Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburbs

Melbourne Suburbs

Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs

Originally Posted by neil32
any views on Caroline Springs?...I see this was mentioned in another post.
Certainly have views on it. What city do you live in UK?

Point Cook could be compared a new town like Basildon. All new housing but with dire transport.

Caroline Springs also new but more remote.

Demographics I would guess mainly young couples / families, largely blue collar workers and young professionals in first homes.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's OK - you are entitled to your opinion - and I take your point but these issues you point out could be found nicely in your estate!

Besides, this is not about you, this is about the things many people complain about - and souless Australia is one of them.
I recognise there are different perceptions, different balances of desired characteristics - just I seem to be one of the few here that comes down on preferring the suburbs to the grungy inner stuff - so I feel I have to point up there's another PoV (and a fairly popular one, given the number of estate inhabitants).

I guess it stems from having lived in central London for a while - somewhere that would leave Melbourne standing for culture, things going on, and a particular type of soul/heart. At the same time, central cities can be incredible soulless - for a particular meaning of the word - you can never be more alone than in that kind of crowd.

As I said above, in the end the suburbs/estates are only soulless if you are. Organised and structured they maybe - but to me that's an advantage.

To give a metaphor - you can bemoan a living room wall painted magnolia as boring in lacking in soul. It's up to you if you want to hang an artwork on that wall, maybe some lighting, or a palm ...... or keep staring at the beige.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I recognise there are different perceptions, different balances of desired characteristics - just I seem to be one of the few here that comes down on preferring the suburbs to the grungy inner stuff - so I feel I have to point up there's another PoV (and a fairly popular one, given the number of estate inhabitants).

I guess it stems from having lived in central London for a while - somewhere that would leave Melbourne standing for culture, things going on, and a particular type of soul/heart. At the same time, central cities can be incredible soulless - for a particular meaning of the word - you can never be more alone than in that kind of crowd.

As I said above, in the end the suburbs/estates are only soulless if you are. Organised and structured they maybe - but to me that's an advantage.

To give a metaphor - you can bemoan a living room wall painted magnolia as boring in lacking in soul. It's up to you if you want to hang an artwork on that wall, maybe some lighting, or a palm ...... or keep staring at the beige.

I see what you mean about being alone in a city full of culture like London.
A new take on something that comes up occasionally.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Point Cook for 4 years and really don't have anything bad to say about it at all, in fact it's a very nice suburb, with what appear to be a lot of very nice people, especially if you are a family. Quite a bit of community spirit too I've noticed.

If you work 9-5 in the city the drive would suck, the trains would be much better. (if I need to go in I go to Hoppers Crossing)

Certainly not lacking in shops or facilities, clubs etc
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:59 pm
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Lived in Point Cook for 4 years and really don't have anything bad to say about it at all, in fact it's a very nice suburb, with what appear to be a lot of very nice people, especially if you are a family. Quite a bit of community spirit too I've noticed.

If you work 9-5 in the city the drive would suck, the trains would be much better. (if I need to go in I go to Hoppers Crossing)

Certainly not lacking in shops or facilities, clubs etc
Thanks for the info all helpful. Point cook seems to be a good place for starters, everyone so far has said its nice for families and schools.

To be honest it is ticking the boxes in our price range, it would be nice to live in a built up established part as we do in the UK, but for Oz it will be a struggle at first and it seems a good a place as any to start out.

It would be a big change for us as we stay in an established part of my city, all be it still a part 6-7 miles from the city center but the transport links etc are in place have have been for a very long time, as have schools etc...but I guess that is what the move is all about...a bit of change and hopefully in the long term for the better.

I may be further out from the city, and life there may have that remote estate feel about it, but its what you make of it and at the end of the day the weather is always gonna be better than here (well mostly!)
Old Jun 14th 2013, 12:34 am
Banned

Can anyone share there experiences on schools in point cook? which is best, any to really avoid?

The link below I think is a little out of date...but are these still the zones?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl...1d0936b698e04a

struggling to make sense of the below link...7-9 key, is seabrook school only P-6, if so where do seabrook go for 7-9 Carranballac?

http://www.carranballac.vic.edu.au/L...U%3d&tabid=233

This link makes it slight clearly for zones

http://www.pcc.vic.edu.au/enrolment/

So from what I have found out there are the following primary schools

Seabrook - is this P-6 or P-9?
Point Cook College - P-9
Carranballac College - both (boardwalk and Jamieson Way) merged, but still have 2 school buildings. Are these the same boundaries as first link above?
Point Cook South East - Is this open yet? This will take intake from some of the green zone on first link

Last edited by neil32; Jun 14th 2013 at 12:40 am.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:50 am
Banned

Can anyone share there experiences on schools in point cook? which is best, any to really avoid?

The link below I think is a little out of date...but are these still the zones?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl...1d0936b698e04a

struggling to make sense of the below link...7-9 key, is seabrook school only P-6, if so where do seabrook go for 7-9 Carranballac?

http://www.carranballac.vic.edu.au/L...U%3d&tabid=233

This link makes it slight clearly for zones

http://www.pcc.vic.edu.au/enrolment/

So from what I have found out there are the following primary schools

Seabrook - is this P-6 or P-9?
Point Cook College - P-9
Carranballac College - both (boardwalk and Jamieson Way) merged, but still have 2 school buildings. Are these the same boundaries as first link above?
Point Cook South East - Is this open yet? This will take intake from some of the green zone on first link
I've also found another Alamanda Primary School or is this another name for Point Cook South East?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've also found another Alamanda Primary School or is this another name for Point Cook South East?
There's also these http://www.saltwatercoast.com.au/201...-14-11/schools

I think the Alamanda one is the PCSE one, but as I say, its not something I have to deal with.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Certainly have views on it. What city do you live in UK?

Point Cook could be compared a new town like Basildon. All new housing but with dire transport.

Caroline Springs also new but more remote.

Demographics I would guess mainly young couples / families, largely blue collar workers and young professionals in first homes.
Probably bang on.

+ Proximity to city outside rush hour could be a God send!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:53 am
Banned

There's also these http://www.saltwatercoast.com.au/201...-14-11/schools

I think the Alamanda one is the PCSE one, but as I say, its not something I have to deal with.
PCSE??

So it appears more primary schools are being built within certain estates i.e saltwatercaost
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

PCSE??

So it appears more primary schools are being built within certain estates i.e saltwatercaost
Point Cook South East

Yep, they are being built in various spots. My guess is the Saltwater Coast one will take Sanctuary Lakes lot as well, with Alamanda taking the various estates along Snedes Rd.

There's also this one, which I think you're missing http://www.smpointcookwest.catholic..../p/our-school/

and I'm not sure you have this one either http://www.pointcooksenior.vic.edu.au/

This site might help some https://www.facebook.com/groups/MumsInPointCookVIC/
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:34 am
Banned

Point Cook South East

Yep, they are being built in various spots. My guess is the Saltwater Coast one will take Sanctuary Lakes lot as well, with Alamanda taking the various estates along Snedes Rd.

There's also this one, which I think you're missing http://www.smpointcookwest.catholic..../p/our-school/

and I'm not sure you have this one either http://www.pointcooksenior.vic.edu.au/

This site might help some https://www.facebook.com/groups/MumsInPointCookVIC/
Thanks

I thought that one was also PCSE...

I never included the Catholic ones as I believe these are private i.e fee paying

I had seen the point cook senior which seems to be the main one they all go to for yr 10,11,12
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

asmgx is an unknown quantity at this point

try Doncaster

Hi,

Looking for the names of some nice family friendly Melbourne suburbs also with good nursery's and schools.

Looking at about 25-30km out of the city, 3 bedroom house at about $400 per week

Suburbs I've looked at so far some in my price range some over are

Point Cook
Yarraville
Mordialloc
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asmgx
try Doncaster
Only problem with Doncaster is that there is no train route up that way so you are reliant on buses coming into the city along the Eastern Freeway. Its fine if you're not working in the city, but not so good for commuting.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Only problem with Doncaster is that there is no train route up that way so you are reliant on buses coming into the city along the Eastern Freeway. Its fine if you're not working in the city, but not so good for commuting.
Not too far from Box hill though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.