Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburb Information

Melbourne Suburb Information

Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

fezbro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Suburb Information

My wife and I are applying for our visa, and we've settled on moving to Melbourne, but we're struggling to fine any information about the suburbs in and around it. We're after info like schools (primary at the mo - daughters only 4 months old!), crime rates, and what people feel about the various areas? Does anyone know of any web sites that may be able to provide us with any sort of info? Any help would be great!

Chris
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne Suburb Information

Originally Posted by fezbro
My wife and I are applying for our visa, and we've settled on moving to Melbourne, but we're struggling to fine any information about the suburbs in and around it. We're after info like schools (primary at the mo - daughters only 4 months old!), crime rates, and what people feel about the various areas? Does anyone know of any web sites that may be able to provide us with any sort of info? Any help would be great!

Chris

Someone posted this a while back and I found it really useful, it is from 2005 though so a little out of date, but should still give you some ideas to get started
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Liveable areas of Melbourne.pdf (107.4 KB, 637 views)
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Chris
Hop over here and say hello:-

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:40 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Chris
Just a warning - take crime stats with a pinch of salt. Some very nice areas have high crime stats because burglars travel.

Use www.realestate.com.au when you select a property it does give you the ability to view details about that particular suburb - but it tends too only show you details about the demographics.

You need to narrow down a part of Melbourne and then people in those areas can provide more indepth knowledge about suburbs within that area.

Think:
1] Mornington Pensulia - Mt Martha, Mt Eliza, Frankston
2] Bayside - Brighton, Hampton, Beaumaris
3] Inner East - Camberwell, Hawthorn, Elsternwick, Malvern, Armadale, Glen Iris, Mount Waverley, Glen Waverley.
4] Outter East - Pakeham, Berwick
5] North West - Inner, Taylor Lakes, Sunshine,
6] North West - Bayside, Williamstown, Point Cook, Newtown
7] Geelong
8] North East - Eltham, Templestow, Doncaster,

There are plenty of other areas but these may get you going and I am sure others will have some to add. Keep the search option open and it will include other nearby areas.

When you select a property it will also show you how far it is from the CBD (and you can view a map to get an indication of distance from the sea etc.

Another useful site is www.routeplanner.com.au which allows you to enter st
art and end locations and it shows you best route in km and time.
http://www3.visitvictoria.com/displayObject.cfm/ObjectID.0000B41D-D36D-1A88-8B4680C476A9047C/vvt.vhtml
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

venus1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Someone posted this a while back and I found it really useful, it is from 2005 though so a little out of date, but should still give you some ideas to get started
Thanks hereshoping for the useful link above but unfortunately I don't understand the statistics . Help
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:00 am
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice

Hi -
it depends upon how much money you have to buy/rent.
We have stayed bayside because we love the beaches - but if you move into the inner suburbs you would have to drive.
Although the traffic is much better out here - there is still traffic and now we are really glad that the beach is only a 6 minute drive.
When you look at the house prices - if it goes to auction then it usually goes for more than the estimate - sometimes $50-$100 thousand more. They say that the housing market will consolidate now and that should hopefully stop the prices rocketing up.
My commute to the city is about 45 minutes -1hour and that is plenty (only work part time) I wouldn't recommend the mount martha/mornington area as the commute is really too much.
melbourne is a great city for families with loads to do - we love it here, but as you know it is really hard to choose where to go, even now we wonder if this was the right suburb, but if you look at the schools online and the suburbs online and then try to make a shortlist. - it does all depend on what you can afford!
realestate.com is good for sales and already sold
good luck!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Think:
1] Mornington Pensulia - Mt Martha, Mt Eliza, Frankston
2] Bayside - Brighton, Hampton, Beaumaris
3] Inner East - Camberwell, Hawthorn, Elsternwick, Malvern, Armadale, Glen Iris, Mount Waverley, Glen Waverley.
4] Outter East - Pakeham, Berwick
5] North West - Inner, Taylor Lakes, Sunshine,
6] North West - Bayside, Williamstown, Point Cook, Newtown
7] Geelong
8] North East - Eltham, Templestow, Doncaster,
Good list - I would also add

9] The villages around the base of the Dandenong Ranges. Upwey, Tecoma, Upper Ferntree Gully, The Basin, Montrose, Mount Evelyn. Still good prices to be found (though climbing!) - about 45 min commute to CBD and beach (beach commute will reduce to closer to 30mins once East Link is open).
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:37 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Good list - I would also add

9] The villages around the base of the Dandenong Ranges. Upwey, Tecoma, Upper Ferntree Gully, The Basin, Montrose, Mount Evelyn. Still good prices to be found (though climbing!) - about 45 min commute to CBD and beach (beach commute will reduce to closer to 30mins once East Link is open).
OP I would put 9 up to the top of the list
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

sally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nice

We found it very difficult to get impartial info on web sites and stats don't really mean much.

We spent a few weeks in the city as a base, so we could get to see different suburbs. There are lots of nice areas close to the CBD e.g. south yarra, richmond, prahan. I would say that you can't really go wrong with the SE suburbs, but it's personal preference i suppose.
- best of luck!
S