Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburbs 45 min to CBD

Melbourne Suburbs 45 min to CBD

Old May 20th 2006, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice
Smile Melbourne Suburbs 45 min to CBD

Hi
My partner and I are moving to melbourne (hopefully!!). We will be renting for a bit as we are on a 457 visa.
Does anyone have any advice on suburbs? We are looking for a 2 bedroom flat/apartment/house. Looking at about $300 per week. Ideally within a 45 minute to hour max commute to the CBD. Would ideally like to be near the beach but not the main priority. We have no children so no need to worry about schools!
Any suggestions of where to look or indeed to avoid!

Thanks and for you all!

Cheers

pen8uin
Old May 20th 2006, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs 45 min to CBD

Originally Posted by pen8uin
Hi
My partner and I are moving to melbourne (hopefully!!). We will be renting for a bit as we are on a 457 visa.
Does anyone have any advice on suburbs? We are looking for a 2 bedroom flat/apartment/house. Looking at about $300 per week. Ideally within a 45 minute to hour max commute to the CBD. Would ideally like to be near the beach but not the main priority. We have no children so no need to worry about schools!
Any suggestions of where to look or indeed to avoid!

Thanks and for you all!

Cheers

pen8uin
Hoppers Crossing, nice area (ish) cheap housing just about everything you could need a short drive or train journey away....not going to say areas to avoid as some people get a bit touchy about this lol
Old May 20th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

A couple without kids wanting a beach and shortish commute. Well reading between the lines I suppose you'll want to be able to go out at night, get back home easily. If the suburb has lots of places to go out all the better - no need to worry about kids. At $300 per week you have a lot of options. You should be able to all this within a 30 min commute to the CBD.

A good start would be Elwood in the inner south east. Has a very reasonable beach and a good cafe culture. I has a quick look on realestate.com.au and there is plenty to choose from. Didn't check on prices, but maybe you could look at St Kilda, or Williamstown?

Although I do not live in Hoppers Crossing, I do live in a suburb not wholly dissimilar - family orientated, reasonable cost housing with reasonable links into the city. But with respect to the previous respondant, I'm not so sure that as a childless couple with disposable income I'd be making a beeline for my suburb or Hoppers Crossing or anything of that ilk.

That said, the problem is that when living in funky central areas is that you can can used to that lifestyle, which is fine if you can afford to buy there if/when you have kids, but a bit of a wrench if you can't and must leave to more affordable areas.

So in short, start with Elwood/St Kilda and so how you go.

www.realestate.com.au

Neil
Old May 20th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Mordialloc (spelling!) up to BonBeach (& maybe Patterson Lakes). These are the only areas I have experience of - but we were searching for a rental around that price range - and you can certainly get properties for that price here. Chelsea I know best, a few winos around and a bit rough around some edges, but up and coming I believe (and the beach is fab!). I also like Mordialloc as it has a pretty river running into the sea - a good mixture of characters there too.

Rachel

P.S. Williamstown is lovely - but you wouldn't get much for $300. Further down I think you are struggling a bit beach-wise (but pleased to be corrected as haven't explored that much that side).
Old May 20th 2006, 11:11 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, listen to Wongston. With $300 you will have no problems finding something to suit anywhere around the bay (including Williamstown). The West is ok but not as happening as the some other areas. We lived in Williamstown which was beautiful but a bit quiet for us (couple with no kids). We moved to Elsternwick, which is next to Elwood, we are about 5-10 minutes drive from the beach (30-40 minutes walk), 20 minutes to the CBD, 10 minutes to Chapel Street, 10 minutes to Chadstone, 15 minutes to Richmond/Hawthorn etc. If walking distance to the sea is your priority then $300 a week will give you no problems. But you will get a lot more for your money if you move just the slightest bit inland.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Yep, listen to Wongston. With $300 you will have no problems finding something to suit anywhere around the bay (including Williamstown). The West is ok but not as happening as the some other areas. We lived in Williamstown which was beautiful but a bit quiet for us (couple with no kids). We moved to Elsternwick, which is next to Elwood, we are about 5-10 minutes drive from the beach (30-40 minutes walk), 20 minutes to the CBD, 10 minutes to Chapel Street, 10 minutes to Chadstone, 15 minutes to Richmond/Hawthorn etc. If walking distance to the sea is your priority then $300 a week will give you no problems. But you will get a lot more for your money if you move just the slightest bit inland.
Believe me - cause we have looked - Williamstown for $300 is not easy - there is a 2 bed townhouse there for $295. Depends what you are looking for. Check out realestate.com.au and you will see what I mean.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:43 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Believe me - cause we have looked - Williamstown for $300 is not easy - there is a 2 bed townhouse there for $295. Depends what you are looking for. Check out realestate.com.au and you will see what I mean.
I lived there for a year last year, $230 per week for a 2 bedroomed weatherboard. The nearer the bay the harder it is, but $300 shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 21st 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I lived there for a year last year, $230 per week for a 2 bedroomed weatherboard. The nearer the bay the harder it is, but $300 shouldn't be a problem.
OK you like to prove your point - I'm just trying to help with our recent experience. Best for them to check out the websites - as they know what sort of property they are looking for. You can get cheap rentals in most areas - we were looking at around $300-$340 and we found nothing suitable in Feb/March this year.
Best of luck with your search - you'll find somewhere decent in a good area, I'm sure!