Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne rentals - what's the competition like at the minute?

Melbourne rentals - what's the competition like at the minute?

Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne rentals - what's the competition like at the minute?

Originally Posted by koalakim
p.s. we've got to go through it all again soon as rent going up plus we fancy moving out a bit - not looking forward to it!

don't forget the removal offer.....

Buzzy
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne rentals - what's the competition like at the minute?

Hurrah!

We got the place that we wanted most, pretty chuffed and very relieved. I think the fact that we viewed it before it was on the net and put an application in within hours helped and we didn't have to pay more than the advertised rent. We've learnt a hell of a lot in the last week so I'll do a Melbourne FAQ for renting to save some other poor souls from the learning curve and stress that we've had to endure!

Am having a very relaxing Easter so far, bliss not to have to scour the web and pound the streets.......

Edna x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:22 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Hurrah!

We got the place that we wanted most, pretty chuffed and very relieved. I think the fact that we viewed it before it was on the net and put an application in within hours helped and we didn't have to pay more than the advertised rent. We've learnt a hell of a lot in the last week so I'll do a Melbourne FAQ for renting to save some other poor souls from the learning curve and stress that we've had to endure!

Am having a very relaxing Easter so far, bliss not to have to scour the web and pound the streets.......

Edna x

Great news Edna. Let me know when you've your FAQ list done as I'll be really interested in taking a look. Hoping to go in June!
Enjoy
Irish Gal
Old May 16th 2008, 7:40 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

The bad news for renters...
May 17, 2008
Surging rents put state top of nation
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...765176395.html

Research by Residex shows that for the year to April the median weekly rent for a house in Melbourne increased by 22.95% to $375, eclipsing all other capital cities. Sydney recorded a 19.05% rise in rents.

John Lindeman, chief property analyst at Residex, said Melbourne's population was growing at a faster rate than the national average, with those locked out of the housing market forced to rent, driving up prices. "And it could get worse for that reason," Mr Lindeman said. "Combine that with new arrivals into the city, and I think that will drive up rents."

The good news is that the median house price has dropped !

For the March quarter, Melbourne house prices recorded their biggest fall since 1993. According to the REIV, the median price for a detached home in Melbourne in the March quarter was $432,500, a fall of 8.4% from the December quarter median of $472,250.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

hello_cmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there .
This seems scary . We are planning to move next March .
Will please someone help me understand few points.
I am living in USA now so as a reference all that I would have will be verification letter from my current rental( have been living at this property for 3 years) and at the letters from US employers .
Will this cause more problems ?
Also somewhere I read about thatwe need to show documents worth of
100 points .Can someone point me to that link ?

This site is great . I admire everyone who takes time to help newcomers