Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburb, places in 30 Min reach from CBD by train

Melbourne suburb, places in 30 Min reach from CBD by train

Old May 6th 2005, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

prem_career is on a distinguished road
Default Melbourne suburb, places in 30 Min reach from CBD by train

Can anyone suggest a place in 30 Min reach from CBD preferable by train? The following are the names of suburb I got from the net.

Northern Suburbs

Carlton
Carlton South
Coburg North
Collingwood
Fitzroy
Fitzroy North
Heidelberg West
Kingsbury
Preston
Reservoir
Thomastow Car Wash
Thomastown (High St)

Southern Suburbs
Chadstone
Doveton
Dromana
Ferntree Gully
Mt. Eliza
Mulgrave
Springvale South
Wantirna South

Eastern Suburbs
Bayswater
Box Hill
Box Hill South
Burwood
Burwood East
Croydon
Doncaster
Fairfield
Glen Iris
Kew East
Prahran
Richmond (Church St.)
Richmond (Swan St.)

Western Suburbs
Braybrook
Brooklyn
Deer Park
Gladstone Park
Norlane (Geelong)
Sunbury
Sunshine
Old May 6th 2005, 4:37 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne suburb, places in 30 Min reach from CBD by train

Caulfield, Sandown, Moonee Ponds, Flemington....

You didn't say what you wanted to know for so I assumed you meant where are the race tracks.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJJ
Caulfield, Sandown, Moonee Ponds, Flemington....

You didn't say what you wanted to know for so I assumed you meant where are the race tracks.
NJJ

I want to know places in 30 Min reach from CBD so that I can search for a accomodation in net.

Regards
Prem
Old May 6th 2005, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prem_career
NJJ

I want to know places in 30 Min reach from CBD so that I can search for a accomodation in net.

Regards
Prem
A wide choice of locations there! We are in Ivanhoe, 22 mins to CBD on the train and also within zone 1 (ticket will cost more if you go out to zone 2)
Pootle
Old May 6th 2005, 5:02 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

NJJ

Regards
Prem

oh, ok. what sort of price range? are you looking for a hotel/flat/house? would you prefer a "family friendly" e.g. with playgrounds and things for children or is this not important? anything to help us narrow down your search!!
Old May 6th 2005, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pootle
A wide choice of locations there! We are in Ivanhoe, 22 mins to CBD on the train and also within zone 1 (ticket will cost more if you go out to zone 2)
Pootle

I love Ivanhoe!! I grew up around that area in Rosanna & Heidelburg.

Not a cheap area to live anymore!
Old May 6th 2005, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJJ
oh, ok. what sort of price range? are you looking for a hotel/flat/house? would you prefer a "family friendly" e.g. with playgrounds and things for children or is this not important? anything to help us narrow down your search!!
Initially I am looking for a sharing accomodation, I will be in Melbourne this July, wife and son will join me after 3 months of my arrival.

Price range not sure about, what could be the price range for a decent sharing accomocation any idea?

Regards
Prem
Old May 6th 2005, 6:04 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Initially I am looking for a sharing accomodation, I will be in Melbourne this July, wife and son will join me after 3 months of my arrival.

Price range not sure about, what could be the price range for a decent sharing accomocation any idea?

Regards
Prem

when i lived in a shared house in Melbourne I paid $150 per week incl. bills. This was in east burwood area though so it may be a bit far out of the city for you. It was about 45-50mins by tram 75 to flinders street.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJJ
when i lived in a shared house in Melbourne I paid $150 per week incl. bills. This was in east burwood area though so it may be a bit far out of the city for you. It was about 45-50mins by tram 75 to flinders street.
Initially travelling for 45-50 Mins should not be a problem, after my family reaches I don't think it will be ok.

how about deer park area
Old May 6th 2005, 6:37 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Initially travelling for 45-50 Mins should not be a problem, after my family reaches I don't think it will be ok.

how about deer park area

I don't know too much about that side of the city.. I have spent more time on the eastern side of the city though. the britvics forum http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/ might give you more insight to this area, there has been lots of discussion on suburbs on there.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I love Ivanhoe!! I grew up around that area in Rosanna & Heidelburg.

Not a cheap area to live anymore!
Quite correct unfortuantely Hels, prices now start at 550,000 Aud there, and go right through to close to 2 mill.

Most of zone 2 on the transport, is the answer that Prem Career is possibly looking for.

Plus All of the Northern subs, are well within the 30 mins, and most of the western ones listed, with the exception of Norlane, which is in Geelong, and Sunbury, I think Deer Park just scrapes it in.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=prem_career]Can anyone suggest a place in 30 Min reach from CBD preferable by train? The following are the names of suburb I got from the net.

Eastern Suburbs
Bayswater
Croydon

Both Bayswater and Croydon are about 50 minutes away from the CBD on the train and just as long in the car - maybe longer depending on the traffic and the time of the day.

Regards
Old May 6th 2005, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJJ
I don't know too much about that side of the city.. I have spent more time on the eastern side of the city though. the britvics forum http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/ might give you more insight to this area, there has been lots of discussion on suburbs on there.
Thanks NJJ
Old May 6th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite correct unfortuantely Hels, prices now start at 550,000 Aud there, and go right through to close to 2 mill.

Most of zone 2 on the transport, is the answer that Prem Career is possibly looking for.

Plus All of the Northern subs, are well within the 30 mins, and most of the western ones listed, with the exception of Norlane, which is in Geelong, and Sunbury, I think Deer Park just scrapes it in.
Northern suburbs might workout for me, need to find once I am there

Thanks ozzieeagle for the information

Regards
Prem
Old May 6th 2005, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Suburbs
Carlton
Carlton South
Coburg North
Collingwood
Fitzroy
Fitzroy North
Heidelberg West
Kingsbury
Preston
Reservoir
Thomastow Car Wash
Thomastown (High St)

Southern Suburbs
Chadstone
Doveton
Mulgrave
Springvale South
Wantirna South

Eastern Suburbs
Bayswater
Doncaster
Fairfield
Glen Iris
Kew East
Prahran
Richmond (Church St.)
Richmond (Swan St.)

Western Suburbs
Braybrook
Brooklyn
Deer Park
Gladstone Park

I reckon the above are within or just over the 30 mins by train. Thomastown Car Wash station is a new one on me! Gladstone Park is north; you haven't got anything on the Williamstown line which are all under 30 mins, after Footscray it's Seddon, Yarraville, Spotswood, Newport, North Williamstown, Williamstown Beach. I wouldn't choose Braybrook, Brooklyn Deer Park and Springvale Sth from these. There are about 9 train lines out of the CBD, many of them not covered in your list.

Of course you could live 30 minutes walk from a station which is 30 minutes to the CBD and next door to a station which is 1 hour to the CBD - no diff in terms of time! House door to work door time is perhaps more relevant than train times.

Have a look at http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au and click on the maps to the left; look at http://www.domain.com.au or http://www.realestate.com.au for rental properties after picking inner suburbs from the map.

Good luck.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.