Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Real Estate

Melbourne Real Estate

Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Question Melbourne Real Estate

Hello

Anyone know of good real estate websites and/or suburbs to live in/avoid in Melbourne.

Want to do some research on areas, costs and housing.

Thanks for your help
Lissy
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

dawn a is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.realestate.com.au

try this one - we are heading that way pretty soon.

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Real Estate

Originally posted by lissysarah
Hello

Anyone know of good real estate websites and/or suburbs to live in/avoid in Melbourne.

Thanks for your help
Lissy
Well I'm no expert ... but I've been looking for answers to the same question and have gathered the following info from this forum:
Web sites: www.domain.com.au www.property.com.au ninemsn.realestate.com.au
Places to go: Seaford, Somerville, Frankston, Parkdale, Mentone, Ringwood, Balwyn, Templestone, Black Rock, Wonga Park, Mount Eliza, Mordialloc, Nunawading, Glen Waverley, Berwick, Sandringham, Hampton, Brighton, Cranbourne, Boxhill, Heidelburg, Ivanhoe, Thornbury, Northcote, Fairfield, Kew
Places to avoid: Springvale, Richmond, Dandenong, Coburg, Deer Park, Sunshine, Noble Park, Footscray

Some of these I know are a long way out of Melbourne but as I said, I have gathered this from various posts over the last month or so.
Hope it helps!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks for your help
Lissy
Hiya...

try this website out

http://realestateview.com.au/buy_res_melbourne.html

I have found this site spot on... My in laws live in the bayside suburbs and that is nice. My wife would not live in the Northern outer suburbs... As with britain the more beautiful the place name the scrattier the place so Sunshine and Broadmeadows are a bit of a no no... Inner city suburbs are mixed, Collingwood and Footscray are nice if you are a smack head, less so if you are not. (c'man the Pies!) Everyone will have different faves...
Cheers for now...
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks for your help
Lissy

Have a look at www.hockingstuart.com.au
www.buxton.com.au

Most of the real estate agents have their own sites which provide better info on individual houses. Some like the two above provide floor plans etc so you get a better idea of the Aussie house styles. The Buxton site give good details on different suburbs.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
Places to go: Seaford, Somerville, Frankston, Parkdale, Mentone, Ringwood, Balwyn, Templestone, Black Rock, Wonga Park, Mount Eliza, Mordialloc, Nunawading, Glen Waverley, Berwick, Sandringham, Hampton, Brighton, Cranbourne, Boxhill, Heidelburg, Ivanhoe, Thornbury, Northcote, Fairfield, Kew

Hope it helps!

Most peeople I talk to say avoid Franston if you want to wake up in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm no expert ... but I've been looking for answers to the same question and have gathered the following info from this forum:
Places to avoid: Springvale, Richmond, Dandenong, Coburg, Deer Park, Sunshine, Noble Park, Footscray

Some of these I know are a long way out of Melbourne but as I said, I have gathered this from various posts over the last month or so.
Hope it helps!

What happened to poor old Ferntree Gully
Old Apr 27th 2004, 6:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
What happened to poor old Ferntree Gully
I think we heard that it was full of Scotsmen, wandering round in Village People outfits....

Anya.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 6:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by anya4oz
I think we heard that it was full of Scotsmen, wandering round in Village People outfits....

Anya.
And Polish, Dutch, German women eating Tim Tams !!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:19 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
And Polish, Dutch, German women eating Tim Tams !!!!!
Oh no - not the Tim Tams again..... :scared:

Anya.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it helps!
You could go on for ever but I have to point out two suburbs you have said to avoid which are actually very up and coming and now would be the time to consider buying there.

Footscray and Richmond. They are not what they used to be. The new suit gang is moving in and they are extremely popular areas for any up and coming yuppies. I wouldn't dismiss them quite yet......
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it helps!
I put my purely personal list in another thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=226361

Do a search on Melbourne in this forum and you will get stacks of other info.

As someone else said the individual estate agents websites can be better than the realestate.com.au domain.com.au sites because you get more info, pictures etc. A few such sites:

http://www.williamsre.com.au
http://www.sweeneyestateagents.com.au
http://www.wilsonpride.com.au
http://www.comptongreen.com.au/movie.html
http://www.jasstephens.com.au
http://www.barryplant.com.au
http://www.barryplantdoherty.com.au

OzTennis
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Cranbourne is definitely not a place you want to head for. Full of bored teenagers and troublemakers. Richmond is very much up and coming - it's about about 10-15 years since it was considered a no-go area. Kylie Minogue owns a number of properties in that area. Hawthorn, Camberwell, Balwyn and Surrey Hills are all nice but Box Hill has a couple of dodgy parts but it's good overall.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:07 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
I put my purely personal list in another thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=226361
Well my list has been duly updated. Thanks to all. OzTennis, you must have been really, really bored the other day
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Well my list has been duly updated. Thanks to all. OzTennis, you must have been really, really bored the other day

Either that or a very quick typist and 'cutter and paster'.

I agree with the other comments on the 'burbs. Footscray has been cleaned up a lot and the terrible drug problem it once had has been largely moved elsewhere. The 'suits' have moved into Yarraville and Seddon which were once working class suburbs but property prices have already tripled there in the last 10 years. The 'ripple effect' works very much in Melbourne. Suburbs adjoining desirable suburbs eventually see an influx and prices rise - this is what will happen in Footscray which is near the above. It happened in Newport which is next to Williamstown but prices are already pretty hefty there so people are too late!

I agree about Richmond as well. As well as the 'suits', like Footscray, the Vietnamese have moved into large areas as well. Lots of people are looking for inner city living and don't fancy the high rise buildings of flats in Southbank and Docklands so Richmond, Carlton, Fitzroy etc are popular.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.