Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne School disgrace

Melbourne School disgrace

Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne School disgrace

I read this and it's turned my stomach. There's a poor boy in this school being repeatedly bullied and it seems they doing little to stop it.

No amount of wealth can guarantee a decent education but I suspect those paying $30,000 a year weren't paying to have their kids at home......

One of Melbourne's most prestigious schools has kicked out its entire Year 12 class on the eve of exams after a wild muck-up day.

Xavier College took the extraordinary step of suspending up to 250 students from their final three days of term following an unruly ball game and reports of drunken behaviour.

Students playing "jockball", a contact game that resembles rugby, led to a 17-year-old boy sustaining serious injuries.

Conflicting reports claim the student suffered either a broken collarbone or multiple leg fractures.

He was taken to the Epworth Hospital by ambulance.

Nine News reported that the injured boy is the same child who featured in the notorious wheelie-bin bullying video that was posted on the internet last year.

The blurry clip, recorded on a mobile phone, showed a boy wearing a Xavier blazer seemingly forced into a bin which was kicked and knocked over by a gang of cheering students.

While the school controversially claimed the video was merely "a group of friends who were role-playing", five boys were suspended over the incident.

The suspended students have been told they must contact their teachers via email with any pre-exam questions and will be permitted to meet them during the Swotvac week.

There were also claims that several Xavier students were "blind drunk" and terrorised the school's neighbours in the affluent suburb of Kew.

A nearby resident said he phoned the school at about 3pm after a group of apparently drunken boys drinking from wine casks were "urinating all over the neighbours' houses", The Age reports.

"Unfortunately during lunchtime today a large number of Year 12 students exhibited unacceptable behaviour and as a consequence the decision was taken to cancel classes this afternoon, tomorrow and Wednesday," Xavier's director of development, Graham Sharp, said in a statement.

"The decision was taken in the best interest of students at all levels."

The Catholic boys school, which charges over $30,000 a year for a boarding student, was also criticised last year for not alerting police to a Year 11 student who was expelled for dealing marijuana.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne School disgrace

Yea - it's a rotten old world isn't it - rich kids at a rich kids school being tools - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3548632.ece ...

What's your point?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

A whole bunch of teenagers aged 17/18 getting totally off their heads and being arseholes.....who'd have thunk it??
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
A whole bunch of teenagers aged 17/18 getting totally off their heads and being arseholes.....who'd have thunk it??
I know - I can't imagine such horrible http://m6live.harrowtimes.co.uk/news...arson_attacks/ behaviour. It really is a crappy old world.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I know - I can't imagine such horrible http://m6live.harrowtimes.co.uk/news...arson_attacks/ behaviour. It really is a crappy old world.

I reckon they did well getting to that age before they went off the rails. The ones I knew at school were doing that sort of stuff at 13 and that was just the girls
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Wendy
I reckon they did well getting to that age before they went off the rails. The ones I knew at school were doing that sort of stuff at 13 and that was just the girls
Totally! But surely it's not the sort of thing http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1596698.ece that happens regularly, is it? You know - beastly behaviour at snobby fee paying schools?