Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Quickie over Easter - things to do please?

Melbourne Quickie over Easter - things to do please?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Quickie over Easter - things to do please?

Hi guys. So, our 189 is now nearly 9 or 10 months long in the tooth, and we've simply GOT to make that validation trip before Easter to make sure we buy ourselves another 4 years to decide whether to reapply for another 189, pay extra for an 188 (*gasp*) or give up the dream altogether and just stay put where we are (since we seem to be so adverse to making a move, sigh).

Wife and I will fly down to Melbourne and we're thinking of doing the touristy things that we've never done in Melbourne. We'll just be there for a week, and we planned to do only one major item per day (not spring chooks no more, sadly. So far, for the first day, we're going to spend a lazy morning/afternoon just trawling the stalls at Queen Victoria Market and probably a city tour in the afternoon.

The next day, we've planned a visit to a fruit orchard (where the missus can enjoy picking fruits, a real treat for a Singaporean girl, so I've been told). Beats me, but I'll just enjoy the drive from South Wharf (where we've booked a nice hotel stay) to the Yarra Valley, and I'll get rat-faced while she toils in the sun fruit picking.

Day Three is a whole day trip to Phillip Island. There's something about waddly penguins that appeal to the inner child in all of us, and that's something both of us are looking forward to tick off the bucket list. Oh, and add on the fact that there'll be more driving involved for me - win win situation!

I've also squeezed in a spa retreat to the Peninsula Hot Springs. That'll take up Day Four.

So, we have Day Five and Six left to fill. Any suggestions to offer from those who are more familiar with Melbourne please?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Quickie over Easter - things to do please?

Get out and go to the Great Ocean Road. Would do that again in a flash.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh! That's a peach of a suggestion! Can't believe I totally blanked out on that while planning the itinerary! Thanks mate!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

A few suggestions:

An excellent thing to do is to visit the Royal Botanical Gardens - walking distance from CBD. So much to see for free. The War Memorial across the road and the sporting complex (MCG, Melbourne Park tennis, AAMI Park etc) can also be taken in if interested and the walk along the river is great.

Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges is a nice day trip - lovely scenery, wineries, food etc. Mt Macedon/Macedon Ranges similar.

A boat trip from Southbank to Williamstown and back. Much to see in Williamstown.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

And that firms up our short week in Melbourne. Thanks so much OzTennis - the Gardens is a great suggestion. I've been there before but She Who Mist Be Obeyed hasn't.We'll do that on the last day before we fly out. Thanks fellas for your suggestions again! Much obliged.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience you both get up and jump in the shower with a smile on your face : it's on an easy come, easy go basis.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In my experience you both get up and jump in the shower with a smile on your face : it's on an easy come, easy go basis.
That might have been the case 25 years ago, when the shower could fit 2 of us comfortably. Alas, one pint too many has done me in....