Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburbs

Melbourne Suburbs

Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Bloody hell, half a hour drive in peak time you would need to live very close in.

Had to drop my car for service into a Essendon ( inner suburb ) yesterday. Needed it there by 7.30 am, knew this was going to be hellish.

No accidents or roadworks on route, but it took an hour to drive what would be around 15 minutes if you tried it at say 10 pm. Had high hopes for the return at 1.30 pm but the trams had other ideas about that. Wedged between a tram and concrete mixer with parked cars as always partly blocking the left hand lane. Absolute nightmare.

Coming in on the major freeways into Melbourne anywhere near peak, say from 6am, is usually an absolute horror story. Saturday peak just seems to go all day. Weekdays I wont drive unless absolute necessary from 6 to about 10 and from about 2 till gone 6.30 at least.

I dont like trains much either, but in peak if there is one, it will more than likely be a better alternative.

Parking unless provided with an employer would be fun, one obstacle with the trains is the carparks are packed full usually by 6am. Pushbike to train seems to work best, but melbourne weather can be a bit aggressive ( usually wind related ) in winter or the worst days in summer. Some stations have security cages for bike.
If you are in the car by 630 you are ok in Melbourne if you pick routes wisely. The closer you are and the sooner you start the better. anyone an hour away and in cars later than this will get stuck. Many people choose to do it.

Many car parks full well after 6am. 730 might be a cutoff in other places : do your research. It's surprising where you can park a car : do your research. And there are many trains in peak hour : not all lines grind to a halt all day every day. Some are worse than others and delays are experienced at certain times on certain lines. Research them.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Apr 7th 2017 at 3:57 am.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, half a hour drive in peak time you would need to live very close in.

Had to drop my car for service into a Essendon ( inner suburb ) yesterday. Needed it there by 7.30 am, knew this was going to be hellish.

No accidents or roadworks on route, but it took an hour to drive what would be around 15 minutes if you tried it at say 10 pm. Had high hopes for the return at 1.30 pm but the trams had other ideas about that. Wedged between a tram and concrete mixer with parked cars as always partly blocking the left hand lane. Absolute nightmare.

Coming in on the major freeways into Melbourne anywhere near peak, say from 6am, is usually an absolute horror story. Saturday peak just seems to go all day. Weekdays I wont drive unless absolute necessary from 6 to about 10 and from about 2 till gone 6.30 at least.

I dont like trains much either, but in peak if there is one, it will more than likely be a better alternative.

Parking unless provided with an employer would be fun, one obstacle with the trains is the carparks are packed full usually by 6am. Pushbike to train seems to work best, but melbourne weather can be a bit aggressive ( usually wind related ) in winter or the worst days in summer. Some stations have security cages for bike.
Melbourne traffic. Destroying what is otherwise a very nice city!
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like I may as well stay in London! Seriously the way you have just described I wouldn't be any better off! Why on earth do British people move there?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Sounds like I may as well stay in London! Seriously the way you have just described I wouldn't be any better off! Why on earth do British people move there?
There are many bits of Australia where traffic would be absolutely no problem But why would Melbourne be one of them

Traffic in a city of 5 million should be no surprise to anyone, no issues go away because you swing to the other side of the planet.

Melbourne has experienced fast growth so problems associated with housing and transport develop. That s what happens, anywhere not just in Melbourne. Immigration here is very diverse, as multicultural as you can get, Brits are only a small part of it. Never thought of it before but in 2 years in Melbourne have met a brit, cant think of one! Plenty on forum obviously.

People move for relationships, ' better life ' real or imagined, a job opportunity, just wanting to try another country, to a bit of australia that will offer a very different lifestyle, tropical beach in qld, that sort of thing.

Reasons change too, it used to be financial, great exchange rate, cheaper housing, some wanted to escape the issues of the world, that of course does not happen.

But less traffic, australia has that in buckets, just not in melbourne or sydney or peak in brisbane. Canberra and Adelaide spring to mind, much easier, still cities.

Job opportunites are relative to population too, might be more in syd, melb at first sight, but more people applying for them. I know for us, our business was 10 times easier in QLD, due to less competition. So much so I commute, but find the odd opportunity in Melbourne, but the vast amount of people competing for anything is tiresome.

Dont overlook the smaller places if you want that relaxed, easier life
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:54 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well it would depend if your be all and all criteria was traffic!

As I said before, my suburb, St Kilda East was on your list. I sometimes drive in...if I do, I leave by 7am and it takes 15 mins or less. I drove today, my train line is suspended due to flooding as it always is when there is more than 3 nanometres of rain! Despite the crappy weather, still 15 mins later I'm parked in the multi-storey car park in the CBD. If I had written this post last week I could've told you it was only $10 for daily parking too...but it went up to $13 over the weekend!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's all about the pros and cons. Melbourne has better weather than London, and assuming you can afford decent real estate, you can have a nice garden all year round (I'm able to grow veggies all year 'round). For a city its size, it also has a decent cultural life, and the countryside is in quite close proximity so it's more straightforward to get out of than, say, Sydney.

Melbourne's (and for that matter, Sydney's) transport problems are nothing new. They reflect a combination of physical geography and a history of pretty terrible urban planning and chronic under investment in public transport. The big difference between Melbourne and London is that in London zones 1 & 2, it isn't that difficult to make cross town trips, using a combination of Underground, National Rail and bus. In Melbourne, things are much more on the spoke and hub model. As populations and ways of working and living have changed, the public transport in Melbourne hasn't been updated. So the city is reliant on the car for a lot of its transport.

I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and London. I'd never live in Sydney again (and get annoyed by the traffic whenever I am there and have to leave the CBD). I've thoroughly enjoyed living in Melbourne (I do think it is a nice place to live) and think it has much to recommend it over Sydney as a city in which mostly to work, and live a bit (ie, after work and weekends). Sydney is a great city if you can live beachside or harbourside, and have a lot of leisure time! But to have to commute in Sydney is wretched and past the harbour and beach, I think it is a pretty disagreeable place and choked by traffic even worse than in Melbourne. I loved living in London and would live there again in a heartbeat, but that's not currently part of the future plans (I'm moving to Vancouver for the next part of my life).
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well it would depend if your be all and all criteria was traffic!

As I said before, my suburb, St Kilda East was on your list. I sometimes drive in...if I do, I leave by 7am and it takes 15 mins or less. I drove today, my train line is suspended due to flooding as it always is when there is more than 3 nanometres of rain! Despite the crappy weather, still 15 mins later I'm parked in the multi-storey car park in the CBD. If I had written this post last week I could've told you it was only $10 for daily parking too...but it went up to $13 over the weekend!
Yeah, not a recent problem!

Save
Old Apr 11th 2017, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
Well, it's all about the pros and cons. Melbourne has better weather than London, and assuming you can afford decent real estate, you can have a nice garden all year round (I'm able to grow veggies all year 'round). For a city its size, it also has a decent cultural life, and the countryside is in quite close proximity so it's more straightforward to get out of than, say, Sydney.

Melbourne's (and for that matter, Sydney's) transport problems are nothing new. They reflect a combination of physical geography and a history of pretty terrible urban planning and chronic under investment in public transport. The big difference between Melbourne and London is that in London zones 1 & 2, it isn't that difficult to make cross town trips, using a combination of Underground, National Rail and bus. In Melbourne, things are much more on the spoke and hub model. As populations and ways of working and living have changed, the public transport in Melbourne hasn't been updated. So the city is reliant on the car for a lot of its transport.

I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and London. I'd never live in Sydney again (and get annoyed by the traffic whenever I am there and have to leave the CBD). I've thoroughly enjoyed living in Melbourne (I do think it is a nice place to live) and think it has much to recommend it over Sydney as a city in which mostly to work, and live a bit (ie, after work and weekends). Sydney is a great city if you can live beachside or harbourside, and have a lot of leisure time! But to have to commute in Sydney is wretched and past the harbour and beach, I think it is a pretty disagreeable place and choked by traffic even worse than in Melbourne. I loved living in London and would live there again in a heartbeat, but that's not currently part of the future plans (I'm moving to Vancouver for the next part of my life).
Simply, it's relative. To us Londoners, Melbourne seems quite manageable.
For example, I would never drive into London. But I do in Melbourne, and on a weekday. It still feels like it is your city and not owned by tourists. There is still only one 1 CBD. The inner burbs - take your pick.

You just need to learn the ropes : and manage it the best you can.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yeah, not a recent problem!
Ha! Great photo...I've actually seen Windsor station just like this...well, minus the train...but it looked like a canal.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Great photo...I've actually seen Windsor station just like this...well, minus the train...but it looked like a canal.
It is, ta. It never rains like this over on the Williamstown line of course. (I think I got this and hundreds of other old Melbourne photos at one time on Pinterest).
Old Apr 12th 2017, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Simply, it's relative. To us Londoners, Melbourne seems quite manageable.
For example, I would never drive into London. But I do in Melbourne, and on a weekday. It still feels like it is your city and not owned by tourists. There is still only one 1 CBD. The inner burbs - take your pick.

You just need to learn the ropes : and manage it the best you can.
Funnily enough, I can manage driving in London if I have to. Driving in New York is the place that now gives me the heebie jeebies!

You're absolutely right - it's all about learning the ropes and managing things. I definitely agree that once one is living here, Melbourne really does feel like one's own city.
Old May 8th 2017, 9:55 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if you know of the beachside suburbs? Not Brighton or McMansion millionaires row suburbs, but maybe as far down to Torquay on the left and Frankston on the right. (Looking at map and haven't a clue about the areas). Lol.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2017, 10:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very big area. What were you hoping to learn?
Old May 8th 2017, 10:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if you know of the beachside suburbs? Not Brighton or McMansion millionaires row suburbs, but maybe as far down to Torquay on the left and Frankston on the right. (Looking at map and haven't a clue about the areas). Lol.

Thanks
You might call Torquay a beachside suburb of Geelong...but not Melbourne.
Old May 8th 2017, 11:20 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

You might call Torquay a beachside suburb of Geelong...but not Melbourne.
Okaaay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.