Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Rental Property - the low down

Melbourne Rental Property - the low down

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ruptured gonad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Rental Property - the low down

We have been in Melbourne for 3 months now and still cannot find a half-decent rental property. All the properties we have looked at (about 50) do not look the same condition they do on the popular real estate websites. The standards inside are far worse than we have experienced in the UK. I will attach a few examples from a property we viewed this week.

Even if we did manage to find an acceptable property we are then dealing with the issues that Real Estate agents DO NOT return phone calls or make any contact after submitting a tenancy application.
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Rental Property - the low down-dsc02227.jpg   Melbourne Rental Property - the low down-dsc02225.jpg   Melbourne Rental Property - the low down-dsc02231.jpg   Melbourne Rental Property - the low down-dsc02232.jpg   Melbourne Rental Property - the low down-dsc02228.jpg  

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Rental Property - the low down

Originally Posted by Ruptured gonad
We have been in Melbourne for 3 months now and still cannot find a half-decent rental property. All the properties we have looked at (about 50) do not look the same condition they do on the popular real estate websites. The standards inside are far worse than we have experienced in the UK. I will attach a few examples from a property we viewed this week.

Even if we did manage to find an acceptable property we are then dealing with the issues that Real Estate agents DO NOT return phone calls or make any contact after submitting a tenancy application.
what price bracket are you looking in, which suburbs (and how may beds)?

My experience is you get what you pay for. We started our search at $200 pw and soon realised that to get the standard we wanted in the suburb we wanted we'd have to go higher. Ended up paying $330 pw. Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
what price bracket are you looking in, which suburbs (and how may beds)?

My experience is you get what you pay for. We started our search at $200 pw and soon realised that to get the standard we wanted in the suburb we wanted we'd have to go higher. Ended up paying $330 pw. Good luck

The property above was a one bed in South Yarra for $350/week. We are budgeting up to $450.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

OMG, that's terrible.

Have you tried looking in some of the outer suburbs. Do you have to live close to town?

There are some really nice places out where I live, and the rents are really reasonable.

Try Croydon, North Croydon, Croydon Hills, Park Orchards, Wonga Park, Ringwood, East Ringwood, Heathmont, Lilydale, Boronia, even a bit further in like Mitcham, Box Hill, Mont Albert.

Regards
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has just got a great little 3 bedroom in Mornington for $300 a week.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jaykay
OMG, that's terrible.

Have you tried looking in some of the outer suburbs. Do you have to live close to town?

There are some really nice places out where I live, and the rents are really reasonable.

Try Croydon, North Croydon, Croydon Hills, Park Orchards, Wonga Park, Ringwood, East Ringwood, Heathmont, Lilydale, Boronia, even a bit further in like Mitcham, Box Hill, Mont Albert.

Regards

We have looked in Hawthorn, Malvern, Prahan, South Yarra, Camberwell, Kooyong. We don't even bother any more to look at properties below $300 as they have all been fairly grim in that range. We are extending our search along the bayside.

Another observation from our experience: if a property is available for viewing NOW, ie the estate agent has the keys, then it is not worth looking at. Only those properties that are viewable only by appointment, ie still occupied, are worth viewing as these tend to go straight from one tenant to another.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ruptured gonad
We have looked in Hawthorn, Malvern, Prahan, South Yarra, Camberwell, Kooyong. We don't even bother any more to look at properties below $300 as they have all been fairly grim in that range. We are extending our search along the bayside.
You are looking at possibly the most expensive suburbs in Melbourne. They are the "trendy" suburbs and you will always pay more for them.

I would suggest looking at suburbs one or 2 away from them so you have easy access but dont have the postcode.

I love the Caulfield/Hawthorne/St Kilda areas so I looked at Ormond and got a lovely 2 bedroom flat for $200. Close to transport and only 10 mins from St Kilda.

Good luck on your search,

Hels
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:52 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just found a really nice weatherboard bungalow in Williamstown - 2 beds - clean and spacey - $235pw. Lovely area. Maybe I have been lucky, but they are there.

Goodluck, Cas
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I have just found a really nice weatherboard bungalow in Williamstown - 2 beds - clean and spacey - $235pw. Lovely area. Maybe I have been lucky, but they are there.

Goodluck, Cas
Cas,

Glad to hear you have found somewhere nice. Looks like things are falling into place for you. Really glad to hear it......

Good luck hon,

Hels
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:20 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
Cas,

Glad to hear you have found somewhere nice. Looks like things are falling into place for you. Really glad to hear it......

Good luck hon,

Hels
Thanks It was nice meeting you btw
I'll send you a piccy on msn - I'm on dial-up to it make take an hour or two!!

Cas