British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne school costs on student visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-school-costs-student-visa-624361/)

fairygodmother Aug 7th 2009 1:33 pm

Melbourne school costs on student visa?

Hi all,

Am looking for advice from anyone who's in Melbourne on the Student Visa route with kids.

Am well aware of the costs involved etc, but just want to find out exactly how much anyone paid for Catholic school (primary) education. I know it's higher than normal for Student Visa holders but would appreciate a round figure anyone has actually used.

Thanks

Kingseat Aug 7th 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Melbourne school costs on student visa?

hhmm, not sure anyone is studying in Melbourne but I may be wrong. I think it is around £8,000 in Perth if that helps with an average.

fairygodmother Aug 7th 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks Kingseat,

yeah, have done quite of bit of searching looking for an answer but cant seem to find anyone studying in Melb with kids!!

You're going for student visa too, right? Are you's heading for Brisbane then?

Cheers again

Kingseat Aug 7th 2009 1:59 pm

That's right but we're in Perth. Hubby starts next week!

UK-2-OZ Aug 7th 2009 11:57 pm

We have a family currently here in Melbourne with 4 children, they are on a student visa and the costs involved are very high, especially when you times it by 4:ohmy:
There idea was to opt for the Catholic Education as they thought they would only need to pay the $3k a year, unfortunately this fee is a subsidised fee so they would still be looking at paying the full education fees. Which when they were looking last year it was:
Prep- G6 $6180
Yr7 - Yr10 $8190
Yr11 - Yr12 $9170 (For VCE years there is also an additional VCE Enrolment Fee)

You cannot change schools within the first 6 months if you change after this time a fee of $500 is payable. You also need to maintain an 80% attendance record.

Hope this helps, I still have all the forms and paperwork with the fees involved etc, so if you need a copy just drop me an email.:thumbup:

Carlton Cold's Aug 9th 2009 6:31 am

We r also here in melbourne on a student visa with two boys aged 11 & 9 yrs and school fees are a killer, thankfully only 6months left and then we can consider which visa option to apply for afterwards.. All I would say is that the victorian education authorities arent exactly the best for sending out invoices, so even though you've got to pay the fees at some stage, it maybe a year later than expected if you know I mean...

Good luck with your plans..

fairygodmother Aug 9th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ (Post 7823505)
We have a family currently here in Melbourne with 4 children, they are on a student visa and the costs involved are very high, especially when you times it by 4:ohmy:
There idea was to opt for the Catholic Education as they thought they would only need to pay the $3k a year, unfortunately this fee is a subsidised fee so they would still be looking at paying the full education fees. Which when they were looking last year it was:
Prep- G6 $6180
Yr7 - Yr10 $8190
Yr11 - Yr12 $9170 (For VCE years there is also an additional VCE Enrolment Fee)

You cannot change schools within the first 6 months if you change after this time a fee of $500 is payable. You also need to maintain an 80% attendance record.

Hope this helps, I still have all the forms and paperwork with the fees involved etc, so if you need a copy just drop me an email.:thumbup:

Hi UK-2-Oz,

Thanks a million for your reply, we've already put aside $16,000.00 allowing for 2 years fees going on the $8,000.00 range everyone else seems to be having along with the course fee's for other half ...... so any left over from that will be a bonus and go staright to the contingency fund!!

I would very much appreciate a copy of that paperwork, I will contact you soon, thanks again.

fairygodmother Aug 9th 2009 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's (Post 7826266)
We r also here in melbourne on a student visa with two boys aged 11 & 9 yrs and school fees are a killer, thankfully only 6months left and then we can consider which visa option to apply for afterwards.. All I would say is that the victorian education authorities arent exactly the best for sending out invoices, so even though you've got to pay the fees at some stage, it maybe a year later than expected if you know I mean...

Good luck with your plans..

Hi Carlton Cold's

Lucky you only having 6 months left!! That's also good to know about how inefficient they may be!! Can you tell me at what stage into your first year there you were invoiced? If you don't mind.;)

Thankfully have only one for school for now, other one's turning 3 soon.

Our original plans were for a 457, have contacted lots of employers and recruitment agencies, they've all said not very likely as OH job is kinda generic and what with the new rules DIAC introduced with employers having to prove they've advertised job and been unable to fill it, makes it very difficult........

So we just want to get there and know it's not going to be a walk in the park, neither was our lives here until OH got redundancy package, we were living of cash he earned from bar work on second job!......So our day to day lives will be much the same if not slightly better on a student visa and come 2-3 years it'll all be worth it i'm sure of it.

Wherabouts are you living? We'll be going to northern suburbs - hopefully Preston/Reservoir area as have family in Preston and Thornbury so it's all good!

Thanks again, sorry for waffling on!!

Carlton Cold's Aug 9th 2009 11:38 pm

ello, we opted back in feb 08 to pay by two yearly instalments, so we paid 6months when they started school in feb 08 and only just got invoiced end of june this year, yes this year for the second payment for 2008 and also mentioned we are required to pay for this year aswell... Havent actually paid them yet, but have replied...

Later this year we plan to apply for the 3-yr 487 provisional visa, as believe this is the best route for us..

We live on the north/west in a nice village called keilor. It takes us around 20 mins via car to get to the city, or sarah catches the train for college which is 25-30mins... Ive been to preston a few times, its only around 15mins from us I reckon and actually I brought our car from a factory outlet called 'custom fleet' in preston...

Take care
Russell & Sarah