British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne Suburb???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-suburb-465825/)

kflee0 Jul 13th 2007 9:07 am

Melbourne Suburb????

Hello members,

I need some advice on where to live. My wife has a job offer in Melbourne CBD and I might have something in Castlemaine (121km Northwest of Melbourne). We're thinking of living somewhere in between so none of us will have to travel too far.

Does anyone know which is a nice place to settle down? From the map, I see Sunbury, Gisborne, Riddell, Macedon, Woodend, Kyneton.

We're in our early 30s, with no children. I prefer a bigger city, not some place that's rural or in a country. And maybe with lots of shopping malls, good restaurants and things to do.

Thanks in advance.
Mike :thumbup:

birdynumnum Jul 13th 2007 9:15 am

Re: Melbourne Suburb????

Originally Posted by kflee0 (Post 5048843)
Hello members,

I need some advice on where to live. My wife has a job offer in Melbourne CBD and I might have something in Castlemaine (121km Northwest of Melbourne). We're thinking of living somewhere in between so none of us will have to travel too far.

Does anyone know which is a nice place to settle down? From the map, I see Sunbury, Gisborne, Riddell, Macedon, Woodend, Kyneton.

We're in our early 30s, with no children. I prefer a bigger city, not some place that's rural or in a country. And maybe with lots of shopping malls, good restaurants and things to do.

Thanks in advance.

Stick to the burbs close to city or you'll feel like you've retired then....
others'll be along to give good advice but I'd deffo stay innerish

kflee0 Jul 13th 2007 9:31 am

Thanks, birdy. Is it really that bad once I'm far away from the city? I haven't had the chance to travel much in Australia. But I realize that people like to stay close to the metro areas.

Mike :unsure:

birdynumnum Jul 13th 2007 9:37 am

Originally Posted by kflee0 (Post 5048929)
Thanks, birdy. Is it really that bad once I'm far away from the city? I haven't had the chance to travel much in Australia. But I realize that people like to stay close to the metro areas.

Mike :unsure:

pm'd you

Weirdstone Jul 13th 2007 9:39 am

Elsternwick, Caulfield, Port Melboune, South Yarra, Middlepark, Brighton, Sandringham, Hampton.

All great areas - and within a decent communtable distance to CBD & sea :)

Geelong Gent Jul 13th 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5048958)
Elsternwick, Caulfield, Port Melboune, South Yarra, Middlepark, Brighton, Sandringham, Hampton.

All great areas - and within a decent communtable distance to CBD & sea :)

Cas, nice for his wife but I think that would be a commute from hell to Castlemaine.

Mike, any chance you could get a job in Melbourne? As Cas suggests these suburbs would be better suited to you and wife. Elsternwick is very nice and well known for its coffee cafes, and restaurants).

Originally Posted by kflee0;
My wife has a job offer in Melbourne CBD and I might have something in Castlemaine (121km Northwest of Melbourne).

kflee0 Jul 13th 2007 10:19 am

anybody else, please!!!

Bhoywonder Jul 13th 2007 10:24 am

Hello members,

Thanks in advance.

You should have a look on here for some answers, http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1

Weirdstone Jul 13th 2007 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5049069)
Cas, nice for his wife but I think that would be a commute from hell to Castlemaine.

Mike, any chance you could get a job in Melbourne? As Cas suggests these suburbs would be better suited to you and wife. Elsternwick is very nice and well known for its coffee cafes, and restaurants).

Whoops...didn't read that correctly :o

andydon Jul 13th 2007 10:27 am

mike

When i was looking at Mebourne i used this guide to look at area's, someone else posted it on here a while back. Might help might not.

Cheers

AndyD

kflee0 Jul 13th 2007 10:42 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your response. What about Melton? I see a lot of new houses being built there. It's still a long commute for me but Melbourne is only 40km away.

What about Gisborne??

Thanks a lot,
Mike :zzz:

Bhoywonder Jul 13th 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by kflee0 (Post 5049140)
Hi all,

Thanks for your response. What about Melton? I see a lot of new houses being built there. It's still a long commute for me but Melbourne is only 40km away.

What about Gisborne??

Thanks a lot,

Mike have a look at the link I provided, there are many people on there from the areas you are talking about that can give you precise information.

Weirdstone Jul 13th 2007 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kflee0 (Post 5049140)
Hi all,

What about Gisborne??

Thanks a lot,

I know I read you opening post incorrectly...but - another bit of advice.
Don't look at distance ...consider which roads you'll both be driving on...esp into the CBD - a long, long commute time is not good every day.

BadgeIsBack Jul 13th 2007 11:12 am

The fringe areas can be very bland. We occasionally shop in them and it can be quite depressing.

Having said that, most people who choose outer Melbourne do because they want acreage and a unique lifestyle - unless you aspire to this, I would stay within 15k -20 tops. One thing or the other.

There was an article on Domain which explained why so many Australians don't want to be too far from the city.

Ozzidoc Jul 13th 2007 5:57 pm

Hello members,

Thanks in advance.

It's been said before....sorry, but you cant have jobs in these two different areas AND the lifestyle that you are wanting. The commute to CBD from Macedon isnt bad, nor Sunbury...but I've no idea as to how long it would take to get to Castlemaine from there....too long by my reckoning.. NOne of the towns you have listed are at all happening.....Sunbury & Gisbourne may have the shopping malls though?