central Melbourne. They are a lot cheaper, a good way of meeting some people, and they have noticeboards with accomodation, temp jobs etc....
Thats what I was upto searching on the net for Hostel or B&B. I will be light just 30 kg in total ..
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:27 am

Question Re: Melbourne: Suburbs and Agents Again... :)

Yes your UK history will be good and the personal ref in QLD too, no dramas there I don't think.

That page link, try from here:
http://131.170.43.250:1080/accrmit.html
Then search all accomodation...
Hey Jas thanks for the the info. The link is very good.
But how do I log in??? I am not allowed to register even.. It displays the list of properties, but I do I contact the owner or the person who posted the ad..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.