Melbourne Suburbs

Melbourne Suburbs

Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:39 pm
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs

Originally Posted by Pomster
Have you considered Altona Meadows?
Older suburb than point cook, but still a new(er) suburb. Most of it is walkable to Laverton station (via a bridge over the freeway) and it has reasonable facilities. One of my mates lives there and even says the internet is good- and you get a lot of house for your money.
Sadly schools are still poor.
I will have a look, schools need to be fairly good and I think the one in point cook is getting pretty ok reviews, and a lot of expats seem to descend there.

Thanks again
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Have you considered Altona Meadows?
Older suburb than point cook, but still a new(er) suburb. Most of it is walkable to Laverton station (via a bridge over the freeway) and it has reasonable facilities. One of my mates lives there and even says the internet is good- and you get a lot of house for your money.
Sadly schools are still poor.
I'd have to say it's more downmarket than Point Cook (and particularly Sanctuary Lakes) - which probably accounts for the generally lower prices. Strangely, more vacant lots in the area than Point Cook, and more tagging in the area (no estate management).

Originally Posted by neil32
Thanks so the Metropolitan myki is all my travel in zone 1 & 2, bus, tram and train
Well, it depends if you pay extra and get the zone 2 - but yes; train, tram, buses within the zones you've paid for, and all day with a daily ticket. Weekends are capped at $3.50 for Zones 1+2 IIRC.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:06 am
Banned

any views on Caroline Springs?...I see this was mentioned in another post.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:14 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I've ever been near there, others may be better informed (I think it was mentioned and described in another thread)
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to ask specific questions about the place. It's a very large housing estate 20ks ish from the CBD. Some nice houses there, it's got supermarkets, schools and good transport links compared to some places. There are literally dozens of places like it in Melbourne and thats where the negativity could start.

If you have to live in a housing estate to get the house you want to live in then it's no worse or much better than any of the other estates dotted around Melbourne.

Positives... Relative proximity to Melbourne, you can buy a very good house quite cheaply.
Negs... Same as most other estates... lack of soul, you absolutely have to have a car for each adult that needs transport in your household, that can work out very expensive, which IMO is where life starts to deteriorate, as it amplifies the remoteness, blandness and lack of infrastructure on these estates.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think you need to ask specific questions about the place. It's a very large housing estate 20ks ish from the CBD. Some nice houses there, it's got supermarkets, schools and good transport links compared to some places. There are literally dozens of places like it in Melbourne and thats where the negativity could start.

If you have to live in a housing estate to get the house you want to live in then it's no worse or much better than any of the other estates dotted around Melbourne.

Positives... Relative proximity to Melbourne, you can buy a very good house quite cheaply.
Negs... Same as most other estates... lack of soul, you absolutely have to have a car for each adult that needs transport in your household, that can work out very expensive, which IMO is where life starts to deteriorate, as it amplifies the remoteness, blandness and lack of infrastructure on these estates.
Thanks...I should have been more specific but I was looking for just a kind of summary which you have done

Looking at different areas you are right there is so many housing estates that all look the same with the same shops etc, be it point cook or another just like it, you could be in any of those. Looking on google maps I can feel the lack of soul, but this is what we can afford and the houses do look nice, and fits in our price.

I suppose my main thing is which place has the best school in the area I can afford, most places all have access to the transport links to the city, but as you said in most cases you have to drive to these links.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just to add, but the reason I ended up where I did (Sanctuary Lakes) was to get away from the 'ticky-tacky' house phenomena. There is a bit more space, a bit more interest and variation if you pick carefully. Saying that, it's a swings and roundabouts - the estate culture gives you estate facilities, people who make sure the graffiti doesn't last long, cuts the grass, etc. - its only really soulless to those with no soul to start with.

Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just to add, but the reason I ended up where I did (Sanctuary Lakes) was to get away from the 'ticky-tacky' house phenomena. There is a bit more space, a bit more interest and variation if you pick carefully. Saying that, it's a swings and roundabouts - the estate culture gives you estate facilities, people who make sure the graffiti doesn't last long, cuts the grass, etc. - its only really soulless to those with no soul to start with.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dOEdEAAQ
I looked at Sanctuary Lakes when it first opened, back in the early to mid nineties I think... some very nice houses there I must say, and I could have done a straight swap with my then 3 bed Victorian doer upper here. (Took me 20 years to take the plunge and do the place up) Was very tempted especially at the ones around the golf course edge. It was too different and too far from everything I knew. The houses were some of the best estate houses I've seen. It didn't help matters that the best houses were around the golf course and I dont play golf, so the big selling point was lost on me.

Incidently I found an even better place in Craigeburn, built by Swiss people with 3 tiers of massive terraces overlooking the city... there must have been 2 large suburban gardens of space in the terraces on this 3 storey place at the back, single story at the front and terraced tiered dgarden, that was a straight swap as well. Craigeburn central is a crap hole at night time though and gotten much worse since I looked, and belied the fantastic houses at Highlands estate.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would concur about what has been said about Sanctuary Lakes. We too looked at it when it first began and seriously considered buying but the only thing which really put us off was that it had so much to be done and built (houses and infrastructure) that we thought it better to look when it was more established. At that time there was little of Point Cook and a relative had a huge farm called Innisfail which is now all houses, roads, shops and schools etc.

Nowadays when we go back to SL's it is amazing how much it has come on since the early days. It has an established feel to it and the facilities are good. Just out of SL's there is a large shopping centre and schools and over at Point Cook town centre there's an even larger shopping centre. It's certainly worth considering but you have to understand it is something akin to Florida resort style living - a complex built around a magnificent golf course. The housing is impressive compared to the surrounding area and you get a lot for your money there compared to other parts of Melbourne.

We were offered a fully furnished 5 bedroomed 2 storey ex-display home overlooking the lake and golf course for just over $100K when we first looked!! (thought it a bit steep at the time).

FWIW, if it was me I'd look at the Sanctuary Lakes part of Point Cook rather than Point Cook itself. There's no such suburb as SL's, it's part of Point Cook 3030.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to give some very specific advise to any migrant.

if you are a migrant who eventually through circumstance decides Australia is not for them then it might well be that the estate is the crowning reason why life began to stink.
Estate life is awful if you decide Australia has no culture, and indeed you rely heavily on internet and (Uk) tv.

just a warning!

To me, a reno in the Eastern burbs is much, much better.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
if you are a migrant who eventually through circumstance decides Australia is not for them then it might well be that the estate is the crowning reason why life began to stink.
Estate life is awful if you decide Australia has no culture, and indeed you rely heavily on internet and (Uk) tv.

just a warning!

And I'd tend to say the reverse. Australia has some advantages over the UK - it's silly not to take advantage of them - and non-shoebox houses are one.

If you are going to find things about Australia begin to stink, you are likely to find in in some of the people here (casual racist attitudes, crass customer service, backstabbing businessmen). Don't let a crappy, draughty, overpriced reno be an avoidable one of them.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Suburbs

And I'd tend to say the reverse. Australia has some advantages over the UK - it's silly not to take advantage of them - and non-shoebox houses are one.

If you are going to find things about Australia begin to stink, you are likely to find in in some of the people here (casual racist attitudes, crass customer service, backstabbing businessmen). Don't let a crappy, draughty, overpriced reno be an avoidable one of them.
You just totally misunderstood what Badgeisback just said.

He doesn't have any issue with large modern Australian houses. It's just that most of these are located in crappy estates with no infrastructure, where nobody walks anywhere, they are deserted during daylight hours etc etc.

The perfect compromise is a modern house in an older established area.

BB
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You just totally misunderstood what Badgeisback just said.

He doesn't have any issue with large modern Australian houses. It's just that most of these are located in crappy estates with no infrastructure, where nobody walks anywhere, they are deserted during daylight hours etc etc.

The perfect compromise is a modern house in an older established area.

BB
like yours, even?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's OK - you are entitled to your opinion - and I take your point
but these issues you point out could be found nicely in your estate!

Besides, this is not about you, this is about the things many people complain about - and souless Australia is one of them.

Housing stock is the least of my troubles - as BB points out - it's just one of those things that established suburbs have older houses.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
it might well be that the estate is the crowning reason why life began to stink. Estate life is awful if you decide Australia has no culture, and indeed you rely heavily on internet and (Uk) tv.

Agree on both points

Being in a Victorian I feel no draft, in summer its cool, in winter its snug.

I prefer being 20 mins by tram or 10 mins by train or 5 mins by car from work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.